Why is a forum of adults....? - Page 2

Why is a forum of adults....?

This is a discussion on Why is a forum of adults....? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; There is an appropriate use for profanity. This forum is not one of them. I have read opinions on other sites where profanity and all ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why is a forum of adults....?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    There is an appropriate use for profanity. This forum is not one of them.

I have read opinions on other sites where profanity and all sorts of other epitaphs are allowed and it quickly degrades into a name calling contests. This is a great forum for exchange of information and I appreciate the efforts of the mods who keep it that way.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    One of the main reason I like this forum is that I don't have to wade through gutters to get usfull info.
    +1

With the hours that I work it's nice to hop on at 2-4AM after a shift to find useful information. Thumbs up all around!
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    One of the main reason I like this forum is that I don't have to wade through gutters to get usfull info.
    +! Exactly!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    Ditto what others have already said above.
    It is also good "life practice" since you WILL always be judged by what exits your mouth and how.
    You may find yourself in court some day having to testify - or speaking to the district attorney - or your lawyer - or swearing out a statement.

You will be video taped and recorded during questioning.
    You may have to proclaim your innocence or explain your actions and justifications.

You had best make absolutely certain that you can express yourself and convey and relate events & your thoughts and emotions to others without constantly swearing.

If you are not able to express yourself without sticking the "F" word into every other sentence, then the actual hidden consequences will be much greater than a "two point language infraction" on DefensiveCarry.

As much as you may think (or want to believe) that it's "just not fair" for people to judge you by your particular choice of words and your use of language...guess what?
    THEY WILL prejudge you for using foul language and they will do that no matter if you think it's "fair" or not.
    That's the reality in black and white.
    Your very "future" may depend on how you come across to others and your ability to properly express yourself.

So just consider the language restrictions here as being an integral part of your overall self-defensive training.

That would be the part of your training that STARTS immediately after the shooting stops.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbat420 View Post
    I never expected to receive a violation for funny use of the almighty "F" word.
    This is a mixed forum. It's unknown how many people of what cultures are here. At minimum, it's a courtesy to not be foul-mouthed to folks you don't know. At worst, it sets a tone for profanity and ugliness that, well, too often is the standard of other places. It's not about "censorship." It's about courtesy and maturity in a mixed, public environment.

I try to ask myself one thing, before posting: would the language offend family, neighbors and a pastor or two, over for Sunday BBQ, or in someone else's home. If so, then it's fair to say that it's not appropriate.

There are all sorts of ways to communicate. It doesn't have to be foul.

this is a moderated, private forum
    In a nutshell, that's it. This IS most definitely someone else's "home." Not mine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Question Do you eat with that?

....That potty mouth !
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Having to use "the F word" to be funny shows a bit of ones IQ.

If this is a big enough issue for you to start a thread complaining about using it, it may be time to grow up or leave.
    YMMV
    I believe that the actual I.Q. (number) can be determined by the finger symbol for that expression...???????
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with what most have said. Yes, there is free speech but with that (just as with every right) comes the responsibility to use it properly. When you don't know those you are speaking to, etiquette comes into play.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I like it here. I find profanity offensive and distastefully. I don't allow it in my Tactical classes or on my gun range. Thanks DC for keeping it clean.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by brianbat420 View Post
    I am sorry but where does anyone draw the line? Are you alowed to say dam, some people are offended by that? Etc.....................................
    I am pretty sure "dam" would be acceptable....i.e., "That beaver built an incredible dam!". I'm not sure about "damn", though, if that's what you were referring to.

As an FYI, insulting moderators and forum members may not be the best way to make a good first impression.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

There is nothing FREE about speech here, it costs money to post, download, maintain the server etc. If you don't like the rules then hit the road and start your own forum.

Ron
    When you are in my house as an invited guest, then I have the absolute right to establish the acceptable rules of conduct, "arbitrary" as you may feel them to be. If, for any reason, you are unable or unwilling to abide by those rules, then I also have the absolute right to ask you to leave my house. This Forum is the equivalent of Bumper's house. In my view, it is as simple as that.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member

Thumbs down An extension to the use of some words.

In my experience, acronyms based on various word can also present a problem and have an unintended side-effect.

I know a dear old lady (on another unrelated forum) who would have never knowingly used certain words, but who posted some acronyms which were based on those words.

Later someone objected the the use of the acronyms, on that family forum.

She was mortified to learn that in their original forms (and as read by many current readers) these acronyms were not simply "Situation Normal All Fouled-Up", "Fouled-Up Beyond All Recognition" or "Put Out" or etc.

I'm sure that she heard someone that she trusted use them, asked what they meant, was given a "sanitized" version (rather than an apology) and she fell into an unintended trap.

I suggest we need to avoid laying that trap for others in any form of polite society.

As a Marine, as an employee representing my employer, as a Church member etc, I have very different speech patterns. It is not all that difficult to master, with a modicum of intelligence and respect for others.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    It is not all that difficult to master, with a modicum of intelligence and respect for others.
    That's about all it takes. It's also a measure of self respect, that respect for others.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    As an FYI, insulting moderators and forum members may not be the best way to make a good first impression.
    +1
    Also, ad homonym attacks are always inappropriate. I wish this thread especially was free of them.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links