Moving Slow

This is a discussion on Moving Slow within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Over te last couple of days, I have had several problems with the forum moving very slowly. Is COmbat Carry having some server issues?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Slow

Moving Slow

Over te last couple of days, I have had several problems with the forum moving very slowly. Is COmbat Carry having some server issues?
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

2. Remove Ads

Slow

Same prob here.
    ....Skye....

off & on at times
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I've had the same problem yesterday. The first time I wanted to get on typed in log in info and hit submit and nothing happened, then tried again later and very slow and didn't wait to get on.
    Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

Administrator

As slow as an elderly snail on pain killers crawling through a puddle of molasses.

It seems better as of right now though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm an admin on another site that runs the same software and I have to tell you (though I don't know much about the hardware that this server is running on) we had to upgrade our server many times in the first few years due to increasing membership, increasing demand, and the fact that it can just be hard to find a good host who can reliably serve a popular forum. I've noticed the slowdown lately as well and was wondering if it had to do with increased server loads or something else.
    Though this is just a wild guess and bumper will probably be along shortly to explain.

Administrator
    Bumper stays right on top of the upgrades.
    He is always working behind the scenes doing various assorted computer things that are modestly incomprehensible to me.

He is like the "Man Behind The Curtain" on The Wizard Of OZ.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Not to mention we apparently have bots and other ne'er do wells roaming the site, auto-registering and posting spam and the like. Perhaps a CAPTCHA plugin or similar device could cut down on these attempts and salvage some bandwidth?

DC Founder
    Well, it's driving me nuts as well. I posted this in another thread so if you recognize it....

There is a problem with the performance lately and it seems to get fixed for awhile and then start degrading again, in a cycle. Since I prepaid two years of hosting a few months ago, unless I upgrade our hosting "plan" I don't have a quick resolution to the problem. The forum has almost reached the size that I may need to get a dedicated server but that's not in the budget just yet. As raysheen said, as popularity grows so do the hosting issues. We do have the search bots crawling us all of the time which has only a minor impact on us because I have throttled them back rather dramatically a few months ago. We don't allow auto-registering. Our spammers register just like everyone else. They just don't last very long.

I'll call the hosting company's technical support and see if I can get some kind of solution or recommendation, but my experience tells me it won't be overnight....

Another thing that definitely has an effect is Christmas. Every Christmas we have slowed down dramatically, but this, so far, has been the worst. I expect that someone is co-located on the server with us that is having a heavy number of visitors this time of year.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper is right everymajor holiday or coming up to it we get a lot more traffic

Also there have been a lot of service attacks lately and other parts of the web are dreadfully slow also

I can get 2 sites to run as fast as my cable should almost all the guns sites be it manuf or the few other gun boards i go to there all slllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwww

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - just going thru a mega slow phase again

I judge general speed quotient by how fast or slow my webmail window opens or changes - that too is slower but - not bad either so it is our server that seems to have the edge on slow
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I havent been able to get on at all the past couple days. I kept getting a "database error". Now if I click on "combatCarry CCW Forum" at the top left of the page, I get the same error. Also is very slow...

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I havent been able to get on at all the past couple days. I kept getting a "database error". Now if I click on "combatCarry CCW Forum" at the top left of the page, I get the same error. Also is very slow...
    Database errors seem to have been a host problem. The technical support guy jumped on it pretty quick when he couldn't connect to the database server. Not sure about the error you get when you click in the upper left, I'm not getting that one....
    Bumper

Just a question. Is the server located in the Northwest? We had a HUGE storm here, and 1,000,000 people have been without electricity (Ours just came back, after 24 + hrs/ and our other computer is DEAD).
    So I hope not too many others are having to get new hardware also.
    I'd rather spend it on new lead-spitters, LOL.
    Harold B
    "God made men, Sam Colt made them equal"

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold B View Post
    Just a question. Is the server located in the Northwest? We had a HUGE storm here, and 1,000,000 people have been without electricity.
    No, the server is located in Kentucky. Ate least they would have an excuse if it was located up there. I'm thinking maybe woodpeckers took out a circuit....

Seriously, it appears to be clearing up. My response has been pretty good this evening and I have not had any errors generated off the server since last night <knock on wood>. Some of you in the northwest may continue to experience problems with the weather up there, however, the server is just one potential problem. The path your Internet requests can slow down dramatically from interruptions in key areas of the country....
    Bumper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links