Help me, I'm an idiot......

This is a discussion on Help me, I'm an idiot...... within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Ok......I've searched, I've tried different things, I've prayed for devine guidance, and I still can't figure out how to post a link to a news ...

Thread: Help me, I'm an idiot......

Ok......I've searched, I've tried different things, I've prayed for devine guidance, and I still can't figure out how to post a link to a news story so that the body of the story is included in the post.

I'll gladly accept all appropriate abuse in exchange for the secret handshake, or whatever is necessary to do so.......

post the link, and under it, use quote tags...

{quote}body of story{/quote}

Instead of {} use the plain brackets []. The {} were included so the program wouldn't make it a quote.

It's the same thing as if you use the quote button on other peoples posts.

It normally shows up as
    {quote=whoever}
    quoted text
    {/quote}

The '/' is the character that ends the quote, or underline, or italics, or any other formating.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    Here's the trick.

You have to copy and paste the story text into the message, surrounded by quote tags.

{quote}blah blah blah.....{/quote}

with the { and } replaced by [ and ] respectively.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Wow. Simultaneous engagement with near-identical posts.

Cool.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Wow. Simultaneous engagement with near-identical posts.

Cool.
    Yep, we even both used the same {}. Which are worthless keys, because, I mean, who ever uses them? Why couldn't we have something else there? Like a second 's' or something that people actually use. Oh, well.

I guess I am glad they are there, because if they weren't it would be difficult to explain 'quote' tags.

There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Ok, let's try this.......

'Wife Beater' carved into Jacksonville man's chest -- OrlandoSentinel.com

'Wife Beater' carved into Jacksonville man's chest
    6:37 AM EDT, July 3, 2008
    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Authorities say someone knocked a Jacksonville man unconscious and carved the words "Wife Beater" into his chest.

According to a police report, the 22-year-old naval officer was attacked after he left a bar. When the man woke up in a haze, he lifted his bloody shirt and found the phrase scrawled on his stomach.

The man, who was arrested in March on a domestic battery charge, filed a police complaint Monday on the advice of his naval commander.

Well I'll be danged........ Thanks guys.

BTW, nothing really to say about the above story.....just chose it for the test. But it is kind of entertaining......

Here's what I do, typically.

1. Find a story that's interesting.

2. Using your mouse, highlight the URL address for the article, then copy that text (in anticipation of pasting it ... soon).

3. Type a few words as the lead-in for the article, ie: Chasing Tornados On Bob's Road.

4. Highlight the text that will become your link. In this case, highlight the words you've just typed that will become your link to the article.

5. Click on the little editing icon that looks like a globe with a chain link on it. You'll be prompted for the URL that your text should point to. Paste your URL text when prompted. That does it for making the link to the article. You end up with a link like this: Chasing Tornados On Bob's Road.

6. Now, to paste the article, simply continue on in your posting to craft a {quote}text text text{/quote} segment as others have suggested. This will add the actual block of text right there in your own posting.

What you end up with is (a) a link to the article and (b) a copy of the actual text itself.

Edit: Looking at the post you just made, it looks like you've got it. Congrats.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    BTW, nothing really to say about the above story.....just chose it for the test. But it is kind of
    entertaining......
    Interesting story, if you take it for its double meaning... "Naval Commander"? It's almost funny.

P.S.

Never fret about asking questions on a forum. That's what all these great guys and gals are here for. As I like telling my customers:

"The only stupid question there is, is the one you don't ask!"
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Of course the easiest way to quote something is to highlight what you want to quote, then copy it using the copy button in the edit function of your browser or use Ctrl-c, click the quote button (looks like a cartoon speech balloon when you put the cursor on it shows "Wrap [Quote] tags around selected text) at the top of the message box - your cursor will end up between the two [Quote] tags, and then paste your copied quotation either by using the paste option in the browser or by using Ctrl-v. This saves you the trouble of having to create the quote tags.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Yep, we even both used the same {}. Which are worthless keys, because, I mean, who ever uses them?
    Well, at least you two guys! Came in handy, didn't they?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sponsored Links