Site policy question

Site policy question

This is a discussion on Site policy question within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Am I allowed to advertise my firearms training company here or is that a violation of site rules due to the sponsorships? Jim...

Site policy question

Am I allowed to advertise my firearms training company here or is that a violation of site rules due to the sponsorships?

Jim

DC Founder
    I appreciate your asking first before posting. Unfortunately, it would conflict with the recent changes we have implemented so as not to conflict with our paid sponsors. We want to be fair to those that help us pay the bills and keep us afloat....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

ok, I'm a little confused. I see in the training sectrion that many different training courses are mentioned. What's the difference?

Administrator

We have some established members in good standing who do predate the very recent DefensiveCarry policy changes concerning the limitation and curtailing of non-sponsor advertising.

Most have actively participated in the past and have volunteered their time, expertise, and valuable personal opinion by posting self-defense and general training material plus helpful guidelines without having a specific agenda or the sole purpose of joining just to advertise their particular training facility.

They have also participated in other areas of the forum totally unrelated to training or the selling of themselves.

We usually review and discuss their threads on a case by case basis in the Private Staff Area and often make a determination as to if the thread has useful and valuable (stand alone) merit to our member base that goes beyond its inclusive secondary advertising.

Admittedly some of them have crossed over the line - even before we had any set advertising policy instituted and they were admonished and warned VIA Private Mail for doing that.

For now you may provide a link to your web site in your signature line and you may put additional information about your qualifications & what you do and where you are located in your forum personal profile section.

I'm certain that if you review all of the posts in the DC training area you'll likely discover some threads that seem to be more advertising and promoting than anything else.
    The two reasons for that are as follows:

(1) - We can't catch them all right away and if forum members have already replied/responded/participated and the thread then begins to show some worth we may allow it to stay.

(2) We know some of the member/trainers personally or from their past forum participation - or we may have actually trained with them and they may then be granted some minor degree of leeway.
    It depends.
    That does not happen too very often but, it is really no different than allowing your neighbor to walk across your front lawn while total strangers (in general) would be trespassing and prohibited from doing the very same thing.

The bottom line is that for the Now and Present our forum policy has shifted in favor of making certain that our paying forum sponsors are better protected from non-sponsor advertising.

The naked truth is that their dollars are helping the forum to continue to exist.

Before they offered their much appreciated sponsorship Bumper was paying all of the forum expenses out of his own pocket.
    When our member base radically expanded to the point where new and expensive servers were needed...along with superior hosting services and upgrades - Bumper could no longer fork out all of the cash himself.

So...we are only here now Thanks! to our members who are Site Supporters and our paying sponsors.
    We are attempting to make sure they get some benefit for their buck.

I hope that the info I've provided helps to answer your questions. If not then please use the Private Mail feature and PM Bumper or ask Bumper to evaluate and consider you for a sponsorship slot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    ok, I'm a little confused. I see in the training sectrion that many different training courses are mentioned. What's the difference?
    QKShooter pretty much covered your question, but I will say that there is quite a bit of difference between advertising and something simply being mentioned or discussed in a thread.

Allow me to pose a question to you. Do you think it would be right to accept payment from a sponsor and then allow a competitor to advertise his product/service for free?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I understand completely and agree. I was just wondering what the difference was and now I understand. I may look into future sponsorship myself. Thank you!

Jim

Links