Chat function?!

Chat function?!

This is a discussion on Chat function?! within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Ok..its 4am and am wide awake; thank you so much Starbucks.. Being all hyped up I would like to suggest a chat function in here, ...

Thread: Chat function?!

Chat function?!

Ok..its 4am and am wide awake; thank you so much Starbucks..
    Being all hyped up I would like to suggest a chat function in here, one of those fancy thing..I search but could not find anything..

Cheers..

I doubt you'll see a chat here anytime soon. I'm not a moderator, but I know they stay busy with just the forums. Add a live chat with the number of members we have here and it would be almost impossible to maintain at the level of Defensive Carry.

Good idea, but not workable with a forum this size.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Lead Moderator
    Moved this thread to Forum feedback. I believe Bumper has already decided we are too big / our purpose is more informational . moderating such a feature would be a nightmare.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

DC Founder
    Someone made the suggestion a year or so ago, but I'm afraid that it would be impossible to manage. The few I have seen seem to have been pretty unruly and an opportunity for the spammers to push their wares, not to mention being a drain on forum bandwidth.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Although I would enjoy a live chat forum, I have to agree with Bumper. In no time at all there would problems with spammers as well as "bots" invading the chatroom. I used to go to the "Gun Cabinet" in yahoo, gave it up because of all the bots and spam. At the very least it would require a moderator in the room 24/7. Just the idea of scheduling moderators to cover is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    not to mention being a drain on forum bandwidth.
    That was my first thought. Your cost would what quadruple over night. No wonder you're red faced just thinking about it.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I agree on the yahoo front, as far as the rooms go. I chat with a few friends sometimes, a conference at most.
    A friend started a room on pal talk, not weapon related, that's a pay site, was fine for a few months, but he tells me it had gotten out of hand, and has given that up. He is on a different server now, he likes it and I think it's free.

I was an admin on a vbulletin-based forum a few years ago. We tried chat a couple of times, but at that time, there were few options, and though I can't recall what we tried, I do recall that:

1) it didn't work very well (as compared to a 'real' chat client)
    2) the novelty wore off quickly, and ultimately, nobody used the dang thing.

-JT

Links