PayPal "anti gun"?

This is a discussion on PayPal "anti gun"? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by Bumper [re innocuous transaction subjects] And, although they can't come right out and say that, I'm sure they are fine with these ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PayPal "anti gun"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    [re innocuous transaction subjects] And, although they can't come right out and say that, I'm sure they are fine with these transactions, too. But don't be surprised if you violate the Terms of Service. They are the rules according to California law and you shouldn't be surprised when you break the rules and lose an account.
    Dang. A "violation" of terms? Gee. I guess in their minds I'm a criminal. Got to love it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Lew
    Just so Everyone knows, Paypal is not IN California.

Perhaps the California Laws are the reason they choose a different location for the building.

It sits just off of Interstate 80 a couple miles west of Omaha, NE.

However, being that they are owned by Ebay, they may fall in the California relm as stated by some.

Has anyone the guts to call up Paypal and ask them? I don't want to waste the cell phone minutes as I am close to the monthly allotment.
    Perhaps next month I will if no one else has by then.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

My favorite gun store was forced out of business when PayPal wanted to lease space in the same building. They told the landlord they would not lease unless they kicked out the gun store.

The landlord revoked the store's lease and then finagled them out of their financial backing (business loan from a related source) so they couldn't even relocate.

Then PayPal decided they wouldn't lease there anyway. They built a new building near their other one in the area. Wonder how they like being a stone's throw from a new Cabela's store now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    Just so Everyone knows, Paypal is not IN California.

Perhaps the California Laws are the reason they choose a different location for the building.

It sits just off of Interstate 80 a couple miles west of Omaha, NE.
    According to the Wikipedia article, the are headquartered in California, though some of their operations are in Omaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Their corporate headquarters are in San Jose, California, at eBay's North First Street satellite office campus. The company also has significant operations in Omaha, Nebraska; Dublin, Ireland; and Berlin, Germany.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by hecate View Post
    My favorite gun store was forced out of business when PayPal wanted to lease space in the same building. They told the landlord they would not lease unless they kicked out the gun store.

The landlord revoked the store's lease and then finagled them out of their financial backing (business loan from a related source) so they couldn't even relocate.
    I'm thinking if someone is going to give PAC money to politicians that receive high marks from the NRA, that this would be completely out of character them. I'm thinking, unless you actually heard them say that to the landlord, that that might be a load. The "Brady Bunch" might pull something like that, but I doubt a many others would. There would certainly be other "stories" published out there on the Internet if they had a history of something so childish. There's not even one. Virtually everything I have found is just a rant based on the policy linked, and quoted, above.....

I contacted snopes.com and asked them and they are considering answering the question for the site....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Update on Paypal policy

Since this thread started in 2007, I decided to look up their current policy. They've made their anti-gun policy official. From the Paypal website this morning:

****FAQs
    More answers in the Help Center

What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms?

We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.

For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.

Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.

Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

Stun gun sales are allowed for U.S. residents, but only if the transaction is permitted by law in both the buyer's and seller's jurisdictions. (PayPal account holders outside the U.S. can’t buy or sell stun guns.) Before they complete a sale, U.S. sellers must make sure that the transaction is legal in both locations.

Related items that you can buy and sell using PayPal include paintball guns, blank guns, and air-soft guns, as long as such transactions are legal in the applicable jurisdiction. All of these items must display the markings required by law, must not be convertible to shoot a lethal projectile, and can’t include blank ammunition. *

Source: https://www.paypal-search.com/social...ction&filter=p

If the above link is broken, go to the Paypal website and search for "firearm."
    Last edited by gkthedj; January 20th, 2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Added link to original source

I actually just got a call from PayPal for a listing that I had on GunBroker.com

It was a polymer 80% lower receiver for an AR15.

80% lower receivers are not illegal in that state of California but they still out my account on restriction until I accepted the terms agreement again.

It was no biggie, just a few minutes to take care of but I have to remove the listing and face account revocation if it happens again.

I believe they are trying to abide by the California laws, but even to the point of restricting it down to parts that are not even illegal in Cali is pretty ridiculous. Both on eBay and PayPals part.

PayPal is not so much anti-gun as anti lawsuit.
    If a firearm was transferred illegally (or legally) using PayPal, and was used in a crime, you know they'd be sued.
    Deep pockets. So rather than take the chance they just say no as a policy.
    But I can go on E-Bay and buy magazines and grips and holsters.

Administrator
    Very old thread. 2007

Closed.
    OD* likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links