Why is a forum of adults....?

This is a discussion on Why is a forum of adults....? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I curse a lot (Italian childhood) and really don't see anything wrong with it, but others do and we have to respect other people. That's ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why is a forum of adults....?

B52
    I curse a lot (Italian childhood) and really don't see anything wrong with it, but others do and we have to respect other people. That's the problem with society today, most only care about themselves. We curse a lot in the military, but when I am on the radio or talking to superiors no curse words come out of my mouth. I joined this forum, read the rules and try my best to abide by them. DC is a great place to go with a wealth of information...keep up the good work guys and good riddens to 420!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    BrianBat420, be thankful for a moderated forum; I came from one a while back that was moderated by the community at large, and that once-great forum no longer exists. It systematically degenerated into continuous flame wars and profanity.

The sites name? PACKING.ORG

Ditto.

Thanks for the info Aaron; I am now no longer blissfully ignorant.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Thanks for the info Aaron; I am now no longer blissfully ignorant.....
    Wow......the things that I never knew!

You know a good solution may be to purchase a dictionary and expand you're vocabulary. The Oxford English Dictionary has 60,000 words. Surely you could express yourself effectively without profanity.

This topic is now 5 (Now 6) pages deep. The guy was banned (revoked) on page two. Give it a rest already, all you're doing now is preaching to the choir. DAM!
    Last edited by d.40v; May 13th, 2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: this post makes it 6 pages deep.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Wow......the things that I never knew!
    Lest anyone think bad of me, I do not, nor have I ever done drugs. I have however worked around a lot of construction workers

d.40v Do we hafta even if we don't wanna?
    Give it a rest already, all you're doing now is preaching to the choir. DAM!

Administrator

You should all know that if you "slip up" on a language violation that does not mean that you will instantly and automatically get booted off the forum and into Ex-Member status.

You will get your post edited and you will get some language infraction points and often a PM from a Moderator telling you why you were edited and what is/was not acceptable for DefensiveCarry.

You may also get sent back through the Forum Rules Page to reread and agree to the DC rules again.

Just accept it and move on.

Usually it is what happens AFTER a member gets edited that gets the member banned.

That happens because members get verbally abusive, ignorant, and all bent out of shape.

Argumentative, nasty, baiting replies to a moderator and defiantly cussing out a moderator in Private Mail plus yelling about your Free Speech Rights will get you a quick one way ticket off the forum.

You ARE permitted to respectfully disagree with a moderator decision and then the moderator will have your reply reviewed in the Private Staff area.

Also:
    Please count to 10 and Think before you state that you don't want to be a member here anymore because that wish is always instantly granted and you will not even be able to get back on to read threads and posts. If you don't want to be here then we don't want you here.

Banning is permanent.

If something or some topic or some other member gets you really ticked off here and really "pushes your buttons" then just stay away for a few days and cool down and then come back.

Simply go visit another forum for a while.
    One that has no enforced rules of conduct.
    Have your posts and opinions demeaned and belittled.
    Let everybody tell you that you don't know what the heck you're talking about.
    Get mad and upset then swear back at them all in retaliation.
    Be personally attacked & then attack them all back and when you finally do get "fed up" with all of the blatent ignorance - come back here...you'll appreciate us more & you'll appreciate the polite respect that you get here.

Don't try to do a show-stopping dramatic grand exit by making the mistake of thinking that we actually care if you go or not.
    We will just be amazingly unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    I am pretty sure "dam" would be acceptable....i.e., "That beaver built an incredible dam!". I'm not sure about "damn", though, if that's what you were referring to.
    +1
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by d.40v View Post
    This topic is now 5 (Now 6) pages deep. The guy was banned (revoked) on page two. Give it a rest already, all you're doing now is preaching to the choir. DAM!
    Actually, people continuing to post to this thread serves to inform others that cannot control profanity that the rule is supported (or at least adhered to) by the vast majority of our membership. I can also tell you that it is supported to the point that when someone does use profanity, it is usually reported immediately by several people that like to see the standards kept up.

But, you're right, the OP has had his membership revoked, banned, booted, or kicked which was his choice.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    I just realized exactly what the misconception was that the OP was under. He was under the misconception that using so-called "adult language" makes you an adult. But like many of our English words the meaning in this case is just the opposite. There are times when "bad" means good and when "yeah, right!" means wrong. There are times when "cool" means hot and when "hot" means cool. In the case of the phrase "adult language" the word "adult" means juvenile.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I agree wholeheartedly. While I cuss IRL, I keep it to a minimum. When I'm in someone else's house I follow their rules. I like coming here. Having meaninful, respectful discussions with other members is what I prefer.

What some people need to understand is that, while most of us live in America, this forum is not run by the government, so you DO NOT have the right to free speech. And if you look around, a lot of forums have the same no swearing rules. At least most of the ones I belong to do.

Now, how can I tell if I have any infraction points?
    Last edited by morintp; May 13th, 2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: one handed typing

VIP Member
    I founded and moderate another forum which deals with medical issues of a rather private nature in the, "plumbing department." Now and again we get a poster who insists on using graphically descriptive language. Since our audience includes men, women, people from all walks of life, and children--- teens of both genders, sometimes as young as about 14, we do our very best to boot the inappropriate posters.

Now and again, we hear the same stuff about "free speech." Wrong. It is a private forum that requires registration of participants, and the mods make the rules. Same here. GOOD!!!!

Three cheers for our dedicated mods.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbat420 View Post
    As for the private forum part you are absolutely correct and that is why I am going to stop using DC. The owner of this site has every right to run it how he see's fit. I am just disappointed that in the firearm crowd, one that prides itself on freedoms, you cant say what you are going to be if a mountain lion see's you but you don't see it.

Later.
    I just don't see how anyone could be disappointed in this, especially when you comment on how the firearm crowd prides itself on freedoms, well that also includes the freedom of an owner/creator to set "boundaries" for his "creation/venture/etc."

Personal freedoms are always going to rub up against each other, just a fact of life. When that happens I choose to pick my battles carefully, ones that truly matter. I guess some may view this as something that matters on principle, I just think there are way more important things to worry about.

***Edit**** I think about 3 pages were added since I started the reply, missed that it had already been dealt with, oh well. Will still leave my 2 cents and support visible.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links