Suggestion about the 'New Posts' Feature

This is a discussion on Suggestion about the 'New Posts' Feature within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Is there anyway we can set up an option to block the New Member sub-forum from showing up in the 'New Posts' search? Maybe it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion about the 'New Posts' Feature

Is there anyway we can set up an option to block the New Member sub-forum from showing up in the 'New Posts' search?

Maybe it's just me, but does anybody else find it annoying to see one person with 20 posts in a row because he wanted to go through and 'cut and paste' a cookie cutter welcome to as many people as he could?

Let me grab my flame suit before I hit Submit...

Alright, flame away...
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; May 7th, 2008 at 09:21 AM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Well I am one of those who makes it a point to welcome every new member and it is usually with the same welcome so I guess I will indulge you.

Why the same generic welcome?
    Maybe I am not very creative but I don't know too many ways to say welcome.

Why post to every new member?
    Well here is the way I see it. It wasn't that long ago that I posted as a new member and I suppose I really appreciated that so many people took the time to welcome me aboard. I felt like people here genuinely welcome new members and I immediately felt like my opinion was worth sharing. So the way I see it I am responsible for furthering the welcoming atmosphere the same way people did for me even when I am welcoming members who seem to do nothing but complain about this and complain about that, know what I mean?

I guess I don't know how to respond to your post count comment. I just don't see how having a high post count is really worth anything, unless of course I missed the part about Bumper offering to pay those individuals who have high post counts.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Well I am one of those who makes it a point to welcome every new member and it is usually with the same welcome so I guess I will indulge you.

Well here is the way I see it. It wasn't that long ago that I posted as a new member and I suppose I really appreciated that so many people took the time to welcome me aboard. I felt like people here genuinely welcome new members and I immediately felt like my opinion was worth sharing. So the way I see it I am responsible for furthering the welcoming atmosphere the same way people did for me even when I am welcoming members who seem to do nothing but complain about this and complain about that, know what I mean?

I guess I don't know how to respond to your post count comment. I just don't see how having a high post count is really worth anything, unless of course I missed the part about Bumper offering to pay those individuals who have high post counts.

Pretty much what I was thinking.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I tend to agree with BigEFan, I don't see the problem. I don't post alot, tend to read more and am not at all concerned about my post count. If I'm scanning the forum when someone registers I will probably post a welcome, if they have several welcomes then I'll just read their intro and go on.
    There are only so many ways to say welcome, so if this is a problem don't read the posts.
    If I don't want to read a post I don't, it's that simple. It's the same with a thread. We can rule ourselves to death.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Is there anyway we can set up an option to block the New Member sub-forum from showing up in the 'New Posts' search?

Maybe it's just me, but does anybody else find it annoying to see one person with 20 posts in a row because he wanted to go through and 'cut and paste' a cookie cutter welcome to as many people as he could?
    I'll give you my support on this, I use the "New Posts" search also.

DC Founder
    While we discourage people from "padding" post counts, I think it's important that new members are welcomed. It's easy to say "welcome to the forum" in a PM to each new member, but when someone opens a thread and the membership welcomes them in a big way, it does a several things. It makes them feel genuinely welcome, it lets everyone learn just a little about the new person so they can become "one of us" quickly, it encourages them to continue to post, adding their own experiences and opinions. Whether individuals appreciate it or not, I think this is part of what makes us different.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    While we discourage people from "padding" post counts, I think it's important that new members are welcomed. It's easy to say "welcome to the forum" in a PM to each new member, but when someone opens a thread and the membership welcomes them in a big way, it does a several things. It makes them feel genuinely welcome, it lets everyone learn just a little about the new person so they can become "one of us" quickly, it encourages them to continue to post, adding their own experiences and opinions. Whether individuals appreciate it or not, I think this is part of what makes us different.

I wholeheartedly agree and hope that as the forum grows larger it continues to be different.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post

Bravo BigE....well said!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I second Kerbouchard's suggestion.

Welcoming folks to the board is great, but I much prefer to read about the other topics and some days it seems like "Hi I'm a New Guy from East Bejesus" takes up the entire front page of New Posts. I'm not knocking new members (since I've been here less than 6 months myself), I'm just more interested in getting to the issues more quickly.

I wholeheartedly agree with welcoming new members, and I normally do. But when you go to the new member welcome area, and respond to every single post, it makes the 'new post' feature just about useless...annoying at best.

This has been bothering me for a few weeks, and every time I see somebody doing it, I'll click on their name and click on the 'find other posts from this member'...2 weeks later, or 3 months later, I might find a post where they have contributed to the forum(depending on the member).

Some of these members aren't the people who see a new member join and think, "Hey, great, we have a new member...I wonder what they have to say and what I will be able to learn from them." These are the people who specifically go to the new member welcome area, and then hit "ctrl v" for every single person's post. Half the time they don't even read the post in the first place, or it doesn't seem like it.

Anyway, you can call it welcoming and being friendly(which is great, and by the way, I appreciate the welcome I got in Dec), I still call it spam. If I offended anybody by this or my previous post, well, I'm sorry.

All I would like to know is if there is anyway to get "New Posts" without having to wade through all of the repetitive welcomes?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    and by the way, I appreciate the welcome I got in Dec
    Welcome from Tucson, Arizona!

Why would someone want to increase their post count? Is there some value to a high post count?
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Why would someone want to increase their post count? Is there some value to a high post count?
    You get a gold star by your name.

Wait. They're red.

Well I enjoy the...

Welcome...
    from Central Florida!

ret

to each new poster...

I read each and every post from each new member...sometimes I add a note to new members who appear to share a similar view, mototcycle, Alaska living, or some other quirk!

I remember when I first started, I appreciated looking at where EACH welcome came from...

As to post counts? Well, after you get over 8K, Bumper kicks in half of your newest car payment...seems worth it to me...

I have tons of posts...I'm on this forum morning and night...and I sometimes even sneak on at lunch in school (the kids know how to beat the filter...).

I have met a number of the members here...hope to meet many more.
    I laugh out loud a lot here at night...hope I help others to laugh a little, too!

Well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't worry about it...We love you Retsupt99.

Keep on keepin' on.

Be careful out there!

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links