Signature Observation

Signature Observation

This is a discussion on Signature Observation within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Most people have a little saying or quote in their signature on forums, including this one. No offense and I am not trying to make ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signature Observation

Signature Observation

Most people have a little saying or quote in their signature on forums, including this one.

No offense and I am not trying to make everyone politically correct but some of the signature "sayings" on this forum seem overly aggressive. May I suggest that the saying you have posted be something you would not be embarrassed to speak in public, to your family or to a Prosecutor.

I don't want to point out anything specific but as an example when the word "kill" is used in the signature that seems more offensive than defensive.

But of course I respect everyone's right to their own signature.

I agree with you. Some of the signatures here do seem a little offensive to me, I tend to ignore them for the most part. I'm a little concerned for those without a military, gun, whatever background who may come across a post from a search engine. Even if it's a good post, the signature may ruin it.

Another observation I've made is with images in the signature. Some can have it, and some cant'. Not a big deal I was just wondering if anyone knew the rational behind it. A vBulletin upgrade that affected some and not others? Just curious and not intended as a thread jack.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Thumbs up

In the age of the search engine, it's a good reminder that folks other than the discussion's immediate participants are "listening" ... for years to come.

The nice thing about sigs and avatar pics, though, is that you can turn them off if you don't want to see them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...only the stating the facts!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well this is one of several forums I visit and I must say this one is the MOST sensitive one! I mean come on people are we not mature enough to handle a small amount of adult context?
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Administrator

Concerning adult content - Please be assured that Bumper is not a prude.
    He does though want to keep this site Family Friendly in order that it may serve as a valuable educational concealed carry and firearms resource for people new to firearm carry - for females - for older folks & religious folks and basically everybody interested in becoming an armed responsible citizen.

Forum members are expected to represent themselves as upstanding, outstanding, human beings.

Most of you really ARE just that - so...why should we expect any less than that from you?

It's good practice for the real world.
    AKA learning to communicate in such a way as you come across to other people as an exemplary person.

That is the reason why we actually enforce the rules here.

We try to keep this place clean enough and decent enough so that a parent can sit in front of their computer with their kid on their lap and not have to worry about what is going to pop up on the next forum page.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
    Well this is one of several forums I visit and I must say this one is the MOST sensitive one! I mean come on people are we not mature enough to handle a small amount of adult context?
    I don't think thats the issue we're talking about. Not to pick on anyone specifically, but the sig line "Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet." I understand completely. I understand it because I've really familiarized myself with being safe and facing reality. This happened over time and with some dedication on my part.

Think of what a would think when they read that line? It's not about adult content (although this is a family style forum) it's about whether or not we come off like responsible people or do we sound like vigilantes, nut cases, or do we carry guns because we're looking for someone to kill.

To give another example, I've been working with seriously disabled people for years now. Many are my friends. Some of the humor we share in private concerning disability issues sounds cruel and heartless to those who are not familiar with disability. I do my best to refrain from such humor while in public.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

VIP Member
    Does mine pass the 'smell test'?......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    ... the sig line "Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Think of what a would think when they read that line? It's not about adult content (although this is a family style forum) it's about whether or not we come off like responsible people or do we sound like vigilantes, nut cases, or do we carry guns because we're looking for someone to kill.
    The knee-jerk response is to take it out of context, or to not appreciate its context.

Marine camp in Fallujah, Iraq: posted sign.

This specific statement has a purpose, of course. The meaning is basically that life can turn on a dime and, if you're not prepared to handle such sharp turns you can get killed. So, better to have a plan.

It does not mean one has a desire to kill. It merely acknowledges in simple terms the reality one faces when life blows sideways. Have a plan, or not.

I suppose, the more-subtle and PC way to say the same thing would be: calling dial-a-prayer (911) is not a plan.

Administrator
    You can always rent out my signature space.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You can always rent out my signature space.
    What's the going rate for that?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Costly for the likes of you and me, no doubt. Costly, indeed!

Well, I wanted to use "The only times in life when you can have too much ammo are when you're on fire or trying to swim.", but that one was already taken.

Even thought it is unofficial USMC doctrine, maybe I should change mine so I don't offend anyone.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I was going to go with this...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own. He uses force to seize a value; I use it only to destroy destruction. A holdup man seeks to gain wealth by killing me; I do not grow richer by killing a holdup man. I seek no values by means of evil, nor do I surrender my values to evil."

But it was too long and somebody had already taken it.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I dunno, make an offer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links