Thanks, Bumper! - Page 3

Thanks, Bumper!

This is a discussion on Thanks, Bumper! within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Thanks, everyone, Mark Price is really the hero of the day, however since he accomplished virtually all of the move of scripts and data. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thanks, Bumper!

DC Founder
    Thanks, everyone, Mark Price is really the hero of the day, however since he accomplished virtually all of the move of scripts and data. I will get back with some of the details in a bit, seems we have some breaks here and there and I need to get a grip on them.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; February 1st, 2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Correct Mark Price's first name.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Bummer though the downtime was, Bumper got it back up and running double-quick.

If you're in the Portland area, dinner and a pint o' beer is on me.
    Bumber it was a typo.

+1 pint of Guinness from Kansas City area.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Thank you, Bumper! She is a sweet cruiser now!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'll agree with all said, cept I aint buying no dinner in Kansas City (or Portland either). But if we make it to Tulsa this year, I will buy you a BBQ Sandwich from the concession stand. It is appriciated.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Thanks for all your hard work Bumper!!!
    +1 nice job!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

thanks Bumper, you the man!!

incidentally, who was the old host? pulling the plug with no advanced notice and having to fight to get the sql database is pretty unprofessional, I'd just like to ensure I avoid using them ever.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    thanks Bumper, you the man!!

incidentally, who was the old host? pulling the plug with no advanced notice and having to fight to get the sql database is pretty unprofessional, I'd just like to ensure I avoid using them ever.
    The old host was mentioned on the page that was us yesterday, so I'm sure Bumper would not mind me stating the name again. (If I'm wrong, Bumper, delete it.) The name of the company is: Host Excellence. I have been calling them Host Non-Excellence for the past day and a half.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Wow, nice job, the site is very snappy now.

DC Founder
    Host Excellence, who I have never really had any trouble with before, yesterday showed their true face to me. While I understand that in the shared hosting environment, a host must preserve the integrity of their network, they went way beyond that.

When I logged in yesterday morning, I found us down and I went into the MySQL control panel to run a maintenance script on the database. What I found was that the database was gone. I contacted them at about 11:00am to ask them what was going on. I was hoping that they simply picked a bad time to maybe move our database to a new server or something in light of all of the performance problems. What they emailed me back was that we were the problem and that they had suspended the database until such time as I could guarantee that we would not overload their server again. Doing so would result in a suspension of not only the database, but my account, which has recently been paid up for two years. I have also been a customer of theirs for over two years as well.

I wrote them back and told them that I had turned in tickets to them on several occasions for poor performance of the site and nobody had ever pointed to us as the problem and that I really didn't appreciate them treating me like I was running a malicious site by simply removing my access to the database without notice. I could not guarantee that we wouldn't overload the server again because I couldn't get to the database to change the configuration. When they didn't answer, I redirected all traffic to the other domain with the page explaining to all of you that we were down but not out. I then contacted them back and told them I could now make that guarantee and for them to restore my access so I could back it up and move it to Mark's server. He was standing by all day while they ignored me.

I called them yesterday afternoon since they had not answered, nor restored my access and was told they were "working on it" and I should have access momentarily. Four hours later, I called them back and finally got someone that seemed to be sympathetic to our situation and promised me that I would have a solution within 10 minutes. In just over 30 minutes they closed my ticket out saying they had backed the database up for me told me where they had put it. I notified Mark and he made the move and got us up overnight.

Now, here's the real problem. They "suspended" it by chmodding the database to 000 (for all of our more technical members) and I believe that they must have corrupted it in the process. Or lost it entirely. We lost three days worth of activity because they delivered me a restore from a backup made on the 28th, not a backup made last night. Otherwise, we would have not lost anything. They are clearly covering their tracks on losing our data and I plan on writing a letter to Host Excellence, and their mother company eCommerce, Inc and let them know about how they treat their customers.

This loss has caused the loss of 3 days worth of threads, posts, changes I have made in the forum, PayPal script log entried (I still have the transactions on the PayPal website), and moderator/adminstrator actions. Any spammers we have banned during that time period have now become unbanned. But worst of all, we lost about 80 new members and their posts. I also don't have a way to contact them to explain the problem. All around, Host Excellence has ripped us a new one. IMHO, they do not deserve my business, nor do they deserve yours. I am going after a refund on the remainder of my hosting contract with them and I will simply move my hosting business elsewhere.

Mark Price, on the other hand, has earned our business. If you need someone that will "go above and beyond" I would certainly recommend Tranquil Hosting. .
    Last edited by dr_cmg; February 2nd, 2007 at 02:16 PM.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper thanks for the hard work and effort you and the other admins. put into this site. Y'all do a great job. Keep it up!
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

You have my gratitude too Bumper. Not only is it improved but it works the best of several I am in.
    Last edited by tegemu; February 2nd, 2007 at 05:35 PM. Reason: misspelling
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

VIP Member
    Works great. Glad it's back up. Thanks for your time you put in on this.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Fantastic work! Ahead of schedule and it's flying! Thank you! Now.....get some well earned sleep!

And the smilies came too! They be happy!

Thumbs up Thanks!!!!

Great recovery, FAST system, and as is typical of this site.....

MUCH MORE THAN HUMANLY EXPECTECTED..... DO U GUYS HAVE ANY REAL LIVES

Thanks Bumper!

Thanks for the hx info with past provider... must'a been h e double toothpicks last few days..... have a couple 'a cold ones
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Thank you very much bumper, the new server works very well. Also, thanks for your financial commitment to this site.
    Curry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links