Ban the thread title "What would you do?"

This is a discussion on Ban the thread title "What would you do?" within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I think what Ron was trying to say, is that even though police or military have been trained to respond to certain events. Their training ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ban the thread title "What would you do?"

I think what Ron was trying to say, is that even though police or military have been trained to respond to certain events. Their training does not always ensure that their actions will result in the outcome intended. IE, Leo's being killed with their own guns, or them being shot because they failed to see something that was developing or whatever. You can never be totally prepared for what is happening all the time. So the what would you do scenario isn't really all that great, because even though you train for something or go over it in your head, the actual event may not be what you trained for.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I think what Ron was trying to say, is that even though police or military have been trained to respond to certain events. Their training does not always ensure that their actions will result in the outcome intended. IE, Leo's being killed with their own guns, or them being shot because they failed to see something that was developing or whatever. You can never be totally prepared for what is happening all the time. So the what would you do scenario isn't really all that great, because even though you train for something or go over it in your head, the actual event may not be what you trained for.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    I agree with your assessment, it just doesn't fit with the thread. I think that's where the confusion is coming from.

This is a thread discussing the use of the phrase, "What would you do?" as a sole thread title and the post seems a little lost in all the gibberish.

Sorry, I guess I should have began with "I agree the term should be used a little less because....". My apologies for any misunderstanding.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Well I was one of 'those people' who started a thread with "what would you do"..... Sorry about that. If the mods want to edit the title by all means go ahead
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    ....Put a descriptive title in that helps the readers know what it is about before they click. ....
    Need help
    Comments
    Advice please
    I don't know about a "ban", but I agree that it would be common courtesy to use a title that "helps the readers know what it is about."

I'm getting to where I just skip those post when the site is running slow.

Speaking of running slow, having better titles might help the site speed when the number of folk logged in is high. Every time we click on a vague title it has to tie up some resources. If everyone is clicking on a number of non-descriptive title and then hitting the return button it would likely contribute to the slow down getting to something we are actually interested in.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    WELCOME TO GRAMMAR MADE EASY............!!!! We'll teach 'ya English and how to, uh, speak like, um a native.......puh-lease....
    I'm very happy with the education I've received and am not going to throw any stones. Some people, myself included, prefer to write the way they talk.......hunker down and sit a spell.........
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

We can Spam it up a bit too.
    Wha t Wood U Do?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

So... the purpose of this thread is to increase post count?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLoad View Post
    So... the purpose of this thread is to increase post count?

Finding yourself in a similar situation, please describe your potential reaction...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I think we ought to ban the word " Ban".

I hate that word. Dont like something? BAN it.Dont like this? BAN it. Dont like that" BAN it. A little BAN here and a little BAN there, not so much that you notice, and then one day you wake up and its all been BANNED.

Eventually, there wont be anything left to BAN.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think we ought to ban the word " Ban".

I hate that word. Dont like something? BAN it.Dont like this? BAN it. Dont like that" BAN it. A little BAN here and a little BAN there, not so much that you notice, and then one day you wake up and its all been BANNED.

Eventually, there wont be anything left to BAN.
    I agree
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member

More Descriptive Titles

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    I agree
    +1 more on "Ban"

However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to see more descriptive titles to help the readers know what it is about before they click.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I agree with the OP and the reasoning. Being on as many forums as I am--I no longer worry about spelling and grammar. Personally, I do the best I can. Spell-checker helps out once in a while. But yes, a subject or scenario would help immensely to discern one thread from any other that states: what would you do, need help, "question(s)", and the list goes on. Actually it's everyone's personal responsibility to be more descriptive and particular about the subject matter here-and elsewhere. Peer pressure only goes so far.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    I agree
    I switched from Ban to Mitchum..........
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    No no no no! You guys are trying to stop a problem that can only be solved by creating a new forum section called "What would you do?"

Then, we need one titled "Need Help" . . . .

oh, and one called "Which Ammo is Best for my . . . ."
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links