Why is a forum of adults....?

This is a discussion on Why is a forum of adults....? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I just received and infraction for inappropriate use of a word. I would have never thought that a forum of adults would be restricted from ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is a forum of adults....?

Why is a forum of adults....?

I just received and infraction for inappropriate use of a word. I would have never thought that a forum of adults would be restricted from free speech.

I never expected to receive a violation for funny use of the almighty "F" word. I understand habitual use, or inappropriate attacks but dam (Oops is that word allowed? ) I feel like I am on a liberal forum!

I am probably going to be banned for this so I guess I have to find a true ADULT forum that doesn't act like an elementary school teacher.

2. Remove Ads

Just because it's an adult forum doesn't mean random use of profanity is acceptable,when you agreed to abide by the rules of the forum the do's and dont's are posted, and there may be younger children also viewing posts.I have been called on using letters with hyphens etc. instead of using the entire word.If It bothers you that much I guess you can try another forum that allows profanity
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Forum rule #4
    As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.
    Just to keep the atmosphere around here polite and family friendly. When I'm with my fellow Marines, I talk like you would expect, but around here I just have to watch myself.

You really think adults can't express themselves without using curse words?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I am sorry but where does anyone draw the line? Are you alowed to say dam, some people are offended by that? Etc.....................................

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    When it comes down to it, this is a moderated, private forum. More private than most forums in that you can't even read it without being a registered member. Their rules go, and they choose to make it family friendly.

I use profanity WAY more than I should, but around my mom, church, and on the internet, I don't have any problems saying what I need to say without it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Having to use "the F word" to be funny shows a bit of ones IQ.

If this is a big enough issue for you to start a thread complaining about using it, it may be time to grow up or leave.
    YMMV
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

VIP Member
    Call me “old school” if you wish but many years ago I was taught there are certain words you only use when in certain company and they are not to be used in general. As this is a public forum we should maintain a civil and respective discourse. I applaud the moderators in enforcing the rules and maintaining civility.

With respect to the three posters. I asked "Where do you draw the line?" What about saying Dam? people find that offensive right so is that off limits? What about Jackass? Only in reference to an animal?

As for the private forum part you are absolutely correct and that is why I am going to stop using DC. The owner of this site has every right to run it how he see's fit. I am just disappointed that in the firearm crowd, one that prides itself on freedoms, you cant say what you are going to be if a mountain lion see's you but you don't see it.

Later.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Call me “old school” if you wish but many years ago I was taught there are certain words you only use when in certain company and they are not to be used in general. As this is a public forum we should maintain a civil and respective discourse. I applaud the moderators in enforcing the rules and maintaining civility.
    +1. I'm not sorry that coarse language isn't tolerated on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbat420 View Post

...Later.
    Sorry you feel that way.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Sometimes I think we all need a lesson to help us remember that we don't need to swear to get the point across
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've done my fair share of swearing, but I do find it refreshing to not see it every other word as in some forums.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    We have been through this many times before and all I can say is, for those that believe they must use profanity to make a point, they will have to make that point somewhere else. We have family men, and women, that view these forums with their kids in their laps. We have religious members, ministers, wives/mothers and just everyday people that simply do not appreciate rough language. We want to be a resource for everyone that has a question, or experiences, regarding concealed carry rather than driving an entire segment of the population away. We are rather strict, I admit, but we are not unique. Lots of other forums do not allow profanity.

And, since you have indicated that our rules are not acceptable, your membership will be, as is customary, revoked. There are other forums available where you are free to do as you wish. I wish you luck...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

One of the main reason I like this forum is that I don't have to wade through gutters to get usfull info.

And yet another reason this is pretty much the only forum I use, the amazind mod/admin staff, thanks Bumper and all the other guys and gals.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links