Contributing Members

This is a discussion on Contributing Members within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Just as an aside, it might be a good idea to look into a small google text ad at the bottom of the page for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contributing Members

Just as an aside, it might be a good idea to look into a small google text ad at the bottom of the page for additional "consistent" revenue. Not only would it be small, it'd be text-only, so no annoying flashing picture ads or anything of the sort. Just a small, context-influenced text ad at the bottom of the page.

And before anyone asks, no I'm not a google agent or something, it's just that I've found these types of ads to be the most nonintrusive, non-attention grabbing type on the web.

btw I'll be waiting patiently for the donation system to be up, as I'll gladly contribute as well. :)
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

2. Remove Ads

Rather than a new category of member, why not just a small "flag" like the IM, e-mail or other flags? Just curious................

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Rather than a new category of member, why not just a small "flag" like the IM, e-mail or other flags? Just curious................
    I like it R&G. I'm with this one.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

DC Founder
    I have the donation page ready to go, but don't have a good plave to put it yet. Changing vBulletin scripts is not the most intuitive thing to do, not to mention it will break every time I have to do an upgrade.

You won't see any other advertising until we get moved to a new server. You will, generally, take a small performance hit anytime you have any advertising on the page regardless of how small. Not to mention, advertising is another of my pet peeves that I will have to ease into, if at all. It sort of depends on how donations go. I am not out to make money off this site, we only need what it takes to pay it's own way in terms of hosting and software.

The small graphic is something I am still trying to figure out how to do so it doesn't break everytime I upgrade the script. For now, I setup the "Contributor" category (which may get a name change) so our contributors have recognition. I like the idea of having a small graphic down with the others as referenced above.

Again, I appreciate all of the kind words and support you have all expressed here as we try to get the site upgraded.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

DC Founder
    I have temporarily added the donation link to an announcement that appears at the top of each forum page. It's not visible when you are within the "New Posts" search result page. This is not permananet placement, but something I could put up until I get the script for the second navigation bar upgraded. Not very low key, is it?

Anyway, it's there for those interested to use. And, again, there is no expectation on our part here that you must donate to the forum. As donations come in I will move contributors into the contributor category, which can take up to 24 hours to do.

If you experience any problems with the donation process, please don't hesitate to PM me so I acn get it resolved.

Thanks again to all of you....
    Bumper

VIP Member
    The response must be huge....Paypal is now down!

I'll try again in a little while.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Darn it, Bumper! Ya went and overloaded PayPal with your traffic!

Distinguished Member
    Great Idea! I'm in and have done did it.

Learned a lot here and want it to continue.

Semper Fi.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - PayPal was s-l-o-w .......... must be stressed out by CC members LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    ....it was nice and fast when I went on.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Great timing, since I was going to log on and complain about getting the busy server message all day. Glad you've decided to upgrade, and glad I could help some.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I've gone in and donated to CC via PayPal. May I humbly make a suggestion: Please notify donators at the anniversary of their donation. That way they would be reminded that its a good time to give back to the forum. Example, 1/21/2008 I would get an email or when logging into CC, I would see a message stating that I donated a year ago.

Assistant Administrator
    May I humbly make a suggestion: Please notify donators at the anniversary of their donation.
    sojourner - not to pre-empt Bumper's comments but - not sure how easy this would be to implement and - depending on the degree of donations received it is just possible a surplus could be created. No harm in thinkin big

If that were to be the case then a surplus could sit on one side earning interest and so make a call for extra donations in 12 months less necessary. I have been to this situation when I ran a board and it is possibly a case of putting out the ''hat'' again when needed instead of having annual donations regardless.

I will tho let Bumper respond to that one for a definitive answer. It is more than appreciated when anyone feels able to ''chip in''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Paypal not gun friendly

Is there another way to donate, I do not use pay pay as it is not gun friendly.

PM me with an address to send a check/money order?????

Thanks,

Eric

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    I've gone in and donated to CC via PayPal. May I humbly make a suggestion: Please notify donators at the anniversary of their donation. That way they would be reminded that its a good time to give back to the forum. Example, 1/21/2008 I would get an email or when logging into CC, I would see a message stating that I donated a year ago.
    I'm not sure there's an automated way to do this, but I will see if there's a way to make an area available that the date could be entered so you will have a record of the transaction. You would still have to "look it up", but at least it would be available....

I have created a "Donation Date" at the bottom of the User Profile page that can be edited. Not a real slick way to do it, but the best I could do on short notice...
    Bumper

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links