How did CombatCarry/DefensiveCarry get started?

This is a discussion on How did CombatCarry/DefensiveCarry get started? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Being a newbie, I would like to know when Combat Carry started up? Was it a publication before going online? Who started it? Where did ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did CombatCarry/DefensiveCarry get started?

Distinguished Member

How did CombatCarry/DefensiveCarry get started?

Being a newbie, I would like to know when Combat Carry started up? Was it a publication before going online? Who started it? Where did you get such a great website, i.e. who's the webmaster? Who "runs" Combat Carry? How is CC supported? Who makes the rules? How many are registered members? How many members "police" the site? Guess I'll stop there. Is there already a thread for this?
    tx, aznav

2. Remove Ads

Bumper owns the site he can tell ya how it go started he is the webmaster to

CC was up untill last month totally supported by bumper out of his pocket he will accept donations though

Again the rules made by bumper

there over 10k members

Lets see for the mods theres

Bumper
    p95carry
    Qkshooter
    Betty
    Bud white
    Tangle
    Team America
    Srfl
    Gary Brommeland
    Rocky
    Rstickle
    Dr-cmg
    Scott

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - the ''CC skinny" !!

Indeed Bumper could best flesh this out further but Bud has covered quite a bit very well. IIRC it goes back to approx Fall 2004 in its first incarnation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    All of the moderators were selected/judged based on their superior intelligence - extremely good looks - incredible personalities and terrible respective lousy Senses Of Humor.
    That coupled with the fact that we're willing to work for the "Table Scraps & stale crusts of moldy rye bread that Bumper will occasionally toss onto the floor for us. We are highly trained and so have almost no trouble in getting the bread crusts wrested away from Bumper's dogs.
    We all live in one small room above Bumper's 5 car garage and sleep on straw mattresses and with the exception of the garage being overrun with rodents that are infested with fleas that likely carry the Bubonic Plague virus...life is simple but, good.
    Bumper promises that next year we are getting a toilet that flushes with real running water and we won't have to gather leaves for T. Paper anymore so things are eternally looking up.
    We all share the exact same hobby which is cleaning and maintaining Bumper's Olympic size swimming pool in our free time when we're not moderating his forum.
    Occasionally...when the some of the doggone migrant farm workers fail to show up...he will ask us to help pick the grapes in his vinyard but, that is only during harvest season and so (while it is back-breaking work) we may have all the grapes we can eat & that is a very nice break away from the daily bread crumbs.

Seriously, this forum is Bumper's sole brainchild.
    The original set of moderators started out as volunteer Beta testers when the forum was in its tiny infancy.
    The later moderators we selected from a list of possible candidates and were voted on "up or down" with input from all moderators.

Bumper has always footed all costs of running the forum out of his personal pocket right up until we needed a new server due to phenomenal skyrocketed membership that kept crashing the old server that could not handle the radically increased numbers of hits.

Bumper is incredibly fair and "even handed" with all of his Mods.
    He (of course) has the final say on all forum rules and regulations but, accepts and considers constant input from all of the mods.
    Many major forum decisions are put to a moderator vote.
    We (moderators) are all in close touch with each other usually every day.

The "Bumper Objective" is achieving a workable, friendly balance between free speech and keeping the site informative, helpful, clean, polite, and respectful with no personal attacks or flames on other members. The main focus being on legal concealed self~defense firearm carry by responsible citizens.

We were never a magazine or any sort of printed publication.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 6th, 2007 at 07:36 PM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Bumper made a forum when the keebler elves couldnt keep him in cookies fast enough and he got bored , the mods are the ones who can scrounge cookies ... the rest is history . LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    (SNIP)"Table Scraps & stale crusts of moldy rye bread that Bumper will occasionally toss onto the floor for us. (SNIP)
    WAIT A MINUTE!

He feeds you????

(srfl in the wrong line again!)

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Wow, you guys work cheap! In my woodshop I have to pay 50 cents a day, all the sawdust they want to take home for food and mattress stuffing and free slivers! All that for a measily 12 hours a day!

Anyone want a career change????
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    We were never a magazine or any sort of printed publication.
    Especially since none of us can read!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Being a newbie, I would like to know when Combat Carry started up? Was it a publication before going online? Who started it? Where did you get such a great website, i.e. who's the webmaster? Who "runs" Combat Carry? How is CC supported? Who makes the rules? How many are registered members? How many members "police" the site? Guess I'll stop there. Is there already a thread for this?
    tx, aznav
    Welcome to the forum! You can get a pretty good idea of our history in post #1 in this thread. And some of your questions were answered above, particularly by Bud and QKShooter. We officially opened for business July 4, 2004 as a radically different site than we are today. As has already said, I paid all the bills up until a month or so ago, when many of our members stepped up and made donations to resolve some of the performance and technical problems we were having due to our growth.

I started it simply because there was no forum back then that focused on concealed carry topics and I thought it was a niche that needed filling. I did write most of the rules although I also received alot of input about what people did/did not like about some of the other forums. We may seem too strict for some people, but I think the rules are fairly common sense and helps keep things civil. I hope we cast a favorable light on gun owners, in general.

What makes the site what it is, in my opinion, is the contributions of our members. There's a lot of experience and knowledge here for someone needing solid information.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    You guys didn't leave anything for me to say. You know how much I like to talk and you said it all. And by the way, food you get food? srfl, you told me you knew what was what and here I find out about food. No one ever told me I could eat the grapes. Man all this time.

Welcome to the forum and I hope that you like it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    You guys didn't leave anything for me to say.
    George speechless!! We finally did it!!!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Talking

"George speechless!! We finally did it!!!!"

We have not ever been able to slow up P95Carry any appreciable amount though.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh - but I don't have George's flare for essay writing
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    That sure knocked the wind out of my career plan to grow up and be an Administrator/Moderator. Does water come with those bread crumbs?

Assistant Administrator
    Does water come with those bread crumbs?
    It does - but the floating objects in it get stuck in the teeth
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links