Pledge of Allegience Story discussion closed?

This is a discussion on Pledge of Allegience Story discussion closed? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; At risk of getting in trouble with moderators, I'm unclear why the comments to the "McCain's Pledge of Allegience Story from the POW camp" got ...

Thread: Pledge of Allegience Story discussion closed?

Pledge of Allegience Story discussion closed?

At risk of getting in trouble with moderators, I'm unclear why the comments to the "McCain's Pledge of Allegience Story from the POW camp" got removed.

It looks like a pro-McCain political thread got posted by a senior member, and once comments critical of McCain were posted they were deleted and the thread closed.

If we're going to have a no-politics rule it seems like the thread itself should be deleted, not just the dissenting posts.

Not trying to start a political flamewar here - but this feels like moderators implicitly pushing the pro McCain line in contravention to the general no-politics rules here.
    Last edited by dnowell; June 8th, 2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo corrected from threat to thread

2. Remove Ads

I didnt start the thread pro-anybody. The story struck my heart as a veteran and patriot. The story came from a Veteran and Former POW, and the fact that he happens to be running for president at the moment didnt really occur to me. Perhaps it stuck me a bit harder than usual because I just buried my dad, a Vietnam veteran himself who earned the purple heart and bronze start with a v-device for valor. Yeah, the whole ceremony the thing that choked me up the most was the military honors ceremony, and after the whole thing when the Honor Guard guys told me quite convincingly that they felt it was an honor to be there.

If my thread has in a short time caused any political banter then its purpose is lost anyway, and let it be closed or deleted.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Cupcake - thanks for the clarification. I have no end of respect for the many veterans who have given so much to the country. I guess I reacted so strongly because I felt like that respect was being hijacked for a political purpose.

Lead Moderator
    Any posts/threads likely to end in a flamefest will be closed, especially political threads.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I respect veterans of war.It is strange the OP was left without any comments.My point was if a man is not trustworthy in his marriage,can we trust him with gun ownership rights.It has been my experience that,even though political comments are supposed to be about guns and 2A rights,pro-republican comments and democrat bashing seem to be ok on this forum.I am here everyday,and I realize I am a guest.I do not understand the double standard.Plenty of democrats believe in gun rights and freedom.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I respect veterans of war.It is strange the OP was left without any comments.My point was if a man is not trustworthy in his marriage,can we trust him with gun ownership rights.It has been my experience that,even though political comments are supposed to be about guns and 2A rights,pro-republican comments and democrat bashing seem to be ok on this forum.I am here everyday,and I realize I am a guest.I do not understand the double standard.Plenty of democrats believe in gun rights and freedom.
    I generally leave those out for viewing for a little while with a note on why a thread was closed, hoping that our members will get the hint that we don't do non gun related politics.

When we catch threads on non-gun related politics we can them.

We don't get to read every thread or post on the forum, if anyone finds threads or posts violating forum policy regarding politics, the report post icon should be used and we will can the threads and posts violating the policy.

The thread in question has been removed from the public forum.

Further more, if you have a problem with the actions of the staff, take it up in private with the staff members.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ourtesies.html

And, finally, a very important point, if you have any grievances with the actions of the staff, it is best handled privately rather than open forum. A simple PM is usually all it takes, as answering questions and concerns regarding the forum is part of our job. I would ask you to remember that our staff are all volunteers and spend hundreds of hours "on the job" here every week. Civility and respect, the trademark of this forum, is expected in communications with our staff, just as it is with our other members. Getting an attitude in communications with staff either privately or in open forum will rarely get your concern addressed satisfactorily and will often jeopardize your membership.

Links