Group buys

This is a discussion on Group buys within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Like many things, there are numerous ways to run group buys. - It can be run by the Admin folks - don't recommend it, as ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Group buys

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Like many things, there are numerous ways to run group buys.

- It can be run by the Admin folks - don't recommend it, as it is a LOT of work and they have their hands full just managing a busy forum.

- It can be run by ANYONE who is a member of the forum, with approval of Admin. From personal experience, this is what I'd recommend. It is a lot of work for whoever undertakes the task (BTDT but never got the T-shirt), but if different folks run them, the burden is "spread out".

- It can be run by a Dealer affiliated with the forum. Also a good idea.

It's easy to "pick the group buy". You just throw up a "trial balloon" of "who's interested in _______?" and let it run a week or two. If interest is sufficient, then you post a "for real" thread for "I'm in" and details on payment/pickup/delivery.

Some examples:

- I ran a group buy of radar detectors back when I was at DEC (this was mid-1980s). I think that everyone had to pick them up from me at my office IIRC, or I may have shipped 1 or 2 out.

- I ran a group buy for trigger spring gauges ~1 year ago. I delivered most (it was off a regional forum), but trans-shipped some.

Keep in mind that shipping costs have gotten ridiculously expensive, especially with UPS/FedEx. Since we are a "national forum" here (and perhaps beyond, but State Dept. export rules cause problems with non-US shipments), you need to keep that in mind if any trans-shipment is required. Total cost to the participant may not be a bargain after paying that additional shipping expense. E.g. Ammo group buys aren't likely to save money unless all participants are local to each other (IMNSHO).

2. Remove Ads

Think Flashlights........... I'd be in for a good led flashlight. Anyone and everyone can use a flashlight. JMHO
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I've only done one on the snipers hide and it went very well...good deals to be had.

I'm all over a flashlight...One of the members here owns Mallard Spring which sells Fenix. An LD2Q5 would suit me perfect. He already gives an 8% discount to forum members so I kind of feel like he might be up for it. (crosses fingers)
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Thumbs up Here's an idea, I could use a spare set of clips for my C-TAC

Go for it. I'm always up for saving money.

If you got a group buy item wouldn't the logical place to post it be over in the Marketplace-Member Buy, Sell & Trade forum. You might wanna ckeck with management first but, I suggest naming the post something like "Group Buy For (fill-in the blank.)" List the details price, shipping, etc. and pm or email anyone who responds.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

So, how about it Mods? Are unofficial/unsanctioned group buys permissable in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum?

An 'at your own risk' trial period, so to speak?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    So, how about it Mods? Are unofficial/unsanctioned group buys permissable in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum?

An 'at your own risk' trial period, so to speak?
    As long as everyone understands that the forum has no responsibility in the transactions and that it will be the last one if anything "goes wrong" with the deal, I'm okay with it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    With a diverse crowd like here, it's going to be tough to decide on a common item. In the 1911forum, it's easy. Ammo is a great idea, but shipping might be a determining factor. We have group ammo buys on ArizonaShooting.com and get free delivery (pick it up at the gunshow), no sales tax because we bought from out of state, and discount prices.
    I got an idea. How 'bout a Milt Sparks group buy? Or Beltman. Beltman said he would give 20% off on 10 or more belts.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    I got an idea. How 'bout a Milt Sparks group buy? Or Beltman. Beltman said he would give 20% off on 10 or more belts.
    I would be down for a belt
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    Belts are a great idea!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+1 on the belt
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Belts! Belts! We want belts!

Anybody want to try and coordinate this one? I'm getting ready to start a new job, so I'll be tied up for a while.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Beltman FTW. Best group buy idea EvAr!

I'm in for a beltman belt!
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

OMG, I can see this group buy getting insane quick! LOL.

Definitely have to have a well established member to set something like this up. I am all for it though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links