Link problems

Link problems

This is a discussion on Link problems within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I can type this link directly and they work. http://www.palehorseholsters.com/mufti1.jpg As you can see, they do not work from here (althought sometimes they do work ...

Thread: Link problems

Link problems

I can type this link directly and they work.

http://www.palehorseholsters.com/mufti1.jpg

As you can see, they do not work from here (althought sometimes they do work when doing a preview). Can anyone tell how to avoid this error?

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by Bumper; July 3rd, 2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Reduced to one link

Palehorseholsters has enabled some security features to protect themselves from bandwidth and intellectual property theft. You could contact them and ask them to let people start using their bandwidth and content.

Either that, or they're using something free... which the message you're getting appears to indicate.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

What a pain :)

You would think they would want folks to look at their products ...

Oh well, direct links work ...

Thanks

Mike

Senior Moderator
    An increasing number of picture hosting sites are refusing remote linking (where you link to the image from a website other than their own).

The only cure is to download the picture and upload it to an account of your own on a hosting site (provided the image isn't copyrighted).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    The only cure is to download the picture and upload it to an account of your own on a hosting site (provided the image isn't copyrighted).
    This is the preferred method so links to photos do not become broken as sites change. These kind of links can also severely slow page loading on this forum at times, as the problem is trying to be resolved. When that happens, I will generally remove the links, post or thread that is causing the problem....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    One should also be aware that some folks, upon noticing a bunch of unwanted remote linking, will replace the picture with something, um, well, inappropriate for a family site.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I've actually had this happen to me. Someone linked to one of my small graphic files. At first it didn't really bother me, but then his site got very busy and my bandwidth usage went up considerably. That could very well be the case here.

I think the way I fixed it was in the .htaccess file. There's a command that won't allow a link unless it comes from the actual domain.

Holdcard

Edited to add, once I had the image in cache it came right up just like it's supposed to. Once I clear my cache it will go away again. I'd never noticed that before?
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Sponsored Links