Gunsmithing?

This is a discussion on Gunsmithing? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi All, I am wondering if there is a place where gunsmithing "how-tos" should be posted, or if you'd rather avoid that topic altogether. If ...

Thread: Gunsmithing?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Gunsmithing?

Hi All,

I am wondering if there is a place where gunsmithing "how-tos" should be posted, or if you'd rather avoid that topic altogether.

If it's the latter, I understand as there may be a liability issue.

Thanks,

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Ideally the general firearms forum - but making the point perhaps that (as a disclaimer) any suggestions are just that - and not per se, recommendations by default.

If written as a ''what works for me'' type of deal that is perhaps best - with input being probably one of personal experience etc.

Odd things do crop up from time to time which could be called ''smithing'' - but any readers should be aware that even if posted in good faith - they should not be taken at face value always, for safety' sake.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lew

like the disclaimer on "myth busters"

Don't ever try this at home, we are professionals yada yada yada...

I think Darwin was an Optimist. Reminds me of a joke about how booze only kills the "weak" brain cells. Society needs to stop protecting the really stupid people.

It is the same reason there are only 2 schools I know of that acutally teach gunsmithing, (in Colorado). There are several homestudy courses but who actually thinks that would teach you well. You call around the various manufactureers and most will only teach the armorer course if the person taking it is law enforcement or military. It is crap.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Administrator
    Well, also on reloading data...folks should always double check loads for themselves and work up to maximum type loads.

A disclaimer doesn't hurt but, admittedly does not help much since the true idiots don't pay any attention to them anyway.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post

You call around the various manufactureers and most will only teach the armorer course if the person taking it is law enforcement or military. It is crap.
    No, it is capitalism. It is in their best interest to get you to go to the shop to get your gun fixed. You may decide to pick up another one when you go in. Or, you may just decide it isn't worth the trouble and expense to get it fixed, so you'll buy a new one.

The companies that make guns don't do it as an act of good will. They're there to make money. If you don't like it, get yourself hired at a job that will allow you to take the courses.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Moderator
    Gunsmiths are of two schools. Parts changers and parts makers.
    It depends on how far you want to take it. The better schools will teach machining techniques and all of the details that go with the gun buisness.

You can be a parts changer and work on guns and do some repairs or you can learn basic machining techniques and do the whole thing, like rechambering,rebarrelling,crowning, action blueprinting and anything else that requires expensive machine tools and all of the stuff that goes with it.

Your gunsmiths in most gunshops will only do the parts changeout with maybe a some polishing and tinkering to get things to work properly. Others specialize on one particular model such as the single action .45 gurus or the AR-15 guys.The other gunsmiths can make rifles from scratch but they are few and far between and they usually have a waiting list of people that want to get things done.

I think that a forum of how to do specific things complete with pictures and discussions would be great.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

rmw
    There are more than 2 places to learn gunsmithing . I graduated from Lassen in Ca in the 80's and then after that earned my living as a gunsmith for about 10 yrs but have since moved on to job where the earning potential is greater . At the time I went there I believe LCC was the best thing going the head instructor was the guy who did the majority of the AGI vids . The one in AZ I believe was started by former LCC students . There is the one in Colorado which is probably the best known , one in PA at one time there was one in MN plus there are NRA summer courses . I was working for Bob D when he was making the AGI videos and he used the same format he did in his DFR classes at LCC , they could probably teach a few seasoned gunsmiths a few things and would be very good for the tinkerer or aspiring gun butcher . IMOH the reason it is limited is because there is not much money in it , everything is getting more uniform in mfg "which is good" and more throw away . Allot of parts no longer have to be fit , they are drop in . This is not to say that hand fit is not better . It is , but when 80% of the population is happy with there Glock it is going to cut into the business of the gunsmith . And I know there is custom work on Glocks but it does not take the same level of skill as making a quality 1911 or properly fitting a python then step it up again to a guy who can regulate a double gun or fit a new hinge pin and time a fine double gun . It's just the way times change.I don"t know how well any of you know George Hill "I don't" but I could swear someone once told me he went to LCC
    Last edited by rmw; January 1st, 2007 at 02:07 PM.

VIP Member
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Links