Duplicate Accounts

This is a discussion on Duplicate Accounts within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; We are getting an increasing number of duplicate accounts being reported by the script and I am going to be going through them over the ...

Thread: Duplicate Accounts

DC Founder

Exclamation Duplicate Accounts

We are getting an increasing number of duplicate accounts being reported by the script and I am going to be going through them over the next couple of weeks deleting any reported duplicate account that has no post counts associated with it.

After that task is complete I will be merging duplicate accounts that both have posts associated to them. They will be merged to the account that has the greater number of posts or has most recently been used.

If you have what you believe to be a legitimate reason for having more than one account, you need to let me know about it as quickly as possible. The forum rules allow members only one account. You can PM me with requests to have a name change, password reset or other changes you either cannot do yourself or that you need help with. Please don't simply create another account.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

That ought to free up some space on the server.
    BTW---I wouldn't add the post counts of those duplicates found. Matter of fact, I'd subtract them. If it were me, they'd just get deleted for violating the T.O.S.

I can imagine a good function for the <registration> to perform would be a check for dupulicate IP addresses, or whatever the method is for determining there's a duplicate.

But, what is it that allows for more than one account from the same computer for couples (ie, Lima & JD)? How is it distinguished between legitimate and "bad" duplicates?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Funny you should mention that ccw9. There's a whole thread in the back room discussing us and whether or not we are legit.

We do have quite a few husband/wife accounts on here and it really isn't hard to figure out which is which.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    But, what is it that allows for more than one account from the same computer for couples (ie, Lima & JD)? How is it distinguished between legitimate and "bad" duplicates?
    That information is secret and on a need to know basis.

Basically a whole lot of leg work, we can usually tell who's up to no good and who is legit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I can imagine a good function for the <registration> to perform would be a check for dupulicate IP addresses, or whatever the method is for determining there's a duplicate.

Or a couple people who work together using the same computer or the roommates who share a computer, or family members who visit each other etc. There are numerous legitimate reasons the duplicate account detector is triggered.

We usually PM or email to make a determination in these cases. Bumper is likely doing the obvious ones, like Scott1 and Scott2 etc. We have a bunch of those where the person signed up, evidently forgot their login info, so they signed up again with a variation of the same username.

All it takes is an email to the admin account to get your password sent to you. I think there is even an automatic link you can use. Name changes are trickier, but can be done in some cases.

People who have requested account closure and later try to rejoin are removed without warning as a violation of the rules. There are of course many ways to request account closure.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

DC Founder
    Scott hit it on the head. We have some that are obvious (scott1/scott2) which are the ones I am initially going after, but only if they have no posts. After that I will be going through the ones that need further checking. I've also decided to start deleting accounts that signed up a long time ago, have no posts and have not been back to the site. As our number of members go up, I will be taking it down....
    Bumper

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Funny you should mention that ccw9. There's a whole thread in the back room discussing us and whether or not we are legit.

We do have quite a few husband/wife accounts on here and it really isn't hard to figure out which is which.
    I say your not legit... delete.

Really though, other than a shared PC thing, I cant think of any legit reason to have more than one account.
    "Just blame Sixto"

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Really though, other than a shared PC thing, I cant think of any legit reason to have more than one account.
    We have a number of those on the forum, as Scott mentioned, the ones I am going after are the ones that created an account because they couldn't remember a password or decided they didn't like the name they chose, both easy problems to resolve by contacting us. I'm also going through those that have registered but never confirmed their email addresses or came back. I just deleted over 1000 accounts of those that, after 90 days, had not confirmed their emails.

The reason I am doing all this is to reduce the amount of email reminders going out to people, make previously "tied up" member names available to members and to just tidy up a bit. Maintenance and backups will also be a little faster and easier.
    Bumper

Links