Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumper! Site is much faster!

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Ron 
#1 ·
Bumper! I am not sure what you did during the time that the site was down Monday night but wow, what a difference. The site is much faster and the pages load up at amazing speed!

I hope it lasts because I could really get spoiled by this and I like it!

Thanks for the hard work!

#4 ·
Bumper,

You may have to slow it back down some - I used to have time to get a cup of coffee, now I can't even blink. LOL! GOOD JOB!

Didn't you re-index? You think the re-indexing just needs to be done every now and then to keep the speed up or did you find something else?

#7 ·
yeah, what they said. This site is rockin' now. Must have dumped a lot of fuel into the fire. thanx

#8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, it really helps to know what others are experiencing. I kept the site down a little longer than I had intended last night but I ran every maintenance script I have available to me. When I turned it back on and tested it appeared to me that it was much faster but I really couldn't tell since there was not a real load on the database.

I have come to the conclusion that some of this was of my own doing by not regularly taking the site down and doing a full maintenance. I believe, if performance stays good for the next several days, under heavy loads, that I will perform a full maintenance every month. Hopefully I can do this mostly late at night to impact the least number of people, but sometimes I may have to do it as time is available.

Please let me know if you experience any more "slowdowns".... :smile:

#13 ·
Sad to say yes - this morning things slowed bad again. Submits were taking an eternity and tho they ''got thru'' eventually, and ''took'' - it was not apparent, and so, double taps could occur.

#17 ·
After noticing it slowing down again last night I stayed up and poked around some more in the configuration. I found a problem with the product that gave us the second blue navigation line with all the links in it, which we now don't have. As soon as I removed that product performance popped back to "pretty darned good". We need the second navigation line, but not at the cost of performance.

I'm not convinced that all problems have been resolved yet, but it's looking much better. Next I am going to limit the search bots. They have been pounding us pretty hard lately. Last night there were over 100 on us at one time. That has a big effect on performance....

#20 ·
Yep...sorry to report that here in West Tennessee tonight it is very slow again. Posts take a long time to actually go up (20 seconds to a minute) and just clicking on one of the topics to look at the threads inside takes a minute or more for it to go to the page.

Sorry to report it Bumper but something else must be going on.

#21 ·
Bumper,

It is now 9:15 Saturday morning. When I first got on, the site was fine, but it has now again slowed to a maddeningly crawl. I am also getting over the last few days error reports whenI can't connect. This is new for me. I do have high speed internet service and recently defragged my computer. Just thought you might like to know.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.