Member rating suggestion

Member rating suggestion

This is a discussion on Member rating suggestion within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Here is a thought I had to maybe make DC an even better place; why not make a member rating system kind of like eBay ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Administrator

Member rating suggestion

Here is a thought I had to maybe make DC an even better place; why not make a member rating system kind of like eBay has? I think it will weed out some of the garbage posts and help keep threads on topic.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about;

I make a thread asking this; “I’m a new shooter and I want to buy a Glock. I'm confused by all the model numbers and I want a compact 9mm. What models should I be looking at?"

Poster A says, "the 9mm compacts are the 19 (midsize) and the 26 (subcompact). Here is a link to Glock's website for the particulars." www.glock.com.

Poster B says, "An XDc is what you really want. I like mine."

Poster C says, "You really don’t want a 9mm, you need a 10mm at least for self defense."

So, poster A was the only one that made a decent post, and it helped me out. So I click on Poster A and give him a point.
    Posters B and C made worthless posts, so I ignore them, no points.

Now as time goes on, poster A makes more good posts helping members out. B and C continue on with silly posts.

Next question I ask is a more serious one... I see that A has an excellent member rating, so I know that I can trust his/her opinion on the matter, and B and C... maybe it’s not such a good idea.

I dont even know if this is possible, and I know Bumper has a lot on his plate as it is, but hey, it just might work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Yeah, good idea! That would have saved me reading hundreds of posts to figure out that SIXTO has absolutely nothing to add to any thread!

(And if the wink isn't enough - I'm joking!)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Yeah, good idea! That would have saved me reading hundreds of posts to figure out that SIXTO has absolutely nothing to add to any thread!

(And if the wink isn't enough - I'm joking!)
    Jeese, I'm not backing you up anymore in those hot debate threads! So much for the thin blue line, bleeding green and all that stuff.

OFF TOPIC TO THE THREAD - "0" Points For SIXTO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think member ratings was one of the issues that created a great deal of difficulty on the now defunct packing.org site.

In theory, I think it is a good idea. But in practice, it seems that folks get upset when they are not rated highly.

VIP Member
    SIXTO, do you hear that haunting bird call in the distance? It's the wailing cry of the Blue Falcon!!!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Isn't this "rating" scheme the sort of thing that trashed Packing.org? Brownie points became ******* points became a good reason to sidestep the silliness by going elsewhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hopyard is right. That was one of the downfalls to PDO. The rating system became more of a way to punish someone for not agreeing with you, and there were more than a few members that used it that way. PDO's rating system was in a sense a passive form of moderation gone awry.

The lack of the rating system is one of the things that drew me to this site. I would hate to see something like that here for the simple fear that this site would get the reputation that PDO did.

One other thing that is nice about this site is that the Admin is an active member and actually cares about the site as it is, as well as those that have taken on the high paying job as moderators.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Good idea in concept, but ultimately, it will stiffle debate and eventually end up with only a few that will participate (the regulars that think along the same lines of thought). Debate is a good thing...whether we agree or not concerning the subject because we all can learn something, one way or the other.

Rick

Perhaps a strong suggestion to use the "search button" should be implemented. This could be explained through the introduction email before members are granted access to post in the threads and start threads.

Most of those type of posts that were offered by SIXTO can be easily answered by hitting the Google button and doing research on their own. More reading, less posting. If I want to research Springfield XD models, it's just as easy to Google it and do some reading as it is to start another thread, for the hundreth time titled "Help ! Need Advice, Glock or XD?"

For instance, how many threads are available on weapon mounted lights, hand held lights, and lasers ? More than enough for anybody to be given a broad idea of where to look and where to go to find their light.

This of course requires moderators to be a bit vigilant when silly topics come up. Let the members know that it's been flogged to death and that the "search feature" is their friend.

It works at other sights and those that do not adhere are genereally given titles such as "I need a hug" under their screen name.

Just a thought.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Administrator
    Hmm, I wasnt aware that was what killed packing.org. I wonder what we could do differently to make it more viable. I can see it becoming abused or people getting uptight about it.

Can we keep mods from adding to members posts?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    No comment

The principle sounds useful, superficially but I am not at all sure it'd consolidate us, rather I could see it fragmenting things. Just MHO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Oh, I don't know. Having a post futzed with by P95, then fooled with by Tangle, then worked over by Bumper, or even ultimately closed, is almost a rating system of its own, yeah? Leastwise, I felt rated in the few instances that occurred.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have seen this tried several places and it either destroyed the site or ran off most of the good members. I fully agree that some of the posters leave something to be desired - I have had to back track sometimes to see how the thread started.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    No comment

The principle sounds useful, superficially but I am not at all sure it'd consolidate us, rather I could see it fragmenting things. Just MHO.
    I can see that happening too, I never thought of it that way. Maybe if it were kept anonymous that would help? If someone gave me a point, I would know why, but not who and if someone already gave me a point for a post, then I can get no more for that post.

BTW, none of you all are getting any points from me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Man...I'd just get depressed when my "points: went into the negative...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links