Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why is a forum of adults....?

6K views 83 replies 53 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
I just received and infraction for inappropriate use of a word. :nono: I would have never thought that a forum of adults would be restricted from free speech.

I never expected to receive a violation for funny use of the almighty "F" word. I understand habitual use, or inappropriate attacks but dam (Oops is that word allowed? :rolleyes: ) I feel like I am on a liberal forum!

I am probably going to be banned for this so I guess I have to find a true ADULT forum that doesn't act like an elementary school teacher.

#2 ·
Just because it's an adult forum doesn't mean random use of profanity is acceptable,when you agreed to abide by the rules of the forum the do's and dont's are posted, and there may be younger children also viewing posts.I have been called on using letters with hyphens etc. instead of using the entire word.If It bothers you that much I guess you can try another forum that allows profanity

#3 ·
Forum rule #4
As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.
Just to keep the atmosphere around here polite and family friendly. When I'm with my fellow Marines, I talk like you would expect, but around here I just have to watch myself.

You really think adults can't express themselves without using curse words?

#25 ·
I am pretty sure "dam" would be acceptable....i.e., "That beaver built an incredible dam!". I'm not sure about "damn", though, if that's what you were referring to.

As an FYI, insulting moderators and forum members may not be the best way to make a good first impression.

#5 ·
When it comes down to it, this is a moderated, private forum. More private than most forums in that you can't even read it without being a registered member. Their rules go, and they choose to make it family friendly.

I use profanity WAY more than I should, but around my mom, church, and on the internet, I don't have any problems saying what I need to say without it.

#22 ·
I believe that the actual I.Q. (number) can be determined by the finger symbol for that expression...???????:rofl:
:wave::wave:

#7 ·
Call me “old school” if you wish but many years ago I was taught there are certain words you only use when in certain company and they are not to be used in general. As this is a public forum we should maintain a civil and respective discourse. I applaud the moderators in enforcing the rules and maintaining civility.

#8 ·
With respect to the three posters. I asked "Where do you draw the line?" What about saying Dam? people find that offensive right so is that off limits? What about Jackass? Only in reference to an animal?

As for the private forum part you are absolutely correct and that is why I am going to stop using DC. The owner of this site has every right to run it how he see's fit. I am just disappointed that in the firearm crowd, one that prides itself on freedoms, you cant say what you are going to be if a mountain lion see's you but you don't see it.

Later.

#13 ·
We have been through this many times before and all I can say is, for those that believe they must use profanity to make a point, they will have to make that point somewhere else. We have family men, and women, that view these forums with their kids in their laps. We have religious members, ministers, wives/mothers and just everyday people that simply do not appreciate rough language. We want to be a resource for everyone that has a question, or experiences, regarding concealed carry rather than driving an entire segment of the population away. We are rather strict, I admit, but we are not unique. Lots of other forums do not allow profanity.

And, since you have indicated that our rules are not acceptable, your membership will be, as is customary, revoked. There are other forums available where you are free to do as you wish. I wish you luck...

#15 ·
And yet another reason this is pretty much the only forum I use, the amazind mod/admin staff, thanks Bumper and all the other guys and gals.

#16 ·
There is an appropriate use for profanity. This forum is not one of them.

I have read opinions on other sites where profanity and all sorts of other epitaphs are allowed and it quickly degrades into a name calling contests. This is a great forum for exchange of information and I appreciate the efforts of the mods who keep it that way. :congrats:

#19 ·
Ditto what others have already said above.
It is also good "life practice" since you WILL always be judged by what exits your mouth and how.
You may find yourself in court some day having to testify - or speaking to the district attorney - or your lawyer - or swearing out a statement.

You will be video taped and recorded during questioning.
You may have to proclaim your innocence or explain your actions and justifications.

You had best make absolutely certain that you can express yourself and convey and relate events & your thoughts and emotions to others without constantly swearing.

If you are not able to express yourself without sticking the "F" word into every other sentence, then the actual hidden consequences will be much greater than a "two point language infraction" on DefensiveCarry.

As much as you may think (or want to believe) that it's "just not fair" :mad: for people to judge you by your particular choice of words and your use of language...guess what?
THEY WILL prejudge you for using foul language and they will do that no matter if you think it's "fair" or not.
That's the reality in black and white.
Your very "future" may depend on how you come across to others and your ability to properly express yourself.

So just consider the language restrictions here as being an integral part of your overall self-defensive training.

That would be the part of your training that STARTS immediately after the shooting stops.

#20 ·
I never expected to receive a violation for funny use of the almighty "F" word.
This is a mixed forum. It's unknown how many people of what cultures are here. At minimum, it's a courtesy to not be foul-mouthed to folks you don't know. At worst, it sets a tone for profanity and ugliness that, well, too often is the standard of other places. It's not about "censorship." It's about courtesy and maturity in a mixed, public environment.

I try to ask myself one thing, before posting: would the language offend family, neighbors and a pastor or two, over for Sunday BBQ, or in someone else's home. If so, then it's fair to say that it's not appropriate.

There are all sorts of ways to communicate. It doesn't have to be foul.

this is a moderated, private forum
In a nutshell, that's it. This IS most definitely someone else's "home." Not mine.

#23 ·
I agree with what most have said. Yes, there is free speech but with that (just as with every right) comes the responsibility to use it properly. When you don't know those you are speaking to, etiquette comes into play.

#24 ·
I like it here. I find profanity offensive and distastefully. I don't allow it in my Tactical classes or on my gun range. Thanks DC for keeping it clean. :congrats::yup:

#27 ·
When you are in my house as an invited guest, then I have the absolute right to establish the acceptable rules of conduct, "arbitrary" as you may feel them to be. If, for any reason, you are unable or unwilling to abide by those rules, then I also have the absolute right to ask you to leave my house. This Forum is the equivalent of Bumper's house. In my view, it is as simple as that.

#28 ·
An extension to the use of some words.

In my experience, acronyms based on various word can also present a problem and have an unintended side-effect.

I know a dear old lady (on another unrelated forum) who would have never knowingly used certain words, but who posted some acronyms which were based on those words.

Later someone objected the the use of the acronyms, on that family forum.

She was mortified to learn that in their original forms (and as read by many current readers) these acronyms were not simply "Situation Normal All Fouled-Up", "Fouled-Up Beyond All Recognition" or "Put Out" or etc.

I'm sure that she heard someone that she trusted use them, asked what they meant, was given a "sanitized" version (rather than an apology) :nono: and she fell into an unintended trap.

I suggest we need to avoid laying that trap for others in any form of polite society.

As a Marine, as an employee representing my employer, as a Church member etc, I have very different speech patterns. It is not all that difficult to master, with a modicum of intelligence and respect for others.

#29 ·
It is not all that difficult to master, with a modicum of intelligence and respect for others.
That's about all it takes. It's also a measure of self respect, that respect for others.

#32 ·
Once again, DC shows that it's the absolute class of the internet. Thanks, Bumper, for setting the standard. Thanks to the mods for maintaining it.

My mother taught me the importance of being a gentleman, and that includes use of appropriate language in polite company. It's one thing to use profanity in (very) casual conversation, but quite another to use it when writing. It's pure laziness which shows lack of thought and lack of respect.

#33 ·
It's really a very simple life lesson....

"If you want to play in someone else's sandbox, you play by their rules"

If you can't do that, go play with yourself....... :image035:

I know, I know, I'm sorry........ :twak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.