What broke with new upgrade of vBulletin?

This is a discussion on What broke with new upgrade of vBulletin? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; With the upgrade to vBulletin v3.6.0, a number of features are "broken", but hopefully have fixes available. I will be researching to see if there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DC Founder

With the upgrade to vBulletin v3.6.0, a number of features are "broken", but hopefully have fixes available. I will be researching to see if there are updates as time allows. What I have found so far in this category are:

• Carry Gun in profile. This one really surprised me, but when the upgrade was complete, the forum would not display until I disabled it. I believe I know what the problem is and will be working on the problem over the next few days. When it is fixed, you will have to re-enter your carry gun.

There are, unfortunately, a couple of items that do not have updates available and may not for awhile. I will be looking for a replacement product as quick as I can but since these products must be researched, purchased and installed, it will most likely take awhile to get the features back up. These broken products are:

• The Member Gallery (vBadvanced Gallery). This may just require a re-install.

• Related Concealed Carry Links (vBadvanced Links Directory). This may just require a re-install.

And, finally, there is one option that has been disabled to address performance issues and will not be re-enabled until their effect upon forum performance is resolved. They are:

• Check Thread Subscription options. This option would notify the user that they are subscribed to a thread by displaying a small icon when viewing a forum and search results. It will also change the "Subscribe to this thread" text when viewing a thread to "Unsubscribe from this thread". This feature, it was discovered had a negative effect on performance and was disabled.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Bumper, this is a problem, I don't know how big a problem it is. It will depend on how people have the site bookmarked. My favorite (bookmark) that I use to bring me to CombatCarry does not work. I skip the entry page and go directly to the forums. When I saved it months ago it was saved as: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/

If I used that now I get a blank page. Just white from top to bottom. I have tried it in IE and in Firefox. This morning before going to church I checked to see if you had the site back up and got the white page. I figured you were still down. When I got back a few minutes ago I tried again and still got the white page.

Then I went to the entry page at http://www.combatcarry.com/ and clicked the link at the bottom of the screen to see if something had changed. I saved the page as a favorite and the link is now:
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/index.php

If your link does not have the index.php in it you get just a white page. I don't know how many people have the old link without the index.php saved as a favorite, but it could be quite a few. These folks won't get the site unless they figure it out like I did. Is it possible to reset the server so that index.php is the default when http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/ is entered. I believe that was the way it was set before.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

DC Founder
    I'm looking into that right now, George. QKShooter emailed me to tell me the site was down and I relayed the "index.php" addition that is required but haven't seen him on.....
    Bumper

DC Founder
    Okay, I altered the index page (the white page) to add a link to the forum that works, as a quick and dirty fix. I am going to be working to resolve this so the "index.php" is not a requirement.....
    Bumper

Lead Moderator
    That's why I got a white page this morning.

I thought it was an artifact of the update being in progress. Anyhow got in this afternoon with no problem.

Also, just noticed that the little check marks that let me know I'd responded in a thread are now missing. That one will drive me nuts!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

So far the only thing I noticed was the carry gun listing under the Avatar. I had not noticed the checks missing from the threads I had subscribed to but honestly, that isn't a big concern for me.

Thanks for going through all this to keep this site up to date and working as best as it can. I for one appreciate any and all the time that the moderators and other admins devote to making this the best CCW fourum on the web.

Thanks again!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Also, just noticed that the little check marks that let me know I'd responded in a thread are now missing. That one will drive me nuts!
    Check marks? What check marks? In subscribed threads?
    Bumper

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Check marks? What check marks? In subscribed threads?
    Guess after all this time I never realized that when you answered something in a thread you "subscribed" to it. Figured the system was just being nice and compensating for what little was left of my poor memory! But it will still drive me nuts!

(Did I miss something else....... Again?)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

DC Founder
    Your member account is set to "Subscribe with no notification", which is not the default. That will subscribe you to every thread you post in; the default is "Do not subscribe". I am sort of uneducated to what is displayed when you subscribe to a thread as I have never done it. I get several hundred emails a day and just never volunteer for more.

You can change that in the User Control Panel if you want to stop the subscriptions.....
    Bumper

3sh
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Okay, I altered the index page (the white page) to add a link to the forum that works, as a quick and dirty fix. I am going to be working to resolve this so the "index.php" is not a requirement.....
    rename any other "index" pages in the /vbulletin/ directory.

Leave only index.php, that will solve it.

if there happens to be a index.html or index.htm... it will take presedence over the index.php.

Bumper,

I just sent an e-mail with a couple ideas for fixing the "index.php problem". Though it looks like 3sh may have beat me to the punch.

3sh
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasPatriot View Post
    Bumper,

I just sent an e-mail with a couple ideas for fixing the "index.php problem". Though it looks like 3sh may have beat me to the punch.
    ya... this file is the culprit
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/index.html

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasPatriot View Post
    Bumper,

Yup, thanks both of you, that was it. I guess I need some sleep. I always, in previous upgrades removed the index.html file. This time I didn't....
    Bumper

Assistant Administrator
    I think htaccess would also put the php on top if needed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I think htaccess would also put the php on top if needed.
    Depends on whether the webhost allows that type of setting to be changed in htaccess or not. I try to avoid htaccess as much as possible these days, as far too many webhosts severely restrict it and don't have any pages telling you what they restricted.

(Yes, I've gotten spoiled by having my own server.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links