'Lite' version of CombatCarry.com

This is a discussion on 'Lite' version of CombatCarry.com within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; This is just a suggestion: would it be possible to create a lite version of this website, that doesn't have any graphics? Basically a text-only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Lite' version of CombatCarry.com

'Lite' version of CombatCarry.com

This is just a suggestion: would it be possible to create a lite version of this website, that doesn't have any graphics? Basically a text-only website. I frequent AR15.com, and you can click on 'Lite Version' at the top of the page and it removes all the extra graphics and logos and whatnot. You can still see pictures that people post in the threads, but that is pretty much it.

I would definitely like a lite version of this website, because when I view the page here at work (lazy slacker, I know), my cow-orkers can easily see the gun logos at the top of the page. Don't want anybody thinking I'm gonna go loco on them or anything, ya know? These days, if you are caught looking at a gun site, people are liable to think you're a gun-nut who's going to shoot the place up.

Would anybody else like to see a lite version of this website?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    This is just a suggestion: would it be possible to create a lite version of this website, that doesn't have any graphics? Basically a text-only website. I frequent AR15.com, and you can click on 'Lite Version' at the top of the page and it removes all the extra graphics and logos and whatnot. You can still see pictures that people post in the threads, but that is pretty much it.

I would definitely like a lite version of this website, because when I view the page here at work (lazy slacker, I know), my cow-orkers can easily see the gun logos at the top of the page. Don't want anybody thinking I'm gonna go loco on them or anything, ya know? These days, if you are caught looking at a gun site, people are liable to think you're a gun-nut who's going to shoot the place up.

Would anybody else like to see a lite version of this website?

how about firefox and adblock? I use it to block certain images and avatars for the reason you mention
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

I completely understand your reasoning here. If my boss is reading: THIS IS NOT A CONFESSION OF FORUM VISITNG AT WORK.

I'll just say that it I'd use the feature.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys arf uses different forum software , I have no idea if a light version could be done , but it would be a burden on the server if possible . Please remember that this forum does not sell " status " for a sliding scale to pay for this . You can config any browser not to load images if needed .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure VBulletin could do this - but for sure it is easiest to turn off all images with browser as a quick fix.

If any thread has pics to view, then maybe note the thread url and check out from home later.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Arf .com selling status is a big issue with me . Now there are a lot of good folks over there , but i am not and will not be a member . I confess that i donated here ( a small amount ) and that bought me exactly NOTHING as it should . I donated to keep the board alive , and will again . The status i have by my name is because i have not had anything better to do than post here , not because i donated to the forum . This forum runs the software that it does ( and folks that aint cheap ) . There are features that i would LOVE to see here that i see on some other forums , but i can live without them . IMHO if you want a light ver , then turn off images . I do agree its nice for the 56k folks ( and the bandit surfer ) to have a " lite " but come on .. you cannot get the " rich ' experiance of CC,com without graphics lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

I don't mean to be comparing this site to Arfcom (apples to oranges, eh?), I'm simply talking about the technical side of things.

Maybe I'll just turn off images in Firefox and use Firefox for viewing CombatCarry, and IE for everything else, or vice versa. I had already considered that, but I just thought I'd bring up the Lite idea before going that route.

Ofclan I dont mean to be bad on this issue either , and i would reccomend a " work browser , and an other ( work being on a thumb drive if possible ) . I personaly am fortunate in the sense that i am my own boss , and i can surf anything i want to .

ya guys are lucky we cant browse at work

Curious, why are you looking at this site while you are supposedly at work?
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

VIP Member
    You can turn off the graphics in your browser. It is not quite the same as text only, but there are no graphics shown just place holders. In IE go to Tools and choose Internet Options. In the Advanced tab go to Multimedia and uncheck Show pictures. Click Apply. Click OK. Refresh. That should provide a page with text and the little icon that show where graphics should be.

You can also get Avant Browser which is a front end for IE. In Avant you got to Tools, Avant Browser Options, Browsing Options and check Disable Pictures, Apply and OK. Avant will not even show the little place holders just the text.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Curious, why are you looking at this site while you are supposedly at work?
    Two words. Conference calls

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Two words. Conference calls
    Two more

Why Not?

DC Founder
    Well, I know it's not an offered option from within the vBulletin software and I don't ever remember seeing a plugin that would offer that functionality. Probably your best bet is to disable images in your browser as others have suggested. There may be some compact browsers that offer that ability by default, but not sure about that.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks all, I turned off images how DR suggested. I didn't know I could do that.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links