Forum Upgrade

This is a discussion on Forum Upgrade within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Well thanks to Miggy, we are now in possession of the latest set of the rules. They were long enough that he had to send ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum Upgrade

DC Founder
    Well thanks to Miggy, we are now in possession of the latest set of the rules. They were long enough that he had to send them to me split up across 3 different PMs. I have to go out for awhile but will re-assemble them and get them back in their proper place later tonight.

Miggy, you da man
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

I noticed one other change...Used to, when you responded to a post, it took you to your post on the page, or if there was a post when you were typing, it took you to it. Now it takes you to the top of the page. That will take a bit of getting used to, also.

ETA: Well, I thought it was doing it, but when I hit post, it stayed at my post. Maybe it's different in different areas of the forum? Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

Ahh, it's the 'go advanced' posting that takes you to the top of the forum.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    My pleasure Bumper. By pure luck, I "stole" them a couple of weeks ago to use as reference for our Club's forum. DC's rules are IMHO a great guideline and by the behavior of our members they work!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

DC Founder
    The rules are back in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I noticed one other change...Used to, when you responded to a post, it took you to your post on the page, or if there was a post when you were typing, it took you to it. Now it takes you to the top of the page. That will take a bit of getting used to, also.

ETA: Well, I thought it was doing it, but when I hit post, it stayed at my post. Maybe it's different in different areas of the forum? Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

Ahh, it's the 'go advanced' posting that takes you to the top of the forum.
    I'll check it and see if I can find out what's going on. Mine goes to my post regardless of whether it is a quick reply or a reply made through the advanced editor, but you're not the only one experiencing that problem. Quirks are a real pain sometimes to figure out but I'm pretty sure that is not considered an enhancement....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    My pleasure Bumper. By pure luck, I "stole" them a couple of weeks ago to use as reference for our Club's forum. DC's rules are IMHO a great guideline and by the behavior of our members they work!
    Glad they worked for you, Miggy. We've actually had several people ask if the could use our rules as a base to personalize for another website. We have no problem with people using them elsewhere....

Thanks, again, I was really not looking forward to trying to reconstruct them.
    Bumper

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Any chance for the YouTube video embed plugin?

It shows the video on the page without leaving DC.
    I have considered it in the past, but would rather not allow external code to be run from a post.
    Bumper

Administrator
    Thanks Miggy!

When I go to my normal opening page http://www.defensivecarry.com

I get this error on the lower left of my browser IE7

Line: 12

Char: 225511

Error: 'vBulletin' is null or not an object

Code: 0

URL: http://www.defensivecarry.com
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

VIP Member
    As usual Bumper has us running efficiently. Great job.You don't get near the praise you should for the job you do for us. Thanks again for a great forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post

Interesting, that sounds like a bug in the CMS, which does not have an upgrade available. I'll try to re-install the product later tonight and see if it will clear that one up. I cannot replicate it in FireFox and not sure if it would happen in IE8....

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As usual Bumper has us running efficiently. Great job.You don't get near the praise you should for the job you do for us. Thanks again for a great forum.
    Thanks, I try, although every upgrade I make seems to fix some problems and inject new ones....
    Bumper

Although I usually prefer to use Firefox, I gave IE7 a try and everything seemed to work just fine. No errors.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Although I usually prefer to use Firefox, I gave IE7 a try and everything seemed to work just fine. No errors.
    I only get it on this link http://www.defensivecarry.com
    All the other forum pages are fine with IE7

It looks like one of those pesky javascript source code errors.

DC Founder
    It looks like one of those pesky javascript source code errors.
    That's what I'm thinking. I think vBulletin changed the way they use java scripts, leaving that particular software with a problem. I will get it updated tonight and we'll see if your problem is resolved tomorrow. Be sure and let me know.
    Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. I think vBulletin changed the way they use java scripts, leaving that particular software with a problem. I will get it updated tonight and we'll see if your problem is resolved tomorrow. Be sure and let me know.
    Yep, vBulletin and Joomala both changed the way they read java scripts. But from what I can tell their doesn't seem to be many work arounds. Good luck Bumper and I will update you on the end result.

Thanks

Craiger

DC Founder
    Okay, since there was a new version of the CMPS, I just upgraded it. There was a different java script (larger anyway - I didn't open the script) that hopefully addresses your problem, Craiger. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

While I was at it, I also upgraded the links software. If all works well, I will upgrade the gallery tomorrow night....
    Bumper

Hey, Bumper, I really like the new feature for when you click on thumbnails...looks all high tech and stuff.

Thanks for keeping this forum up and running. We sure do appreciate it.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links