Group buys

Group buys

This is a discussion on Group buys within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Anyone ever heard the term? Several forums I am on do this. It's where someone from the site admin or otherwise, solicits samples, or contacts ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Group buys

Group buys

Anyone ever heard the term? Several forums I am on do this. It's where someone from the site admin or otherwise, solicits samples, or contacts vendors for possible discounts on items related to the general forum's interest in the possibilities of obtaining group discounts on the purchase of said items. This could go for tactical gear, DVD's, parts, holsters, etc........ Most vendors will do this so long as they may set a limit for minimum purchases. Let's say more than 20 people have expressed interest in the Tactical Response Gear DVD 'shooting missology'. A list of those interested would be surveyed in a thread entitled 'possible shooting missology group buy' after the vendor for this video is contacted and asked whether they would be willing to do a group discount. Most vendors know a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. They are likely to be able to give substantial discounts knowing they will sell many at one time. This can be done by coupon codes and such-entered by those members who have expressed interest and willingness to purchase these items, and in the correct thread pertaining to group buys/discounts. I know alot of you all have heard of this. I think it would be good for the forum. Looking forward to 'DC group buys'. Thanks

I've participated in a couple of group buys on XDTalk and I think they are great. Winning deal for everyone. Buyers and sellers.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Sounds like a great idea.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I've seen them on XDTalk, but I don't have much experience over there. They seem to be a great deal, but it seems like it's a lot of work for the Admin. Also, it makes the Mod's take some responsibility for sales by sanctioning them, so might not be the best for this forum...

The groupbuy's was one of the only reasons I joined XDtalk...there have been some really good deals. I just missed the deadline on a trigger job which I really wanted...I guess I'll just pay the full price.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The risk that the admin takes in sactioning sales outweighed by what groupbuys do for the community as a whole. After a group buy "forum morale" if you will, skyrockets, there is like a buzz that everyone catches afterwards and everyone seems to become closer.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Nobody "sanctions" anything. Folks just merely find availabilities for bargains. Anyone could do this stating the fact they are a member of a forum community where several folks have already expressed interest in a certain item or service. even the particular site's name can be withheld if deemed necessary. I don't see any legal ramifications. All that should be taken care of already in the T.O.S. and disclaimers.

I personally think it's a great idea. This forum seems to be a more responsible group of people and I think there would be few, if any, problems. XDTalk does have an advantage in that they have a more common platform, though.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

A very popular one ran a few years ago on the 1911forum when Wesson offered a limited run of Razorback 10mm 1911's at a very generous price. They were specially numbered and became quite a collector's item immediately.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Sounds like a great idea to me
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

BAC
    I just got done with one for AR-15 lowers, and I think it's a great idea. SilenceDoGood makes a great point in that there's usually a buzz following the completion of the buy, and I'm actually surprised to have found no mention of them here.

-B

Very familiar with group buys. Have done quite a few on my cigar forum that I frequent. Last cool one was a group buy for SS SAK (swiss army knife). As stated above, it is a fair amount of work for a person to organize one, esp when you are reaching 50+ orders.

The way that we had payment were either money orders (that way you can have an address w/ payment) or paypal for "wedding gift" (+3% for fees) and a deadline to have payments in or you miss out on the group buy.

On a note...it is just tough finding something that everyone wants, can use and could get enough in bulk to buy to get a decent discount to be worth the group buy hassle for the organizer. There are also "shipping/mailing" issues that may occur and money or items can get lost in the process. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a buzz kill, but these are things that I have seen happen with GB's in the past.

On a positive note, I love group buy's and usually participate in them esp when dealing with knives and various accessories, eventhough I am a "newbie" to this site. Hope this helps...

I too love group buys, i do them all the time on my car forum, and have run several my self. They're hard work but it's worth it if the savings are enough :) Don't know what we'd havea GB on here, but if i see one and i need it i'll be in!

BAC
    Consider the type of group buys that this community would participate in. Ammunition - never a lack of demand for ammunition. Receivers and other common rifle parts - not only high-demand, but a potential gold mine pending the political climate. Specify them a little and see what 1911 owners tend to want most (a popular grip safety or sights or something). You get the idea.

I agree that they are work, but considering I paid half on an AR-15 receiver I would have paid otherwise because of a group buy I'd say they're well worth it.

-B

With a diverse crowd like here, it's going to be tough to decide on a common item. In the 1911forum, it's easy. Ammo is a great idea, but shipping might be a determining factor. We have group ammo buys on ArizonaShooting.com and get free delivery (pick it up at the gunshow), no sales tax because we bought from out of state, and discount prices.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

DC Founder
    We may consider it at some point, but for now, I simply don't have the time available. And, I agree it would be tough to decide on a common item(s)....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links