Why is my post count going down?

This is a discussion on Why is my post count going down? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; My post count is going down. I’m not that concerned about my number of posts, but I started noticing that I seemed stuck in the ...

JT [OP]

My post count is going down. I’m not that concerned about my number of posts, but I started noticing that I seemed stuck in the mid 660’s, despite posting several times. I was at 665, and now I am at 663. I know that none of my recent posts have been deleted (I’ve been good).

Has someone been deleting old threads?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrator

Talking Hi JT

I used to date a really beautiful girl that was also stuck in the mid '60s so...I feel your pain.

She was quite ditzy & "Earthy" but, extremely cute.

Oh...Sorry! You said: "mid 660s"

I posted a copy of your thread in the P. Staff Area.

I'm sure Bumper will be able to figure it out.

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I used to date a really beautiful girl that was also stuck in the mid '60s so...I feel your pain.

She was quite ditzy & "Earthy" but, extremely cute.

Oh...Sorry! You said: "mid 660s"
    Yeah, 660's. Better to be stuck in the Roman Empire, than be a hippie stuck in the 1960's.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

JT [OP]
    <--- Strange..my post count went up 3, after two posts.

Assistant Administrator
    Until Bumper posts - I think it could be because he had to run the post count script to adjust some apparent discrepancies since the upgrade.

Chances are it might have made small changes to several folks. My take anyways.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    As Chris said, above, I initially thought that there might be a post count problems based on something I saw in a member that rarely posts. Since I had just upgraded the forum script I ran the script that re-calculates the totals by counting each members' posts. This is something I never do unless there is an indication of a post count problem.

There are a couple of things that will cause a post count to go down or, simply not go up.

• Individual posts, that have been either deleted (very rare) or moved out of the public area of the forum (much more frequent), are not used in tallying post counts. Post counts are not negatively effected, however, until the script is run. A good example would be a spammer that posts a spam thread as his first post. His post count will be 1. If we move the post out of the forum, his post count will still be 1. If I re-run the script, his post count will be reduced to 0, which is usually not a problem because a spammers membership here is measured in minutes. Unfortunately, a legitimate member who may have posted in that thread will see the same result.

• All threads and posts posted to the Buy, Sell, Trade forum have no effect onpost counts.

I'm sorry it affected you, JT, but I expect that you had one of the legitimate posts in a thread that turned ugly and was moved. While I wish we could just "clean up" some of the nasty posts rather than remove them, it becomes extremely time consuming and the posts turn out "looking odd" to others as they view these posts. If we can get away with simply deleting an offending post we usually do it.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    <--- Strange..my post count went up 3, after two posts.
    This happened because this thread was copied to the staff area, resulting in an "extra" post for you (and everyone else) that posted to this thread before mine. I guess you could say you got a partial refund from us on the post counts you lost.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

JT [OP]
    Thanks for the explanation Bumper. I'm not that worried about my post count, so it's not a big deal. I just thought it was weird, and thought I would say something in case it was an indication of a problem.

Links