Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why is a forum of adults....?

6K views 83 replies 53 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
I just received and infraction for inappropriate use of a word. :nono: I would have never thought that a forum of adults would be restricted from free speech.

I never expected to receive a violation for funny use of the almighty "F" word. I understand habitual use, or inappropriate attacks but dam (Oops is that word allowed? :rolleyes: ) I feel like I am on a liberal forum!

I am probably going to be banned for this so I guess I have to find a true ADULT forum that doesn't act like an elementary school teacher.

#35 ·
BRIANBAT420,I think the name sums it up as the 420 is a reference to marijuana,I don't think he is probably the type of individual that feels like he needs to follow any rules or laws that impede "his" freedom to do whatever he wants,and definitely shows his immaturity,I hope he never finds out if he is a CHL holder what happens when police officers find drugs on you when you have a gun,the penaltys are eye opening and life changing

#36 ·
I think most of us see ourselves to be gentlemen/ladies, and as such hold ourselves to higher standards, than to write using vulgarity.

That being said, sometimes it’s hard to express our feeling without it sometime, but that’s one of the things, that separates and holds this board to higher standards than others.

:urla9ub::urla9ub:

#37 ·
I got "slapped" a little while ago for being stupid. I got over it. I forgot to wipe my feet real good before I walked in here and paid the price. If it bothers you that much about getting a message from the Mods, then don't let the keyboard hit ya on the way out. Great site here.

#38 ·
About a year ago I reduce all our rules here to one sentence. I think it still holds true.

For DefensiveCarry the one rule to remember is:
Do it right,
Or do it elsewhere!

#39 ·
BRIANBAT420,I think the name sums it up as the 420 is a reference to marijuana
I never heard of that 420 deal. Learn something new everyday I guess.

#42 · (Edited)
I have always been taught that foul language is not for general public usage. I find that their are enough adjectives available to adequately describe emotions, without needing to use graphic language.

The rules of the forum (like or dislike), have been setup for everyone, and all should abide. That said, there are ways to get your point across, which, I believe would be acceptable to all, such as "SHTF". Everyone knows what your're talking about, and usually will not be offended by such usage.

Anyway, that's my two cent's worth. Damn, my phone's ringing... gotta go! LOL!

#43 ·
BrianBat420, be thankful for a moderated forum; I came from one a while back that was moderated by the community at large, and that once-great forum no longer exists. It systematically degenerated into continuous flame wars and profanity.

The site's name? PACKING.ORG

#44 ·
P.S. - Can someone tell me about the 420 connection and Marijuana?

Just curious.....

#46 ·
I curse a lot (Italian childhood) and really don't see anything wrong with it, but others do and we have to respect other people. That's the problem with society today, most only care about themselves. We curse a lot in the military, but when I am on the radio or talking to superiors no curse words come out of my mouth. I joined this forum, read the rules and try my best to abide by them. DC is a great place to go with a wealth of information...keep up the good work guys and good riddens to 420!

#48 ·
Thanks for the info Aaron; I am now no longer blissfully ignorant.....

#49 ·
Wow......the things that I never knew! :blink:

#50 ·
You know a good solution may be to purchase a dictionary and expand you're vocabulary. The Oxford English Dictionary has 60,000 words. Surely you could express yourself effectively without profanity.

#56 ·
Actually, people continuing to post to this thread serves to inform others that cannot control profanity that the rule is supported (or at least adhered to) by the vast majority of our membership. I can also tell you that it is supported to the point that when someone does use profanity, it is usually reported immediately by several people that like to see the standards kept up.

But, you're right, the OP has had his membership revoked, banned, booted, or kicked which was his choice..... :wink:

#53 ·

d.40v Do we hafta even if we don't wanna?
Give it a rest already, all you're doing now is preaching to the choir. DAM!

#54 ·
You should all know that if you "slip up" on a language violation that does not mean that you will instantly and automatically get booted off the forum and into Ex-Member status.

You will get your post edited and you will get some language infraction points and often a PM from a Moderator telling you why you were edited and what is/was not acceptable for DefensiveCarry.

You may also get sent back through the Forum Rules Page to reread and agree to the DC rules again.

Just accept it and move on.

Usually it is what happens AFTER a member gets edited that gets the member banned.

That happens because members get verbally abusive, ignorant, and all bent out of shape.

Argumentative, nasty, baiting replies to a moderator and defiantly cussing out a moderator in Private Mail plus yelling about your Free Speech Rights will get you a quick one way ticket off the forum.

You ARE permitted to respectfully disagree with a moderator decision and then the moderator will have your reply reviewed in the Private Staff area.

Also:
Please count to 10 and Think before you state that you don't want to be a member here anymore because that wish is always instantly granted and you will not even be able to get back on to read threads and posts. If you don't want to be here then we don't want you here.

