Why I Stay (Forum Feedback)

This is a discussion on Why I Stay (Forum Feedback) within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; First, Iíd like to thank Bumper and the staff at DefensiveCarry.com for the outstanding job they do. The DC staff is tops. Now for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Stay (Forum Feedback)

First, Iíd like to thank Bumper and the staff at DefensiveCarry.com for the outstanding job they do. The DC staff is tops.

Now for the feedback part, I just wanted to let you know why ďIĒ keep coming back. Youíll notice by my post count that although Iíve been here a while I donít post much, but I read a lot. Iíve learned much from this forum. For me itís more than just guns, itís like a family in some ways. People from such diverse backgrounds all show maturity and respect for each other and are willing to answer questions from people like me.

Iíve read several threads from members (and ex-members) that seem to have a problem because they canít use foul language make rude comments or sexual innuendos etc. That is one of the biggest reasons I stay here. There are many other gun forums but none like DC. Iíll browse some others occasionally but never have found one I like, usually if Iím on a different forum itís because I need to learn something specific and Iím on a quest.

This is not a religious thread, although thatís who I am. Iím a Christian and a pastor of sorts. I no longer have a church (didnít last long anyway) but we do have an active food ministry. If youíve ever been a pastor, or in any church leadership role you find that itís very much like living in a fish bowl. Your every move is watched, critiqued and evaluated. Actually in some ways itís a very uncomfortable place to be.

Being a pastor and taking responsibility for my safety and that of my family puts me in a somewhat precarious situation. The ďsheepĒ donít always understand. Some will never understand because they donít want to, but others can be educated. As a ďgun nutĒ I could send them anywhere to learn about concealed carry and the need to provide for your own safety. As a pastor the only place I feel comfortable sending them to is DefensiveCarry.com. Here, I know that there will be a sense of maturity and respect. The rules are enforced equally and fairly.

We also do some ministry in our home and I appreciate the fact that I can leave DC up and running without worrying about the content. Iím also one of those members that reads DC sometimes with my grand babies on my lap. I would not do that with other firearm forums.

I honestly do appreciate the diligent manner in which this forum is maintained. It keeps me coming back and gives me a safe place to send some of my sheep.

Thank You

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Well said. My children also sit with me while I am here, laughing and learning with me. The knowledge I have aquired from this site is priceless, and like you said, it feels like a family. Thanks DC.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I also am a member of texaschlforum and they have the 10 yr old daughter rule,if it's not appropriate for a 10 yr old girl to read don't post it it will be either deleted or edited,and a warning issued.It's a family forum just like here and If you feel you need to use profanity go somewhere else,I too have visited other forums where people start bashing posters because they don't agree with what's being said or posting like their in some run down bar inebriated beyond any conscious thought talking to their inebriated buddys
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I add my amen here also. My daughter is now a CHL holder and married and I advised her to check out DC. I wouldn't have done that if there was a lot of trash here . I also point out this web site to all my classes. My hat is off to those that monitor this forum and for their commitment to keep this place a meeting place for friends and family.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

What Holdcard said
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Thanks, guys. I can't speak for our other mods and admins, but what you have said means a great deal to me. Sometimes we get tired of telling individuals what they can't do and it is sometimes painful to actually ban someone who refuses to follow the rules, but when we get comments like these it reinforces our determination to hang in there and keep doing the job.

I joined DefensiveCarry (then CombatCarry) for the very reasons mentioned by you guys: the family atmosphere, the welcoming attitude, the lack of flaming, and the absence of spam. I was thrilled to find a place where I felt I could bring my friends, family, and children. Later I was asked to be a moderator and I was honored to be able to join in with the others who work so diligently to maintain what we have. We are not perfect and we make mistakes, but because of the kind of place this is we find it easy to correct those mistakes and apologize for them. We also appreciate it when you, the members, help us by reporting problems to us. For those who don't know about reporting - all you have to do is click on the triangle with the exclamation point on the bottom left of a post.
    Thanks again for the kind words.
    Last edited by JD; May 13th, 2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Corrected report icon description.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

+1 here too. Although not religious, I am moral, and I believe in using acceptable language when dealing with other people. Being civil always sets a good impression. (At least that's what mom always told me).
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Holdcard, couldn't have been said better!

DC Founder
    Thanks, Holdcard, and everyone else. I also have friends, family, kids, and grandkids that know I have this website. It's up on at least one of my monitors almost 24 hours a day, whether I am sitting in front of it or not. I have heard from many of our members, some religious, some simply "moral" people (as Jon said), all people that stayed here because of our language standards. I have heard the same from parents and grandparents that refer their kids to the forum or wives/girlfriends of members that "never thought they would enjoy a gun related forum". We have several instructors that have the site on a "reference list" for their students.

I feel strongly enough about this that if the forum ever gets to the point that we cannot enforce the current language standards, I will simply close the forum. We welcome everyone at DefensiveCarry, and regret having to remove anyone, but we will to keep the standards high.
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'm just here for the gun smut. Something about a shiny wheely or a smooth black tuperwear gun that does it for me.... JUST KIDDING.
    +1 for keeping it adult clean. Never an end of interesting topics and things to ponder. Don't agree with everything...but If I did, I'd be worried.

I appreciate the job the mods and admins do, and they do a very good job of it. This forum pretty much shows how we want gun owners portrayed in public, as responsible, civilized, intelligent adults with reasonable minds.

Its always nice to come back from a field op and know that I can come here and deal with reasonable people for a while.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I echo the sentiments above.

Although I tend to swear much more than I should in person, I do feel that gratuitous swear words don't belong on any forum that is supposed to be "family friendly".

I'm not aware of any other gun forum that toes that line as well as it is done here. And I've heard many comments/complaints about other forums from people who are sensitive to this issue either personally or because they have kids roaming around their house while they are reading online.

Keep up the good work!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Thank you, Bumper - thats why I came and why I stay.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

A big AMEN to all that has been posted. I'm another one that doesn't post a lot, but am on the forum daily. The mods do a great job and don't get the kudos that they should.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert Einstien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links