A Mean Spirited Comment Goes a Long Way

This is a discussion on A Mean Spirited Comment Goes a Long Way within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Well... DC has been my Home for awhile now Just as a point my old home site was Packing.org, IMHO you can't do any better ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Mean Spirited Comment Goes a Long Way

Well... DC has been my Home for awhile now Just as a point my old home site was Packing.org, IMHO you can't do any better then be right here and love what ya got, .Nuff said.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I believe several, including P95Carry, have said it pretty well. The tone of written text in a forum is often misinterpreted. I know that I have read something, taken exception to it PM'd the person only to have them come back explaining that that was in no way the message they were trying to convey. Reading a post out loud may in fact help you understand the various ways a post can be interpreted.

All of that being said, some people are just grumpy.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I apologise for my comment,I came from an area that during tornado season set off the sirens a couple times a month due to storms developing with possible tornados,after awhile people got complacent and started ignoring the sirens,til a tornado hit and they had several people injured and a few fatalitys because they thought they would have enough time to take cover if and when they saw or heard it coming.The same holds true in other areas also complacency can get us in trouble pretty quick and i have to work on trying not to get complacent regardless of what i am doing that might end up with somebody getting hurt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Either there are occasional mean-spirited comments or there are not. It is pretty clear that there are some, but only a tiny fraction of a minority.
    I was talking only about those very few.
    In a ballpark with 55,000 fans, one fan is unruly. Does a news commentator then say that the entire crowd was disgraceful? Never. That is what I am trying to prevent from happening here.

For the record, dukalmighty was/is not one of them, I wanted to say right away before anyone thinks he is. He has great posts and I like to read his stuff. I was talking about one archived matter and one current matter, but his post ain't it. Want to be sure everyone knows I was not referring to him.

I tried to get help just now for this forum addiction but all the counselors told me to call back, as they were currently online.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    I tried to get help just now for this forum addiction but all the counselors told me to call back, as they were currently online.
    OK, I'm free for counseling now...please call:

Press #1 for English...then,
    Press #7 IF you have a DC addiction...then,
    Press #4 IF you have had this addiction longer than 6 months...
    Press #5 IF you have had this addiction less than 6 months...then,
    Press #2 IF you post more that once per week...
    Press #8 IF you feel a need to criticize the posts of others...then,
    Press #6 IF you stay up at night wondering if other posters like your posts...
    Press #3 IF you are worried about what others think about your posts...then,
    IF you have pressed #3, please have your credit card ready...the fee for phone counseling is $10 per minute...
    Press #9 If you feel that other posters who criticize your posts must have you confused with somebody else who 'gives a doo-doo'...
    If you HAVE pressed #9, why are you still on the phone?

Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's ALL small stuff...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ah, but not all of life is comprised of small stuff, not by a longshot. I know that sometimes something is referred to that way when in fact it is part of a much larger issue, that of the decline of values in our society, not this country only but worldwide.
    We can shrug anything off, true. But some things should be commented upon. Widespread rudeness in our society should be commented on. It is our duty to comment on it if for no other reason than to show that we all see it.
    Problems are never dealt with by ignoring them.
    What I mentioned above is only a microscopic part of a growing trend of disrespect and lack of moral values since about 1960.
    I like your phone menu a lot. It reminds me of every single call I make to a company or doctor's office. Easier to just drive over there and ask them your questions :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Thanks also to Bumper for the way he runs this forum. Not many could do it with his skill.
    I know what you meant but the first time I read it I thought of the underhanded slight similar to, 'You're smarter than you look."

Bumper, you have created a great community. Thank you.

I almost changed it because it caught my eye too, but then I thought I HOPE Bumper knows what I mean.....let me clarify it because it bothered me too
    THANKS ALSO TO BUMPER FOR THE WAY HE RUNS THIS FORUM.
    NOT MANY PEOPLE HAVE THE ABILITY THAT HE HAS, AND THE SKILL THAT HE HAS, TO RUN A FORUM.....there, how is that, Bumper.
    Thanks, self defense, sometimes we should go with our first impulses and mine was to change it immediately but I did not.
    Maybe that is why I can't log in all of a sudden? :)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    OK, I'm free for counseling now...please call...
    That's hysterical! Very clever!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I called, but the message says that retsupt99 is online, and he was supposed to help me with this internet addiction.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I think dcb has a point. We get new people coming on board all the time (officially) and I suspect many viewed and scrolled before joining. Many other sites are horrible and people better say the right thing to the right people or it all breaks loose. I have learned a TON from everyone here and hope I've helped a few others along the way. Bumper and others are pretty good at giving latitude until the thread crosses the line. I don't want this Forum to give anyone watching from the sidelines the impression "geez, this is just like the rest," because it isn't! This is THE BEST on the net. And that's all I got to say 'bout that...............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

A long time ago I heard "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen". I don't think we all agree on everything, evertime ... but I am pretty sure the main points we would all agree on. And if not lighten up some. Y'all hang in there!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

This IS the best, but lightening up is fine, too. But rudeness is epidemic in our society and even if no one ever points it out, I do. If no one ever mentions it again on any forum, I will. Not every time I see it but occasionally. It is only commenting on the truth, is all. As I said, anyone can lighten up and take everything with a grain of salt all the time, and that is part of how we ended up with our society the way it is, by always saying, hey, no big deal. A lot of no big deals ends up being an acceptance of what should not be tolerated, rudeness. So I say something about it. Not advocating that a rude person should be shot or tarred and feathered, but just saying that these types exist. That was the whole point of my original post, just to point it out. But a lot of folks think that me pointing it out means I must be up half the night pacing the floors because of it. No way. I get a good night's sleep each night :)

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Not at all dcb - your observations are correct. Most people have taken the "head in the sand" approach to most things in life for a number of reasons. Whether it's PC-ness, fear, ignorance, indifference or whatever the reason, at the end of the day society has eroded (not evolved) to what it is today. Most of us here are on the same page which is reason #42 why we are different from most others.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sometimes statements are taken out of context and the need for thick skin is required. However, there are times when completely unnecessary comments are made and require correction. How, I really don't know. I do agree with other members here that, especially compared to the way the now defunct packing.org was at the end, DefensiveCarry is very civil and much can be learned here.
    Last edited by ronwill; May 21st, 2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Grammer
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links