Banning is permanent.

If something or some topic or some other member gets you really ticked off here and really "pushes your buttons" then just stay away for a few days and cool down and then come back.

Simply go visit another forum for a while.
One that has no enforced rules of conduct.
Have your posts and opinions demeaned and belittled.
Let everybody tell you that you don't know what the heck you're talking about.
Get mad and upset then swear back at them all in retaliation.
Be personally attacked & then attack them all back and when you finally do get "fed up" with all of the blatent ignorance - come back here...you'll appreciate us more & you'll appreciate the polite respect that you get here.
:yup:

Don't try to do a show-stopping dramatic grand exit by making the mistake of thinking that we actually care if you go or not.
We will just be amazingly unimpressed.

#57 ·
I just realized exactly what the misconception was that the OP was under. He was under the misconception that using so-called "adult language" makes you an adult. But like many of our English words the meaning in this case is just the opposite. There are times when "bad" means good and when "yeah, right!" means wrong. There are times when "cool" means hot and when "hot" means cool. In the case of the phrase "adult language" the word "adult" means juvenile. :rolleyes:

#58 · (Edited)
I agree wholeheartedly. While I cuss IRL, I keep it to a minimum. When I'm in someone else's house I follow their rules. I like coming here. Having meaninful, respectful discussions with other members is what I prefer.

What some people need to understand is that, while most of us live in America, this forum is not run by the government, so you DO NOT have the right to free speech. And if you look around, a lot of forums have the same no swearing rules. At least most of the ones I belong to do.

Now, how can I tell if I have any infraction points?

#61 ·
Now, how can I tell if I have any infraction points?
You don't have any, but if you did, it would show you when you view your profile. You would automatically receive a PM, as well. And, for the record, other members cannot see that you have received an infraction so there is no stigma attached top them. They are simply a tool that allows us to attempt to correct the problem and keep a record so we can tell if the problem is repeated later. Warning are just that, a warning with no infraction points. Most, but not all, infractions expire after an amount of time and are really not anything to be concerned about....

#59 ·
I founded and moderate another forum which deals with medical issues of a rather private nature in the, "plumbing department." Now and again we get a poster who insists on using graphically descriptive language. Since our audience includes men, women, people from all walks of life, and children--- teens of both genders, sometimes as young as about 14, we do our very best to boot the inappropriate posters.

Now and again, we hear the same stuff about "free speech." Wrong. It is a private forum that requires registration of participants, and the mods make the rules. Same here. GOOD!!!!

Three cheers for our dedicated mods.

#71 ·
They do for all the rest of us who have been nice.... :rolleyes:

So, if yours don't go away...wow! You must've been
REALLY, REALLY bad. :gah:

#63 ·
Gotta weed out the Bozos:hand5:
Some people just feel the need to poke a sleeping dog, Brainbat420 got bit!
I keep comin' around here because it's a good place to be, with some pretty intelligent people with good insight on things I normally don't think of (law stuff), plus some really good advise.
Keep up the good work Bumper and staff!!

#64 ·
Gotta weed out the Bozos:hand5:
Some people just feel the need to poke a sleeping dog, Brainbat420 got bit!
I keep comin' around here because it's a good place to be, with some pretty intelligent people with good insight on things I normally don't think of (law stuff), plus some really good advise.
Keep up the good work Bumper and staff!!
:rofl: +1 Great job!

#65 ·
gotta be a line somwhere. some are on one side of too much, and others on the side of too little. if you didnt put enough into the work of an organization, you dont get to draw all the lines.

its fair here. you'll adapt. and some language is, after all, called offensive for a reason.

#68 ·
The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing, a vice heretofore little known in the American Army, is growing into fashion. He hopes that Officers will, by example as well as influence, endeavor to check it, and that both they and the men will reflect that we can have little hope of the blessings of heaven on our arms if we insult it by our impiety and folly. Added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense and character detests and despises it.
-George Washington

#69 ·
All I can add is thank you to our administrators, y'all do a great job. If not I wouldn't be here, nor would a lot of others folks. Freedom of speech doesn't give one the liberty to be disgusting and pathetic in front of others who may be nearby and care nothing about hearing or reading the trash that comes from someones mouth. "What's in the well, comes up in the bucket".

#78 ·
I am counting down until May 28 at 5:34 am. When I got it, I was shock, appalled, devastated, emotional distraught and outraged. I was never gonna come back. Then I got over it in 2 seconds and was back on. Just a bit more careful.

Gosh. Everyone has their rules. If you don't want to play by them, go somewhere else. No doubt he is a liberal who thinks that if he protests loud enough, he will get his way. :twak: I never understood their attitude. But give them a taste of their own medicine and they go bizerk.

(Edited in my head as I was writing this in respect for the rules.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.