Member rating suggestion

This is a discussion on Member rating suggestion within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I felt rated in the few instances that occurred. To add ....... Michael - that IMO is the only rating system we need have - ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Member rating suggestion

Assistant Administrator
    I felt rated in the few instances that occurred.
    To add ....... Michael - that IMO is the only rating system we need have - altho I'd hardly call it ''rating"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

OHH You're in trouble now!!!

You opened a can of worms Just jokeing.

Sounds like the downfall of packing.org. Thanks anyway. I enjoy all the posts, even if I don't agree with you, and I'm sure there are post that I make that you don't agree with. Please don't change.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Definately one of the things that killed PDO, of course there was also no management of the sight after it was instituted. The owner decided that he didn't have time to devote to the site anymore so they instituted the rating system as an attempt at self moderation to allow the owner to pretty much throw it to the wolves and hope the members would be able to keep it going. It might be possible to make it work, but the real question is, what benefit would it give the site? Other than giving what amounts as a pat on the back to those that make good posts and a slap on the wrist to those who don't.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    Definately one of the things that killed PDO, of course there was also no management of the sight after it was instituted. The owner decided that he didn't have time to devote to the site anymore so they instituted the rating system as an attempt at self moderation to allow the owner to pretty much throw it to the wolves and hope the members would be able to keep it going. It might be possible to make it work, but the real question is, what benefit would it give the site? Other than giving what amounts as a pat on the back to those that make good posts and a slap on the wrist to those who don't.
    I tend to agree, while we wouldn't have total chaos due to the higher level of moderation here, the system is in place (along with active moderators) at one of the other forums I frequent, and while it does give a pat on the back for helpful posts, it also gives an avenue for personal attacks as the rating system works both ways.

Then you have people complaining that they don't have any "Points" and such, not to mention that every new user will post a thread on "How does the point system work?"

Yeah, I'm in the no category. Some people start worrying too much about points I guess. We all ready have "Star Envy" now you want to add a point system?

I don't think it's needed, I see enough pats on the back in the open forum. That's one of the things I love about this place, we have great members that post good info.

Or.....

Maybe Sixto just needs a hug?

Administrator
    Oh come on! No points for JD too. I say the stars should be used for my system... and points only can be positive. If its a dumb post, its ignored. That way there isnt all the bickering about it. Also, it wouldnt be open to certain topics... as a lot of what we discuss are a matter of opinion. I'm not suggesting we rate each other on debatable topics. I saying this shoud only be for the "help me" type threads.

OK, so what if you guys thinks its a dumb idea, I'm taking my ball and going home.
    "Just blame Sixto"

DC Founder
    There is a built in reputation system that I long ago decided not to use. Most of the forums that use it are the gaming forums run by people that have to have frequent props to their egos. Here we try to downplay egos in order to keep the peace and not intimidate people that may otherwise not post. There will always be those that either don't know how to use search or just don't.

I think that the best way to handle this is to just make a post in the thread saying, "I know there's a recent thread somewhere. I'm sure it could be used by using search." A friendly reminder usually does the trick.

And, when we encounter a post B or C above, we quite frequently delete it as off topic. If you knew how often this came up in staff threads you would understand our feelings on it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Oh come on! No points for JD too.

OK, so what if you guys thinks its a dumb idea, I'm taking my ball and going home.

Oh yeah, SOMEONE needs a hug.

Comeback Sixto, comeback....

I don't think "Grades" (particularly "negative" grades) are meaningful unless honest examples and illustrations accompany the grade. That is how one learns.

For example: "RnG", that is really a stupid idea (not valuable information because I don't learn from it, I just think "I'm stupid, or "X" is a jerk), or,

"RnG", that point has been made 1,016 times before on this thread alone. Please refrain for just repeating someone else.

So, no, I don't think the idea has any merit. PDO died, etc. If you want to grade, add constructive comments, maybe in a PM? How about it Mods? You could start earning those big salaries!

Oh.....And hugs to Sixto!

All of us should amend our signatures.

I love this place. We should police our ranks. I have been told to back off a few times, or hey here is the scoop, etc.

Edit here: Hey the newest news story relating to firearms is *.* 9100 posts {Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21} We should put a halt to that sort of stuff.

In the usage agreement one should have to agree to a scolding every now and again. Reinforcement works, just ask my Dad

Edit here: The point system does seem valid when there are posters who answer their own questions within four posts e.g. "AR in Trunk"

I would also like to add the "Entrance Exam" For instance

1. Have you ever served? Have you ever been served?
    2. Have you ever taken a Hunter Ed course?
    3. Have you or anyone you know ever 'seeseedoubleyoud'
    4. Is a bullet different from a round?
    5. Should I read the thread "CCW and Tactical Training" or continue as a lemming?
    6. I could make a top 100...

I thought it was a good idea too sixto, but if those with more forum experience than I say it might not be a good idea, then okey-dokey.

And sixto, if you need a hug, you haven't had one until you've had a Cupcake Hug:

(artwork courtesy of my daughter)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    OK, I'm back... the cupcake hug made me feel better.

Please send my regards to your daughter. I think that needs to be your avatar.

I didnt mean it as a ego thing, I just see some bad information passed on as truth as well as a whole bunch of good info too. New members and shooters might not be able to make heads or tails of it all. I saw it as a credibility thing more than anything else. I do see how it would turn into a ego thing though, and like I said before, I just didnt think of that.

So, I dont get any points for this thread, do I?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

So, I dont get any points for this thread, do I?
    You got a Cupcake hug. What more ya want, eh?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    You got a Cupcake hug. What more ya want, eh?
    True. I'll just shut up now and go away again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    But then Limatunes will be the only one with any points.

There are way too many people who abuse this type of thing. Besides I don't find it that hard to skip BS when reading. I've learned fairly quickly who to make sure I read and others if they are in the thread and then there are some... I've never seen this type of rating system work on the web anywhere unless it has to do with financial transactions where there is a vested interested in getting positive feedback. Otherwise its all about ego and there is enough of that around.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links