IMPORTANT ~ You Must Learn How To Act.

This is a discussion on IMPORTANT ~ You Must Learn How To Act. within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; You know that we are all here to learn. We are here to learn about self-defense and firearms and accessories and many other things. Some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT ~ You Must Learn How To Act.

Administrator

Post IMPORTANT ~ You Must Learn How To Act.

You know that we are all here to learn.
    We are here to learn about self-defense and firearms and accessories and many other things.
    Some of the things that we (hopefully) learn here - there is no specific forum category for.
    How will you personally handle yourself in the aftermath of a legitimate self-defense shooting?
    How will you act when you are being video taped and recorded and transcribed and every single word that you utter could possibly weigh very heavily on your future?

How will you act when it is absolutely critical that you hold your tongue and keep your temper in check?
    How will you talk when your adrenaline level is through the roof?
    Will you be able to control yourself during an interview when trained people are intentionally trying to provoke answers that they want to hear out of you but, will ultimately be disadvantageous to you?
    Will you honestly be able to keep quiet when a judge is ready to hand down a ruling on you and save your comments until you are alone with your attorney rather than spurting out words in a courtroom that you'll regret forever?
    Will you be able to quell and quiet an angry emotion charged RAGE situation rather than escalate it and end up in deep doo-doo?

Much of what goes on "behind the scenes" on this forum almost all of you are unaware of.
    Some of our members and ex-members have proved that they are incapable of controlling themselves.
    They go totally obsessive compulsive ballistic when one word in their post is changed or they get edited for a rule violation and they start yelling and swearing in Private Mail to moderators about their RIGHTS to free speech.
    They get angry and they get seriously bent out of shape and it usually costs them their forum membership.
    They don't know how to act in a calm, rational, and civilized manner and it is that which they pay the price for and usually never their original infraction.

How will you personally act when the cost to you is Far Greater than a Internet forum membership?
    We are all taught that in matters of self defense that we need to ingrain our defensive shooting habits and skills.
    We also need to UNLEARN bad shooting habits.
    Well, other things get ingrained too.
    The way you act in the course of your daily life is absolutely ingrained also.
    And it's very possible that you have bad life habits regarding how others perceive you and your personality and demeanor that need to be unlearned also.

Read this next part carefully because it's SO Important.

Many people just assume that they have BAD ROTTEN LUCK.
    They wonder why the other guy gets all the breaks.
    They think it's unfair that (for some odd reason) other people somehow manage to become successful while they remain dead~end trapped with a ticket to nowhere.
    Seemingly for some no good reason?
    Actually there are reasons and usually the reason is you.
    Many people never realize that there are HIDDEN opportunities that NEVER come their way because other people, employers, relatives, friends, associates, teachers, instructors, have formed certain quiet opinions about you and consequently you are secretly "ruled out" and never even considered for good things that WOULD HAVE come your way had your personality been different.

I could give you a thousand examples of how your life could be adversely affected without you even knowing it.
    You're Self~Righteous and you have a large ego and possibly a quick temper - and you're always right and nobody can criticize or critique you and you are stubborn and you really don't Give A Crap about what anybody else thinks about you.
    That's just fine but, you should be aware of the fact that you ARE committing Successful Life Suicide by being that way and refusing to change.
    You don't realize that your Bad Luck is NOT Bad Luck but, it's just because the great things that could be offered to you (and would have been offered to you) never get offered to you and never materialize and you don't even know it.
    You're put "out of the running" & you are not even aware of it but, it's really because you don't know how to act and you're incapable of fitting into a structured and civilized polite society.
    A society where you are secretly judged by your actions and your demeanor and your disposition & even your vocabulary.

You may think that's unfair but, that's just the way it is and it's never going to change.
    So...the bottom line is that you're left with two realistic life choices...you can either steadfastly stay the way are and blame your life situation on terrible luck (and other people) or you can attempt to change yourself for the better.

DefensiveCarry.com is a great place to learn how to change.
    We have a set of fairly simple forum rules.
    We expect members to be polite.
    We expect members to control their temper.
    We expect our members to be friendly & we expect them to be respectful Bumper's house.
    It's not really all that difficult.

And it GREAT practice for those other far more critical future times in your life when you might have to remain cool and collected.
    For those times when your very fate may possibly hang in the balance and (like magic) you'll think back to here and remember exactly how you'll need to act so that it's to your best advantage. Try to practice your best behavior here where you are able to "slip up" without it costing you Big Time.
    Learn to accept a little bit of polite, constructive, criticism from a moderator in Private Mail.

Learn How To Let Little Things Go!
    Learn how NOT to be argumentative and combative when it's really NOT a major issue.
    Learn how to save your FIGHT to "fight the good fight" on matters that are important to your health, safety, and well being. Not on a stupid freaking word or sentence that you typed into a gun forum post and you're ready to start the next revolutionary war over it?

How totally dumb is that?
    Learn how to CHILL & Count To 10 before you blow up.
    Life is SHORT and the life mistakes that you make every day compound and build on one another - and before you know it you're trapped into a deep hole that you cannot escape from - and then you're old and dying - and it's too late to know how much better your life Could Have Been had you learned to act a bit better (in general) when it was really important for you to do that.

But, you didn't.
    That's All.
    Stay Safe & Healthy and Happy and don't sweat the little, unimportant things in life...calm down, relax, and look at the big total picture.
    You'll be better off in life for staying here.
    You'll learn other subtle, highly important things that have nothing to with Self-defense but, have much to do with just "Self."
    Don't blow it for yourself over what amounts to nothing.
    Learn how to be the bigger, better, person.
    You'll never be sorry that you learned that.
    All this just my truthful personal opinion.

Your personal opinions and additions will be welcome and appreciated.
    Last edited by QKShooter; September 29th, 2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Spaced out text

2. Remove Ads

Well written and timely. Thank you.

We can still needle Chris about socks and sandals though right?

Dave

Administrator

Thumbs up

That goes without saying. Some things just cannot be let go.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator

Amen! Amen to that!

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Very well put!

Assistant Administrator
    Good work QK

We can still needle Chris about socks and sandals though right?
    Hmmm - guess that one is set in concrete now Dave
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Good work QK

Hmmm - guess that one is set in concrete now Dave
    Maybe a socks and sandals smiley thing would be in order.

Dave

Senior Moderator
    Great post.

It reminds me of a friend of mine put his "theory of life "to me this way...

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Bravo Zulu QK!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Ron
    Thank you for that wonderfully put reminder. It is sort of like what I have called my 100 year rule: If it won't matter 100 years from now, it's not worth getting bent out of shape over.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

A good guide for self assessment, and reminder for anyone in need of a mid-course correction during their journey through life.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well thought out and well written. It makes you stop and think about yourself. Excellent Job!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Very well put, and a great reminder!I think that we all need that a once in a while, as we all get "off the beam" at times.
    Thanks QK!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I agree

I've spent many years learning to get over my temper and stupid little things that bother me. While I'm not perfect, I've come a long way and agree whole heartedly. I've seen too many people fall into so many of those traps and I decided it was my responsibility to change. Well written, sir.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Very Nice QK!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links