Contributing Members

This is a discussion on Contributing Members within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by ecbaatz Is there another way to donate, I do not use pay pay as it is not gun friendly. PM me with ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Contributing Members

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    Is there another way to donate, I do not use pay pay as it is not gun friendly.

PM me with an address to send a check/money order?????

Thanks,

Eric
    Eric, I know some people will not donate because PayPal is not "gun friendly", but PayPal is the the only transaction processer that it makes sense, in the forum, to deal with at this time. Most take a pretty sizeable cut off of a transaction in addition to charging site setup fees and monthly minimums based on volume. We are not dealing with volumes, at this time, that this would make financial sense.

Even though PayPal may not be "gun friendly", they are owned by eBay, who auctions gun related items (not guns) from their website. I'm also not really sure how one would go about checking the politics of other transaction processing companies to determine who is gun friendly or not either.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I will be honest and admit - that while I do try and boycott anything and everything anti gun. I do also have to give in sometimes to pure convenience.

So many organizations are anti these days it gets difficult and I confess I do resort to PayPal - simply because thus far - nothing else provides that convenience.

In this instance it has to be really the ''de facto'' choice, to enable max input with minimum admin workload.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'll Do This Too...

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Eric, I know some people will not donate because PayPal is not "gun friendly", but PayPal is the the only transaction processer that it makes sense, in the forum, to deal with at this time. Most take a pretty sizeable cut off of a transaction in addition to charging site setup fees and monthly minimums based on volume. We are not dealing with volumes, at this time, that this would make financial sense.

Even though PayPal may not be "gun friendly", they are owned by eBay, who auctions gun related items (not guns) from their website. I'm also not really sure how one would go about checking the politics of other transaction processing companies to determine who is gun friendly or not either.
    PM me an address and who you want the check made out to...I have the checkbook, letter, and stamp...right here next to my gun!
    I already PM'd you about doing this...thought others may want to do the same...so I'm posting it...
    I assume you would accept donations by check...I'm already using the product! I think it is important to help with the upgrades to the site...Bumper, you do an outstanding job!

retsupt99
    Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Paypal

I understand why you are using paypal and I do not have a problem with it. I just do not have an account.

Is it possible to send a check or money order instead.?

Eric

DC Founder
    You don't have to have an account to use PayPal. They will accept transfers through a PayPal account, a credit card or a check. We've already had a couple of people use checks rather than credit cards.

As far as other ways to donate, the only other way would be to mail it which I can PM an address to those that would prefer that method although I will probably turn around and deposit it into the PayPal account to keep all of the funds in one place and available for paying forum related bills without having to remember how much is coming in by mail. PayPal also let's me refer back to the transaction if there's a question or problem. I will PM my address in a bit....
    Bumper

I am 100% in. This sight has taught me soo much and the fact that everyone here has morals, ethics and etiquette makes it that much better. Cheers to you all!
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

DC Founder
    I made a change to the script handling the donations. It works out the same but instead of giving you a blank box to enter an amount into it gives you a number of choices in a drop down box. The result is the same except it is being handled by the internal vBulletin script. This, I believe will automate the changing of a Regular member usergroup into a Contributor usergroup. And it creates an internal log of all transactions instead of having to go out to PayPal's site. As you can tell, I am still tweaking this....
    Bumper

No Luck...

PayPal will still not take my card...I have no idea why?

I'll wait for an address and mail a check...

Respectfully frustrated,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    OOPS
    Last edited by Echo_Four; January 22nd, 2007 at 12:59 AM. Reason: I was wrong...
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

DC Founder
    For those that have requested it, I have sent a PM with my address. If anyone else interested in donating would prefer to send it rather than doing it online, shoot me a PM and I will send it to ya. For anyone using the mail please give me your member name so I can keep it straight in the member record.

Once again, I appreciate your support of the forum!
    Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I'm not sure there's an automated way to do this, but I will see if there's a way to make an area available that the date could be entered so you will have a record of the transaction. You would still have to "look it up", but at least it would be available....

I have created a "Donation Date" at the bottom of the User Profile page that can be edited. Not a real slick way to do it, but the best I could do on short notice...
    Thanks. Not trying to be a pain. I think it is a good way to remind someone that the last time they helped the cause was a year ago. I belong to a motorcycle forum and they pop up the reminder after a year. Nice way for me to go "oh yeah, it's been awhile. time to get the plastic."

Again, thanks. And great job on keeping the forum up and running.

DC Founder
    Changing over to the vBulletin donation script worked great. Now, when you you donate, there is a log entry made that I can refer to in case of any problems. For the record, I never see your credit card number or account information; all we get is a member name, date, and transaction reference number. The best thing is that your member category is changed immediately so you will see the color of your name change to purple.

I am still toying with the title so have temporarily rolled it back to the rank title controlled by the number of posts. Don't be surprised if you see that changing off and on all day, possibly even breaking a time or two. I should have a permanent change made by this evening. I'm sure our overnight visitors were wondering what was going on, lol.

I want to also take this opportunity to thank all of you that have donated. It is very much appreciated. We could have never hoped for a greater group of members, but I want you all to know, as I've said before, no donation is expected by us. In fact, I would prefer you not donate if it's not within your budget or it would cause you hardship to any degree. Having you as a member is enough.
    Bumper

Thumbs up Just noticed the opportunity to donate. I'm in!!!

(If only for the smileys)

:dito:
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links