Changes to Member Buy, Sell, Trade Forum

This is a discussion on Changes to Member Buy, Sell, Trade Forum within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; We have had a number of members posting to the Member Buy, Sell, Trade forum that do not participate otherwise in the forum. These threads ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes to Member Buy, Sell, Trade Forum

DC Founder

Changes to Member Buy, Sell, Trade Forum

We have had a number of members posting to the Member Buy, Sell, Trade forum that do not participate otherwise in the forum. These threads are generally not successful because the person has no "history" with the forum. We have also had an increasing number of spam threads posted

To remedy this, we have made a change that requires a member to have made over 25 posts before being allowed to start a thread in the Member Buy, Sell, Trade area.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but believe it is more important that we resolve the problem for our membership, in general.

A copy of this thread has been placed in the Member Buy, Sell, Trade forum.
    Last edited by Bumper; April 22nd, 2008 at 01:30 AM.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

I think that's a good idea personally.

+1...thank you!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I think it's a good idea personally.
    I have mixed feelings...some of the people on this forum I feel like I know fairly well, and some I don't. So I figure I would base it on what I know of the person, and I would probably do a search to find out what they had posted before.

If all they had posted was 25 "Welcomes" in the New Member area, I probably still wouldn't send them my money....Same thing goes for 200 posts.

I also worry about people posting nonsense, just to reach the '25' posts. I guess it will prevent the Spam guys from posting, and I would guess that the membership to this forum is smart enough to discern the difference between an actual member and somebody who is trying to reach the 'pre-requisite' number of posts.

Anyway, to steal a line from Retsup; Stay diligent, stay alert, stay armed...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Glad ya did it, hopefully it will get people more involved!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I think it's a good idea. Most of the newcomers dive in feet first and get addicted (takes one to be able to spot the symptoms....), thereby establishing themselves within the Forum community. I think Kerbouchard's comment about "junk" posts just to reach the 25-post minimum is a valid concern. I guess the way to spot that behavior is for a) a mod to monitor prior posts of someone listing in the MBST Forum for BS, and/or b) other members doing the monitoring. Some may fall through the cracks, but most will get caught. Either way, it's a lot of work for somebody who otherwise probably has a lot of other irons in the fire.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I've noticed a number of ads lately by people with 18-60 posts total. Some of these folks have been registered for a number of years. In these cases, I pass on whatever they are offering, as I consider them an "unknown quantity".

BTW: I am registered on a number of forums where I've only posted from 0 to a handful of times. I would expect others to treat me the same way unless they knew me from some other place.

I think this was a good move!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    As I responded in more detail in the other thread, I think this is a good idea.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...974-post5.html

When I see WTS...with 2 posts...I look no further!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DC Founder
    I understand the concerns about people that might post 25 welcomes and then start listing, but most, it seems, just post their ad and go on their way. If they have to post 25 posts, even welcomes, I doubt that many will go to the effort. It's still a case of buyer beware, but most of the problem seems to people here for one reason. Spammers won't go to the trouble.

Another change made was that threads/posts made in that area do not increment the post counter so if you see someone with exactly 25 posts you may want to be particularly suspicious.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    ... requires a member to have made over 25 posts before being allowed to start a thread in the Member Buy, Sell, Trade area.
    Very good step. That "history" is essential to helping gauge the intent of the parties. Without it, the risk goes up substantially.

Kudos!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Thanks Bumper!Good Job!

Ex Member Array proudmarinesdad's Avatar

Unfair rules

I think your rule of 25 posts before one can offer to sell something is ludicrous! I have posted a for sale item on 04/20/08 without this rule imposed. I went into the forum to repost a WTB item and was confronted with this "NEW" rule. New to me. I have read this forum for some time and have enjoyed the different threads and information. As well I have learned alot from the members posts. This inablilty to now post without having 25 posts to other sites seems unfair; and I am not sure I want to continue if this remains to be your atttitude. I would think you would welcome new members instead of trying to run them away.

Quote Originally Posted by proudmarinesdad View Post
    I would think you would welcome new members instead of trying to run them away.
    View from the peanut gallery, having helped manage other forums previously ...

It's hard to distinguish between spammers/scammers and legitimate folks, without some method. A number of web forums do this, though not all. Everyone benefits in this way, in that having been around awhile gives folks a gauge of your intent and respectability, lacking another reasonable metric. It's no guarantee, but it helps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Great idea. Although the other day a couple posted in different forums than the MBST forum. They got removed rather quickly though. Great job Mods.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links