A Policy Question - Page 2

A Policy Question

This is a discussion on A Policy Question within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by randytulsa2 Are we all accomplices before the fact (co-conspirators) or accessories after the fact? Or aiders and abettors? It's been a long ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Policy Question

Wink It's been sooooo long since I went to law school...

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Are we all accomplices before the fact (co-conspirators) or accessories after the fact? Or aiders and abettors?
    It's been a long time since I went to law school and I don't practice. But I do teach Criminal Justice, this year. So I'll give this a shot. (lol)

A "conspiracy" is an agreement to commit a crime. For the charge to actually stick certain actions must be committed and be verifiable to "advance" the crime. Preparations to act.... to the degree that a reasonable man could say beyond a reasonable doubt the crime would have been committed based on the extent of the preparations taken if "conspiracy" is the sole charge and the crime was prevented.

I don't think accomplice, or the aid and abetting charges will apply to any forum members if we merely agree in print about topics which we have gathered here to discuss and have no direct participation (to the extent of specific advice) in the actual commission of a crime. Failure to report specific knowledge of criminal action might be misprison of a felony but I'm not certain. Purging material associated with any criminal investigation might be considered obstruction, but only (I THINK) if it is directly connected to the crime charged and not ancilliary in nature. But don't take this as gospel! LOL I've been to law school but I'm NOT a lawyer. Thank God.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly it would not matter what the board admin did since all the info would be in various cache's that are still avalable .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I didn't do it!

Nobody saw me do it!

You can't prove anything!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

CYA MOTTO:
    #1 Admit nothing
    #2 Deny everything
    #3 Demand proof
    #4 Have a plausible explanation
    #5 Provide a "patsy."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex Soldier, whats a patsy? someone else you are blaming?? I thought the CYA motto was very interesting and helpful, but I am not sure of what a patsy is, unless its a scapegoat or someone another person is putting blame on.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    a " patsy " is normally some one on scene and and maby even loosely involved who is too ignorant to explain away their presence . As a rule when over worked LE investigators are presented with an easy solution they tend not to look further . Right , Wrong , or Indifferent that is the way of the world , once they have a suspect they really resist any evidence that would show said suspect innocent .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

thanks RR
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post

That being said, look at the bottom of our main page and you will see at least one search bot, usually more, that are indexing the forum 24/7.
    Is there any way to keep the bots off the site? I'm sure this could be helpfull in diferent ways. Now if you excuse me I'm going to put another layer of foil on my hat.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by never_retreat View Post
    Is there any way to keep the bots off the site? I'm sure this could be helpfull in diferent ways. Now if you excuse me I'm going to put another layer of foil on my hat.
    I am able to block them, but then how would anyone find us? The reason this forum exists is to make information available to those that carry. Everyone should know that this is a publicly accessible forum and to watch, carefully, what you say. Honestly, though, if you were involved in an incident, how would anyone know about your forum participation, your member name unless it is your real name? There are very few members that I know personally or have knowledge of their real name. That makes me not much help....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    I found this forum through a google search so the bots are needed. I think that a good (or bad depends on who he works for) can twist anything which ever way he wants to. This forum could show that you were intrested in the legal requirments to carry and did not wish to break the law unintentionally.

The same lawyer could use the fact that you go hunting and "know which bullets are the most lethal and like killing helpless animals" against you also.

I am hanging tinfoil strips from my ceiling to keep them from llistening to my brian waves!!!!!!!
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

How can they find out he is a member of any forum unless they have taken possession of his computer?

While it is still his computer - if it is, I'd wipe the hard drive(s) with ERASER and then take a hammer and a cold chisel to the surface.

Even the most innocent of things in the hands of a prosecutor wanting to make a name for himself/herself can be twisted and distorted when presented at trial. Let's face it, any jury is going to be squinting really hard at any ccw'r who had the nerve to actually carry a GUN! My GAWD, MARTHA! HE HAD A REAL GUN!

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    How can they find out he is a member of any forum unless they have taken possession of his computer?
    Some members here and elsewhere use real names, real photos and link to their businesses.
    Other than that it isn't hard to find someone online, as lots of high schoolers on myspace are finding after they post a pic of themselves with a pot plant.

Also, wiping/destroying hard drives could be seen as obstruction of justice as previously noted. What they don't find they could assume is worse than what was actually there.

And it's all cached elsewhere anyway if you've pressed 'send' on it.

The best method of damage limitation is simply being polite, sane and legal in all your posts, then all they will find is a responsible citizen.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    As the administrator of a public forum you would be completely justified in freeing up your server from whatever you felt may be clutter. Just like I am compltely justified in deleting my temp files and cookies every time I log off. It's your site, run it as you see fit. However, you would NOT want to do this AFTER receiving a subpeona. IANAL but it is YOUR site.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Administrator

This site is like EXTRA MILD hot sauce compared to other sites on the Internet that folks could be affiliated with.

Concerning watching what you say...of course you should always be mindful of what you say but, should your "common sense" ever fail you in a weak moment...we have a great team of moderators that will yank your foot right out of your mouth using the forum Edit & Delete features.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    HOWEVER, have you ever considered the possibility that your posts here might actually exonerate you?

What if it was found you were a member of this site and you gave sound advice and asked very understandable questions in the hope of being SURE you used your weapon in self defense only and were found to be of sound mind and a caring, stable and happy individual? You investigated the safest, most defensible ammo, you looked for holsters and modes of carry well within the law. You spoke respectfully of those in office and the people around you. You expressed your desire to be sure that you will avoid all questionable situations and gave advice to support that fact.

Your defense attorney could use that as evidence to prove you are just who you say you are, a good guy trying to defend yourself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links