Thanks To Contributors - Page 2

Thanks To Contributors

This is a discussion on Thanks To Contributors within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; This forum is worth than the magazine subscriptions at my house! Just think, for the cost of a couple of boxes of ammunition each year, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks To Contributors

This forum is worth than the magazine subscriptions at my house!

Just think, for the cost of a couple of boxes of ammunition each year, this site can continue as a place where people from all walks can come together to discuss topics important to all of us: our security and the security of our families, friends, homes and communities. I think you'll agree that security and safety are important...

Sorry...I used to work at a public radio station. Old habits...

Anyway, thanks to all who donated and to Bumper for hard work and planning... CC.com is on my Christmas list.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DizTbone View Post
    This forum is worth than the magazine subscriptions at my house!

Just think, for the cost of a couple of boxes of ammunition each year, this site can continue as a place where people from all walks can come together to discuss topics important to all of us: our security and the security of our families, friends, homes and communities. I think you'll agree that security and safety are important...

Sorry...I used to work at a public radio station. Old habits...

Anyway, thanks to all who donated and to Bumper for hard work and planning... CC.com is on my Christmas list.

Michael
    Michael, thanks for starting something I wanted to mention. You added CC to your Christmas list so that we will have funds next year when they are needed again. I would like to suggest that some add CC to their monthly list. Let me explain.

I work for a small, private college so I am not in a high income bracket. I could not afford a big initial contribution, so I arranged for my bank to make a monthly donation. By the end of the year it will be a reasonable total, but I won't miss it because it came out of the account a little at a time.

Bumper didn't want to have to ask for donations to begin with and come a year from now he is going to hate even more asking again. The fact is that we have enough to pay for the first year and a little left over. There are always additional expenses. Bumper wants to add a different photo gallery software so that the gallery doesn't go down every time he upgrades the vBulletin software. That software costs money. There will be other things too, but more important than those is the necessity to have funds in place to continue paying for the dedicated connection.

Anyone who was on the forum in January can tell what kind of difference switching hosts has made. Our new hosting company, Tranquil Hosting, has us on a temporary server while getting out dedicated server ready. When we move to it you will see another improvement in speed. In order to keep that improved speed we will have to keep paying the bills. So if you are able to get your bank to set up regular donations or if you want to make monthly donations by check or PayPal please do. It is my hope that Bumper never has to ask for funds again. In case you think that your small monthly donation isn't important, think about it! $10 per month is $120 per year. If 30 members out of 10,000 gave $10 per month the total at the end of the year would be $3,600. That is basically one year of dedicated server use.

I am not trying to put a guilt trip on you or badger you into giving. I know that there are some of you who can't afford $10 right now much less $10 per month. But there are some of us who could give $10, $15, or $20 per month and never miss it. Can any of us regulars say that we get less than $10 per month worth of information and enjoyment out CombatCarry? I know I get more than that. If I ever doubted it, the doubt disappeared while we were down last week. I think I checked about every 5 minutes to see if we were back up. How about this? If you think you get more than $10 per month worth from CombatCarry set up a monthly donation of $10 and insure that CombatCarry will be around for you a year from now.

Disclaimer: I do have an interest in seeing CombatCarry funded for the future. I do not financially or materially benefit from the funding of CombatCarry. Bumper doubled my salary when he promoted me to Lead Moderator, but remember $0 double is still $0.

Commercial Over. I'm sure Bumper will be a little embarrassed by this, but like I said: "It is my hope that Bumper never has to ask for funds again." This way he won't have to. Thanks for your time and your support.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

George,

Well said!

The idea of building in a monthly giving amount has been around for a long time. Almost every non-profit does it...for example, churches have been doing pledge campaigns for a long time under the assumption that if people pledge an amount, they'll be more likely to give consistently...as have public radio and TV stations.

Now, enter the age of electronic money. I can't say it any better than George did.

One thought, when the dust settles, perhaps adding a frequency selection to the donation page of the UserCP would be worth a look. That is...one might select an amount and then select whether the donation was to be tendered annually (one time a year), semi-annually (every 6 months), quarterly (duh...), or monthly. Thus one could make a considered decision about giving once...and choose the amount and timing that fits in the budget. This just strikes me an easier and more convenient way to allow members to automate their decision to support CombatCarry.com.

Michael

VIP Member
    Michael, thanks for the ideas. That's another great thing about CC we brainstorm pretty well. My bank has in it's internet banking set up the ability for me to schedule payment to anything. If they can find a way to do it electronicly they will, but if not they will send a check. The service costs me nothing. I set mine up to send the initial check. I expect that after the first check in deposited they will do an electronic deposit if possible. So on the second of each month I donate without having to even think about it. The bank sends me an email letting me know that the funds have been sent. The next day it shows up on the online statement. If they send a check they send it early enough for it to arrive on the date I specify. I get the email saying it is sent and when the check clears it shows up on my statement. Practically everything I have to pay goes that way and at .39 per stamp, I can save several dollars per month. It adds up to about $47 per year. Having a Scots background I like saving the money.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

On-line bill pay... My bank has it, too... The only utilities I pay by mail or in person are those that don't accept electronic payment (fortunately, that's only two). Then again...I've always been a bit of a computer geek.

OTOH, my wife just got Internet access to her account a few weeks ago. I'll posit for future consideration that there are Internet users who either haven't started banking on-line or don't trust the on-line banking systems who do make purchases on-line by credit card or EFT. For those who prefer the old fashioned way, a printable invoice and remittance address might be of some use...and it's free.

...just a couple more thoughts to file away for the future that might make donation easy and comfortable for everyone...

Oh...since money is now involved...should Bumper decide to wrap the site in an LLC, I'll be happy to chip in more...

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links