Defensive Carry Denial Of Service (DDOS) Attacks

Defensive Carry Denial Of Service (DDOS) Attacks

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Denial Of Service (DDOS) Attacks within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I'm sure Bumper will post here to fill you in better than I can, but DefensiveCarry.com was the target of a full blown "Denial of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Carry Denial Of Service (DDOS) Attacks

VIP Member

Exclamation Defensive Carry Denial Of Service (DDOS) Attacks

I'm sure Bumper will post here to fill you in better than I can, but DefensiveCarry.com was the target of a full blown "Denial of Service" attack last night and this morning. Usually written DOS or DDOS, these are attacks that flood the resources of an individual site or a group of sites and prevent users from accessing them. Bumper has been in contact with our hosting service and will be working with them to determine if this was an attack on us as an individual site or as part of a larger attack.

I was surprised and encouraged to see that as soon as I got on there were people already here. When I got on I was one of 68. Now less than 5 minutes later there are 122. That says something about the quality of the site and about the loyalty of our members. As a Moderator I would like to say, Thank You to all our loyal members who are already beginning to flood back in. Thanks, folks.

That's all I'm going to say except to remind you that Bumper will probably have more info later.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

welcome, glad to be a part of this forum.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    I was wondering what was wrong. DC & Coffee in the mornings for me or my day is not the same.

Keep us posted on the attack!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Ya I kind of noticed that screwed up my whole routine this morning...

I definitely panicked when I couldn't get DC.com up. All sorts of thoughts of terrible things, from the feds shutting it down, to bumper being imprisoned by the atf, or maybe betty just tripped over the power cord and unplugged it??? Probably only those of you that have kids could understand how ones' imagination gets when you don't know nothin:)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I tried until I went to bed last night, and you're back this morning! Yes! If we were attacked, find out who did it. This is the wrong forum to attack.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Ahhhhh

That explains it!

Assistant Administrator
    Had to have been a bad ''saturation'' deal to ruin our server strength too - I guess some hacker with too much time on hand was grinning with pleasure

Thanks too I think to Mark our host - who probably had a very stressful session dealing with it all. I kept trying for a bit last night and then pretty much assumed the worst and retired to bed. Good to see us back on.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I truly missed the site last night. Seems there have been widespread attacks, or outages just recently. There may be a wave of this going on even now as we speak. Several sites are unavailable to me this morning that I've never had any problem with before that are leading me to question my equipment, but everything is up to par.

Senior Moderator
    I actually thought it was my wireless connection last night
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I was wondering what was wrong. DC & Coffee in the mornings for me or my day is not the same.

Keep us posted on the attack!
    My thoughts exactly. I mean, they can't REALLY expect me to work as soon as I get here in the mornings can they??? I knew you guys would get'r fixed for us. Really enjoy this site guys. Thanks!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Glad its back. Thanks to Bumper and staff for everything you do.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

My employer must've been bummed too, since I refuse to work before my morning cup of DC.COM
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I THOUGHT I WAS BANNED! LOL
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

DC Founder
    I don't have alot more information to pass along except that we were overrun by requests last night. The staff notified me (thanks, guys), I notified Mark and he was already responding to an alarm that had been raised on it. He thought it was just another record-breaking night for us until he saw the volume of requests and started blocking IPs. That triggered a full-blown DDOS attack that went on all night.

I'll be getting a list of IPs involved in the attack to see if I can find out anything from them, but expect they have covered their tracks pretty well. We have, in the past, had some threats to the forum from "past members" or it could have been a random act. It's just very hard to tell at this point.

When I worked for the government, our website was targeted because we didn't back a plan to drain Lake Powell and remove the Glen Canyon Dam. We actually did identify the guy. It turned out that it was a German environmental activist that had read the story somewhere on the Internet, so it's not inconceivable that it would be some kind of anti-gun person.

Anyway, we're back for now and still investigating and trying to figure out a way to stop this kind of attack in the future. More later...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links