Database Errors - Page 2

Database Errors

This is a discussion on Database Errors within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Just a quick update...I have had no more Database Errors tonight and in fact, not since 1pm or so today. (I have had a bad ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Database Errors

Just a quick update...I have had no more Database Errors tonight and in fact, not since 1pm or so today. (I have had a bad chest cold and called in sick today )

But, the site seems to be running very slowly tonight. Every time I hit submit to post my comment on a thread, it takes about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes for the post to go through.

I do hope the speed issue is cleared up after the server reboot tonight.

Bumper, I'm just going to throw this out there and you can do what you will with it. What about a system to take donations for the site so you can raise the money to get it on a dedicated server? Something like Glocktalk has where each person who donates would have am icon under their name denoting them as a CombatCarry contributor? Or even with no designator. I would be happy to donate some money toward getting the site on a dedicated server and speeding things up. If it will make the site better, I am will to help out how ever I can.

This is the best concealed carry oriented site on the web in my opinion and I will do what I can to make it better and help it stay great.

Thanks for the hard work again!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

DC Founder
    Thanks, good to know the database errors have cleared up for others as well. I have spent tonight poking around and I believe there's another problem, probably caused by the other website, but possibly earlier burps. It appears that some of the indexes are messed up so I am going to dump the indexes and rebuild them now. That means the site will be down for a little bit (which I hate to do), but would like to get it done before the server re-boot. Ya'll bear with me for tonight and hopefully our problems will clear up.

And, thanks for the offer. I have always tried to keep the site completely free. If it comes down to moving us to a dedicated server or some similar arrangement, I may have to cave in, but not until I'm sure we are not just having problems related to the indexes. I expect that this will take a couple of hours tonight....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    Bumper, I'm just going to throw this out there and you can do what you will with it. What about a system to take donations for the site so you can raise the money to get it on a dedicated server? Something like Glocktalk has where each person who donates would have am icon under their name denoting them as a CombatCarry contributor? Or even with no designator. I would be happy to donate some money toward getting the site on a dedicated server and speeding things up. If it will make the site better, I am will to help out how ever I can.

This is the best concealed carry oriented site on the web in my opinion and I will do what I can to make it better and help it stay great.

Thanks for the hard work again!
    I'll second everything said here, a remember back in the summer, simular was brought up.

Bumper,
    You are a very generous host, and as was mentioned before, a lot of people here would be more than happy to have the chance to give a little back, and assist with the expence of maintaining this site.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

We could raise money quite easily without having a subscription fee.
    I've been on forums where there is a paypal account that anyone can contribute whatever they like, whenever they like, it just needs a small icon or banner publicizing it somewhere on each page.
    I acknowledge some here won't like paypal but we can use something similar.
    Or we could have auctions. We all have extra stuff in our safes that we don't use, holsters, flashlights, mags etc. We could auction them with the winning bidders paying the forum admin.
    Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure we could make a $1000 or so fairly painlessly.

DC Founder
    I really DO appreciate all of the offers to help out on the site and, honestly, one day soon I may have to seriously consider it. We've grown to the point that we may need to think about moving to a dedicated (or semi-dedicated) server. I am going to try and find out if there are other hosting options available through this host. I prepaid a couple of years of hosting back in the summer to get the lowest cost so moving elsewhere isn't an option right now.

The good news is, the problems seem to have cleared with the maintenance and re-boot.
    Bumper

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    We could raise money quite easily without having a subscription fee.
    I would never consider a required subscription fee. If we had to do something, it would be voluntary.
    Bumper

Lightbulb Auction

The auctionsounds like a great idea.

The site is much faster tonight. A vast improvement over the performance of last night.

Thanks for the hard work Bumper!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Cool XP Pro & Firefox

very slow the last couple of days, did some system maintenance and switched to IE seemed to help., still slow but al least moved
    Semper Fi

The site is still faster today that it was the last few days.

Have you found anything else that was causing the problems Bumper?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

DC Founder
    I still need to re-index the database, but have run into a problem in running the script. I'm working with the hosting company to get the script re-installed that will allow me to re-index. There are some problems with the index which would slow down some actions as they use the index. Hopefully I can get this ironed out this weekend....
    Bumper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links