Forum language sliding again

This is a discussion on Forum language sliding again within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; We have had a rash of language lately that either violates our rules or comes mighty close. Some of it is used openly and some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum language sliding again

DC Founder

Forum language sliding again

We have had a rash of language lately that either violates our rules or comes mighty close. Some of it is used openly and some of it is crafted "creatively" with special characters. On occasion I am guilty of this as well, hopefully only in a minor way.

I'm not a prude by any stretch, but we have members from varied backgrounds that don't appreciate risque language so we try to keep the language clean here. I don't want anyone to have to close their browser quickly when a spouse, the kids or grandma comes up wanting to see what you're viewing.

I encourage everyone to familiarize yourself with the rules and proofread your posts, espcially if you are inclined to type out your thoughts pretty quickly. While we may sometimes think the language is needed to convey our thoughts, they really don't add anything to the post.

Thanks for your cooperation....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

Hear, Hear!!!!!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Well said, Bumper. It's not only inconsiderate, it's just plain lazy.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yeah, guys.

I don't need to cuss to be offensive.

Folks who do are lazy or just not very talented that way.

So let's up our game a little...
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I don't need to cuss to be offensive.
    Cussing's out. Intelligent discourse is in. Cowboy up.

Thanks for the reminder, B.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lightbulb

As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds on language are strongly discouraged. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked.

While some folks surely haven't read this at all or have forgotten reading it, I can see where others may speak differently to respected elders than you or I would. Leaving questions as to where the line is drawn.

Even the TV networks struggle to decide what is offensive, some use "ass" or "*****" freely, while others dub over "damn." At least one channel has thrown around "sh**", but I would think clearly that the "f-bomb" is a no-no. Sorry for the use of the words here, not trying to find loopholes or circumvent rules, only to try to nail down what is expected of all of us.

I'm sure a detailed list of no-use words might be difficult to produce. I will personally try not use any of the above words, since I don't use them around my children (Granda was a potty-mouth). Except perhaps "damn," which I don't use around my kids, but seems to be fairly accepted by society, but then again, I don't use it around my kids. Okay, so I've confused myself a bit.

Any furthur guidance would be appreciated by me, and I'm sure by others as well.

-Lloyd
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Any furthur guidance would be appreciated by me, and I'm sure by others as well.

-Lloyd
    I would say that if you wouldn't say it to your kids, it shouldn't be said here. And if you talk to your kids like a "mad Baldwin brother" we will be sure to let you know.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Exclamation Potty Mouth

Clean it up boys............
    Attached Images

I don't see the need to type swears or cusses.
    It adds nothing and leaves the poster looking inarticulate and unthoughtful.
    I swear in real life, I work in construction. But in 40 years my parents have never once heard me swear, I can turn it off.

I can turn it off.

That is the important thing that people miss. It is a choice, especially with the webnets, your fingers go where your mind sends them - it isn't a 'slip'...

So if you're getting heated in a discussion, or trying to add comedic value, or even plain quoting and you type a word that you wouldn't expect to hear on family tv then press preview not submit, read it through and edit. No creative use of asterisks, no alluding without really changing anything, no spoonerisms.

Then two things happen IMO, nobody gets offended when there is no swearing - and casual browsers see us for the ambassadors of our cause.

And if you really can't do it right then accept that your posts will be edited and censored for you, if that is unacceptable to you then you might want to spend more time elsewhere.

I have always felt that if you have to type astrix ***** to make a word not offensive, then why type it at all. Just find a word to express the same sentiment that is not offensive. Show some class, use a dictionary, become more educated while conversing instead talking trash.

I try and review what I type before posting my comments.

Thanks for the reminder.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I would say that if you wouldn't say it to your kids, it shouldn't be said here.
    Sounds reasonable.

If you talk to your kids like a "mad Baldwin brother" we will be sure to let you know.
    I believe if I talked to my kids like that, my wife would let me know real quick!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I agree, every time I see someone cursing in a post I cringe a little bit. And it seems that the cursing breeds more, I guess people think it's ok if they see it once or something.

I don't use any language here that I wouldn't use in front of my mother or grandmother. And I once got my mouth washed out for calling my brother a jerk.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ah....Now I gotta work on my vocabulary.

I do agree. Nice posts.

Lazy Man

I read a long time ago in a Daily Bread a quote I still use.

"Profanity is a Lazy Man's way of being emphatic"

I still believe it even after retiring after 20 years in the navy.

Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links