Problems with Search?

This is a discussion on Problems with Search? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi Bumper- I wonder if there is a problem with the search feature. I was trying to find a recent post of mine with the ...

Thread: Problems with Search?

Problems with Search?

Hi Bumper-

I wonder if there is a problem with the search feature. I was trying to find a recent post of mine with the title: "Shooting a Deer After a Road Accident?"

No matter what keywords I typed in, I could not come up with that post. I finally did find it by searching on my name (it's post #49183), but shouldn't it come up in a regular search?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

You can type in the exact title, but the search function chooses certain key words to search by. I have had that problem before.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I've had the same problem...sometimes you just have to keep trying different words or types of searching. Often, it's easiest to just search for your own posts just like you did.

I think Bumper said something about the next upgrade having some changes to some of the title features, maybe the searches will be upgraded, too?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am not one to complain, unless of course everyone else is complaining and then my herd mentality takes over.

I love this site, but I am less than pleased with the search function. I know Bumper has no control over it as he rents/purchases this forum and is at the mercy of the developers.

However, the search feature seems to be lacking as it does an OR search vs. an AND search. That is if I type in Glock 19 9mm, it will find every thread with EITHER the word Glock OR 19 OR 9mm. What we really want is an AND search where it only finds threads with the words Glock AND 19 AND 9mm.

As a software developer myself, I would make that the next feature I put in. Actually, it really isn't that hard to program, but I know not how this site is architected so I will just shut up.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

DC Founder
    I'm not sure whether the search was upgraded in the new version, but they certainly should turn their attention in that direction. I have very little control over the search feature and absolutely none on how it searches with and/or operators. Sorry guys, but vBulletin searches just are what they are....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Try searching Google for your post, like this:

(keywords) site:defensivecarry.com

Such as:

Shooting a Deer After a Road Accident site:defensivecarry.com

I frequently get better results this way. Also, subscribe to threads you'll want to view again, to make getting back to them easier.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Thanks for the replies. I have found the shortcuts, and they do work. It's just strange that if I choose the only two major keywords in my post it doesn't work.

PS: Not "blaming" you, Bumper. The site is really fantasic, and I think you're doing a great job. Hopefully the next upgrade will address the issue.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the advice Pete...I'll try that. Learn something new everyday.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    PS: Not "blaming" you, Bumper. The site is really fantasic, and I think you're doing a great job. Hopefully the next upgrade will address the issue.
    No problem, I understand completely. I run into problems with the search feature myself sometimes....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Links