Thanks, Bumper!

This is a discussion on Thanks, Bumper! within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; You've worked your butt off getting us back up and running on the new host. Not only did I have a forum to read while ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks, Bumper!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Thanks, Bumper!

You've worked your butt off getting us back up and running on the new host. Not only did I have a forum to read while eating breakfast, but it seems like you've chosen a ringer of a host, as everything is smooth and instantaneous. Thank you for being so passionate about what you (and we) believe in!

-Joe

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Thanks, Joe, yeah, it was an experience I don't want to repeat anytime soon. I'll explain events of yesterday, in detail tonight when I get in from work, but can tell you the new host went way above what you would expect of a host. Mark Price of Tranquil Hosting deserves most of the credit for getting the site working again while I was fighting with the old host.

And, if you think this server is a vast improvement, wait a few days. Mark moved us to this server, which he had available, on very short notice. We are currently in a virtual private server (VPS) environment, which is still shared. It's shared hosting, but has a dedicated share of resources. Quite a few less accounts on this server than the last one, but I expect our traffic could still cause a problem with other folks. In a few days we will be moved to our own bright and shiny new box with all of the available resources dedicated to us.

Thanks, again for everyone's patience while we worked through this problem and continue to make improvements in the forum. We'll just call it construction dust...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Thanks for all your hard work Bumper!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

"My mouse doesn't work. The screen's sticking. The <quote> button's aren't functional. What happened to putting comments in "blue" or "green"? Why doesn't the <MemberList> search by years on the forum? Wh ... <SMACK>"

Ignore him. He ran off his meds.

Wow, up on a new host? That must have occurred within an hour of hitting the donation target. Congrats on getting up so quickly.

Thanks for the hard work!!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Yes, thank you very much. I was sitting around last night, shaking and sweating like I was coming off of Heroin. Couldn't get my gun or carry fix. Whew, bet everyone will be happy when the move is finally completed. Good job!!!!!!
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

The site is blazing fast so far.

Thanks Bumper! Heck of a job you've done!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

DC Founder
    We seem to have lost a couple of days worth of posts so if you don't see something you posted between the 28th, up to yesterday when we went down, that is the short version of what happened. Some of you have undoubtably lost your donation graphic as well. I will get all that straightened out tonight.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

It's definitely faster. By a large margin.

• Search -- Takes a second or two, max, to "think about it" but then pop right up. Even with several criteria. The other was often lagging bigtime, on just the display of the results.
    • Changing forums -- Hopping from area to area (say, Classifieds to Tactical Scenarios) is several times faster than before.
    • Posting -- Little delay, once the post has been swallowed by the editor.

Overall, a nice improvement.

Suggestion: If the run queue is piled full of searches, quite a lot of speed can be gained by limiting the number of searches that can be performed in a short period of time. Say, 1 search per 20sec, or per minute. That sort of throttling back on the search priority can make a dramatic improvement, in situations where the run queue is showing the search requests hammering the system. Something to consider. (Not that I want delays on doing a search, but other than hardware change it's one of the few obvious things with big impact.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Bumper,

I wanted to thank you for your hard work.

Also, I sensed the difficulty you were having and sent a thank you e-mail to Tranquil on behalf of the membership of CC.com. It seems that real service is harder and harder to come by these days. Anyway...

Dave.

WOOOO HOOOOO BUMPERS THE MAN !!!!!!!!!! I can actually cruise through the site without that pesky Vbulliten of the servers too busy try again later alert
    Bumper and those who contributed THANK YOU VERY MUCH I'm sure all of us here at combatcarry appreciate all your donations and hard work to get this forum back up and running as fast and effciently as possible Iknowiknow the dumb redneck misspelled the word...... I shoot good not spell good hehehehehe I feel like a freeloader since at this time I dont have the financial backing to make a donation, started new job things been a lil tight. You bet your backside though as soon as things get straightend out I'm firing some $$$ towards this forum, Gotta make sure we all have a place to call home in the future

+1!

Thank you very much for all your work on this forum! I'm really glad you've got it back up (I was beginning to show withdrawal symptoms ).

BUMPER!!!! You da man!!!!!!

I manage a few sites...but none of them, unfortunately, has been as successful as this one. It's a nice problem to have.

Oh...yeah...donating shortly...

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Glad to have the forum back. Thanks Bumper.

Another thank you, forums like this and others mean a lot to me.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Agreed, Bumper, I appreciate all of your hard work. I'm glad that you were able to make then switch so quickly. Yesterday was tough, because not being able to access the forum on a day off had me "Jonseing". But glad that it's up. I'll just have to accept that there will be more downtime shortly, but it could be worse. The forums are already much faster. I suppose the move is also why some of my posts seem to have disappeared. No biggie. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links