Advertising question??

This is a discussion on Advertising question?? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Will you always limit your forum members to the offerings of 12-sponsers?...

Thread: Advertising question??

Advertising question??

Will you always limit your forum members to the offerings of 12-sponsers?
    YOU CAN ONLY HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO IF YOU'RE ON FIRE OR DROWNING!

Benefactor Member NRA -- Life Member GOA -- Life (Christian) Member JPFO -- Card Carrying Minuteman

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Are you asking if we are going to increase the amount of advertisers or are the slots going to change to different sponsors over time?

I'm asking if you are ever going to increase the number of slots available.

As it is now, I can not buy a slot and offer custom new and remanufactured ammo.

This may be of interest to some forum members.
    YOU CAN ONLY HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO IF YOU'RE ON FIRE OR DROWNING!

Benefactor Member NRA -- Life Member GOA -- Life (Christian) Member JPFO -- Card Carrying Minuteman

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan View Post
    I'm asking if you are ever going to increase the number of slots available.

As it is now, I can not buy a slot and offer custom new and remanufactured ammo.

This may be of interest to some forum members.
    This is something I am considering, but a decision has not been made yet. While the financial support is very important to the forum, I don't want advertising to become so obtrusive that it detracts from the original purpose.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Not that it's my place as a simple member, but have you considered using a script like OpenX to rotate ads? Have, say, 8 spots instead of 12, but offer rotation to 24 advertisers. Advertisers would get approximately 1/3 of all page views, and visitors would see fresh offers more often.

Rotation on 8 spots would help decrease ad blindness (it is really easy to ignore the block of ads up top as they are the same every time), decrease the cost of entry for new advertisers, and potentially increase overall revenue for DC.

Just some thoughts, keep on keeping on.

DC Founder
    I haven't seen OpenX, but have not been impressed with the mods out there that rotate banners in vBulletin. It would have to be a vBulletin product for me to seriously consider it because of the all of the patches, new maintenance releases and upgrades that come out. Plugins are easy to straighten out after upgrades. That being said, there was little available that I liked when I added banners so I struggled through the code (and the placement) and am not in a real big hurry to have to re-do it from scratch.

I believe, although I have no evidence, that members do use the banners when they are in the market for a product that our sponsors provide. All of our sponsors are participating members, as well, so familiarity with the product (and the member) is already there for the most part. I don't think that banner advertising on this site would be effective if the banner was just put up and the business owner didn't participate. And, considering the cost of advertising on similar forums with less traffic, I think our rates are pretty fair.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Links