A Policy Question - Page 2

A Policy Question

This is a discussion on A Policy Question within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by randytulsa2 Are we all accomplices before the fact (co-conspirators) or accessories after the fact? Or aiders and abettors? It's been a long ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: A Policy Question

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Wink It's been sooooo long since I went to law school...

    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Are we all accomplices before the fact (co-conspirators) or accessories after the fact? Or aiders and abettors?
    It's been a long time since I went to law school and I don't practice. But I do teach Criminal Justice, this year. So I'll give this a shot. (lol)

    A "conspiracy" is an agreement to commit a crime. For the charge to actually stick certain actions must be committed and be verifiable to "advance" the crime. Preparations to act.... to the degree that a reasonable man could say beyond a reasonable doubt the crime would have been committed based on the extent of the preparations taken if "conspiracy" is the sole charge and the crime was prevented.

    I don't think accomplice, or the aid and abetting charges will apply to any forum members if we merely agree in print about topics which we have gathered here to discuss and have no direct participation (to the extent of specific advice) in the actual commission of a crime. Failure to report specific knowledge of criminal action might be misprison of a felony but I'm not certain. Purging material associated with any criminal investigation might be considered obstruction, but only (I THINK) if it is directly connected to the crime charged and not ancilliary in nature. But don't take this as gospel! LOL I've been to law school but I'm NOT a lawyer. Thank God.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,134
    Honestly it would not matter what the board admin did since all the info would be in various cache's that are still avalable .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Array PaulG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,126
    I didn't do it!

    Nobody saw me do it!

    You can't prove anything!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802
    CYA MOTTO:
    #1 Admit nothing
    #2 Deny everything
    #3 Demand proof
    #4 Have a plausible explanation
    #5 Provide a "patsy."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  5. #20
    Member Array floridaguy911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    485
    Ex Soldier, whats a patsy? someone else you are blaming?? I thought the CYA motto was very interesting and helpful, but I am not sure of what a patsy is, unless its a scapegoat or someone another person is putting blame on.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,134
    a " patsy " is normally some one on scene and and maby even loosely involved who is too ignorant to explain away their presence . As a rule when over worked LE investigators are presented with an easy solution they tend not to look further . Right , Wrong , or Indifferent that is the way of the world , once they have a suspect they really resist any evidence that would show said suspect innocent .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  7. #22
    Member Array floridaguy911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    485
    thanks RR
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

  8. #23
    Member Array never_retreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    PRNJ
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post

    That being said, look at the bottom of our main page and you will see at least one search bot, usually more, that are indexing the forum 24/7.
    Is there any way to keep the bots off the site? I'm sure this could be helpfull in diferent ways. Now if you excuse me I'm going to put another layer of foil on my hat.

  9. #24
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by never_retreat View Post
    Is there any way to keep the bots off the site? I'm sure this could be helpfull in diferent ways. Now if you excuse me I'm going to put another layer of foil on my hat.
    I am able to block them, but then how would anyone find us? The reason this forum exists is to make information available to those that carry. Everyone should know that this is a publicly accessible forum and to watch, carefully, what you say. Honestly, though, if you were involved in an incident, how would anyone know about your forum participation, your member name unless it is your real name? There are very few members that I know personally or have knowledge of their real name. That makes me not much help....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  10. #25
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,629
    I found this forum through a google search so the bots are needed. I think that a good (or bad depends on who he works for) can twist anything which ever way he wants to. This forum could show that you were intrested in the legal requirments to carry and did not wish to break the law unintentionally.

    The same lawyer could use the fact that you go hunting and "know which bullets are the most lethal and like killing helpless animals" against you also.

    I am hanging tinfoil strips from my ceiling to keep them from llistening to my brian waves!!!!!!!
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

  11. #26
    Member Array samb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    74
    How can they find out he is a member of any forum unless they have taken possession of his computer?

    While it is still his computer - if it is, I'd wipe the hard drive(s) with ERASER and then take a hammer and a cold chisel to the surface.

    Even the most innocent of things in the hands of a prosecutor wanting to make a name for himself/herself can be twisted and distorted when presented at trial. Let's face it, any jury is going to be squinting really hard at any ccw'r who had the nerve to actually carry a GUN! My GAWD, MARTHA! HE HAD A REAL GUN!

  12. #27
    Ex Member Array Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    How can they find out he is a member of any forum unless they have taken possession of his computer?
    Some members here and elsewhere use real names, real photos and link to their businesses.
    Other than that it isn't hard to find someone online, as lots of high schoolers on myspace are finding after they post a pic of themselves with a pot plant.

    Also, wiping/destroying hard drives could be seen as obstruction of justice as previously noted. What they don't find they could assume is worse than what was actually there.

    And it's all cached elsewhere anyway if you've pressed 'send' on it.

    The best method of damage limitation is simply being polite, sane and legal in all your posts, then all they will find is a responsible citizen.

  13. #28
    Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    749
    As the administrator of a public forum you would be completely justified in freeing up your server from whatever you felt may be clutter. Just like I am compltely justified in deleting my temp files and cookies every time I log off. It's your site, run it as you see fit. However, you would NOT want to do this AFTER receiving a subpeona. IANAL but it is YOUR site.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin


    Previously known as "cjm5874"

  14. #29
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,894

    Post

    This site is like EXTRA MILD hot sauce compared to other sites on the Internet that folks could be affiliated with.

    Concerning watching what you say...of course you should always be mindful of what you say but, should your "common sense" ever fail you in a weak moment...we have a great team of moderators that will yank your foot right out of your mouth using the forum Edit & Delete features.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  15. #30
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    HOWEVER, have you ever considered the possibility that your posts here might actually exonerate you?

    What if it was found you were a member of this site and you gave sound advice and asked very understandable questions in the hope of being SURE you used your weapon in self defense only and were found to be of sound mind and a caring, stable and happy individual? You investigated the safest, most defensible ammo, you looked for holsters and modes of carry well within the law. You spoke respectfully of those in office and the people around you. You expressed your desire to be sure that you will avoid all questionable situations and gave advice to support that fact.

    Your defense attorney could use that as evidence to prove you are just who you say you are, a good guy trying to defend yourself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Navy Gun Policy
    By wjh2657 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM
  2. Don't ask don't tell policy for gun buybacks
    By ArmyCop in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
  3. Bed, Bath & Beyond policy?
    By Dimensio in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: September 7th, 2007, 08:38 PM
  4. Question about pro-CCW business policy.
    By raysheen in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2006, 03:56 AM