Thanks for being here

This is a discussion on Thanks for being here within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; ***** UPDATE***** I went to my appointment today. Doc said my leg/ankle was looking good. . The past week I have been able to put ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks for being here

***** UPDATE*****

I went to my appointment today. Doc said my leg/ankle was looking good. . The past week I have been able to put pressure on the leg, leaning on my forward foot/toes. I am stoked. They cut the cast off and put me on a boot that I can take off and is washable. I just have to continue to becareful. I have another appointment in 3 weeks.
    I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel ! :)

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Glad to hear that Art - sounds like the worst is over and it's all a much brighter light at the tunnel's end.

Won't be too long and the whole deal will be just a bad memory. take care.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Artz , does that mean your well enough ...........

for us all to ups you our old dirty guns and allow you to clean them and ship them back now ??

LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

bring'em on....
    Just make sure you have return postage and have someone get all mine out for me so I can clean'em too.... :)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    << is contemplating falling off a tractor myself , since stepdads ace hand here in colorado quit , i have been kinda filling in for him over there , scatters me across a triangle about 20 miles on a side running to " stamp out burning ducks " if you remember that old joke , i am home today waiting on a phone call ( most of the area does not have any cell service ) . Either he gets somone hired , or i swear i am gonna fall of one of them crappy tractors to have time to play with my new mini lathe since i got some tooling lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Exclamation Amen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    Prayin' for your recovery Arthur, God bless bro!
    Prayers UP! God Bless, my friend.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    A little late (been outta state), but hope all heals well, Artz. Never broke a bone but have been down once for an extended time. It does suck. Good luck!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Glad to hear you're coming along Art, just take it slow and let things heal as they should. I'd be more than happy to give your guns some range time if you'd like to ship them my way - no no, don't thank me ... it's the least I can do!
    Jack

Arthur,

Just saw this thread, sorry it took me so long to respond.

I can relate to what you are going through, and I know what it's like to have to spend long days waiting on bones to heal. Back in April of 2003, I hit a deer while riding my Harley, the resulting impact pretty much broke the entire right side of my body. Shoulder, collarbone, sternum, all the right side ribs, right foot, right ankle, and right leg. The leg was broken in 20 places between the knee and ankle, my right foot was turned completely around and tucked up under the leg because the bones above the ankle were so severely broken.

Hospital, surgeries, rehab and a hospital bed in our living room for just about six months. The leg did not heal between April and October, I was being advised that it might have to be amputated if the bone would not start growing. The ortho surgeon tried something pretty radical as a last resort, took a lot of bone from my hip and transplanted it down in my leg. By December, new bone growth had started, and the rest was uphill from there.

It still doesn't look too good in the x-rays, so much new bone has grown that it put pressure on the bottom three screws holding the steel plate in my leg and broke them. Not much of a problem though because the new bone had adhered itself to the plate and screws.... even the broken ones, it is all pretty solid now. The bone formed an arch between the two leg bones, actually forming one solid bone. The smaller leg bone was to broken to 'heal', but it joins into the new mass of bone.

I walk a little funny as a result of everything, but at least I am walking ! Whatever the docs tell you, just hang in there and let the time pass by. As long as you have time on your side, things will eventually heal.

I'm going to try and post an x-ray, the larger pics were taken a few months ago, the smaller insets were taken back in 2003 about a month after the surgery to place the plate and screws. Not pretty, but it gives you an idea that no matter how bad your injury is, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hang in there, PM or e-mail me if you ever feel a need to talk.

Dave
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Holy Moly Dave - all that too.

One of those things riding a bike that does give me cause for some worry - but being a fatalist plod on and take best care I can. Most worried I guess when my wife is on board - and that is often in summer.

Excellent to see the X-rays - with my med background they tell me quite a lot. It is hard now to ID the actual number of fractures but - best thing I do see is your ''tib/taloid'' joint has a nice joint space - tho the fibula lateral condyle on the right pic does seem to show a bit fuzzy with spacing.

The ankle joint being a mortice joint does tho look way more serviceable than the trauma suffered might have suggested - the surgeons did a pretty good job. The bridging between tibia and fibula is probably for the better overall.

You sure went thru the wars and I'll all but guarantee - you suffered most of all from the rib fractures!!!! Very glad you got patched up and are still here to tell the tale.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks Chris, you are right.... I learned real quick that it was no fun to sneeze !

VIP Member
    Art, I don't know how, but I missed this thread. A little late, but I have added you to our prayer list. Hope things continue to improve.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

My best wishes for a prompt recuperation Art, you are in my prayers. I am convinced that prayer and positive thoughts from the members of THR helped me pull out from a difficult angioplastia last August when I was in the hospital.

Regards,
    Juan C.

We've added you to the family prayer list and we hope your leg heals up right as rain.

Thank you for the prayers everyone .... they are the best gift to receive...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links