If You Think We're Too Strict... - Page 2

If You Think We're Too Strict...

This is a discussion on If You Think We're Too Strict... within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Mods do a great job ! It's one job I wouldn't want to do but needs doing. Thanks !...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Mods do a great job ! It's one job I wouldn't want to do but needs doing.
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Mods do a great job ! It's one job I wouldn't want to do but needs doing.
    Thanks !
    They better do a good job for the money they make.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All you have to do to realize what a great job the moderators on this forum do is to remember back to Packing.org.

It was a great forum to begin with but then became an unmoderated quagmire (sound a little like Teddie, don't I??).

To steal a movie line, on some forums "I feel like I'm babysitting but I'm not getting paid".

Kudos to the Moderators!!!!!

How was that? Do I get points? A free subscription or something?
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'd still buy anyone on this forum a steak dinner.

I'm kind of hungry could you send me your credit card number so I could go get my steak dinner now..........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Talking

I'd still buy anyone on this forum a steak dinner.

Well, there are 1,740 members that have posted since August 1st, and the Members list shows 20,571 members and you figure your average steak dinner costs around $20 per person...

So, if you count just the members who have posted in the last month, it comes out at $34,800 and if you count the guys who lurk or haven't posted in a while you end up paying a whopping $411,420.

That doesn't take into account the fact that you would be eating, too, so I would say its time to start looking for a second job.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    Yep, but since I've only actually met a total of 3 members on this forum, I think it'll be OK.

As long as everyone don't show up at once, that is.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Yep, but since I've only actually met a total of 3 members on this forum, I think it'll be OK.

As long as everyone don't show up at once, that is.

You are hereby invited to the multi-state lunch in VA on Sep. 13th.

Senior Moderator
    Thankyou for that JD.I am touched, deeply.
    If I happen to be in Virginia, around then I'll be sure to attend.

With all this talk about steak, Im going to have to go to Western Sizzlin for lunch. I'm about due. Its been 4 days now...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Just an FYI. GlockTalk is heading in the same direction of the S&W Forum if things don't change.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Politicial Issues & Glock Talk
    Folks, I think many here have lost site of what this site is about and why it was started. Glock Talk is a firearms enthusiasts' message board website. It is a place where typically like-minded people come to discuss common interests. Most people here are firearms enthusiasts and most are conservatives. I know there are liberals here who are also firearms enthusiasts, but most here lean to the right. I built & run this site and I am a conservative Republican. Like does tend to attract like and most of the readership here are in similar orbits. Many may not like this fact or even deny it, but it is a fact.

My opinion on the discussion of politics in public is well known here. I believe that arguing politics with people in public is an utterly useless thing to do. It is nothing more than ideological/intellectual self-gratification. It accomplishes nothing, although some people seem to like the way it makes them feel. It is the internet equivalently of empty calories. It makes your ass bigger (Or makes you a bigger ass), but doesn't give you any nourishment. It is an indulgence and it is one I don't think much of. Most people here do not enjoy the esoteric political discussions. I saw that there were enough people here that did enjoy such discussions though, so I created the Political Issues forum here, to give them a place to indulge themselves.

This forum has proven an important safety valve for the rest of the site, over the years. It has been a place to shift such discussions when they crop up and to contain them. It has also caused a new problem, which has been gathering strength for a few years now, unfortunately. It has become a destination unto itself, for people that come here for no other reason than to argue politics. I grudgingly allow that forum for the use of legitimate members of our community here to indulge in political discussions, but it was never intended to be what it has become.

We have three problems that have developed: One, we have liberals showing up that are here for no other purpose than to argue politics and poke the evil conservatives with a stick. These types don't give a crap about the primary purpose of this site. They start trouble and give nothing positive back to this community. The second problem are otherwise legitimate and contributing members here, conservative and liberal alike, who have taken it upon themselves to champion the cause of their political party and educate the misinformed. The third problem group don't give much of a crap one way or the other about the politics. They are attracted to the fray and caper about, provoking others. In short, the Political Issues forum has turned into a circus. I have no desire to host a circus, folks.

It is just past one pm here and I have already received more than twenty reported posts, emails and PM's concerning problems in the Political Issues forum. This can't continue. I am going to give the members that participate in the PI and Furball forums two weeks to turn things around. If that doesn't happen, I am going to close both forums. If those forums do get closed, political discussions will no longer be allowed on Glock Talk. If this happens, I will still allow political current events to be posted and discussed, but the minute they turn into the same old political discussions, they will be closed and anyone who is repeatedly found in the middle of the arguments will be sanctioned.

During this time period and from now on, if that forum stays open, we are going to crack down on bad behavior in that area. If you are there to start trouble, if you cannot discuss something without resorting to name calling and rude behavior, if you are frequently involved in trouble, your days there are numbered. I am also going to start checking into someone's participation on this site, when they get into trouble. People whose only participation on GT is in the PI, RI & Furball forums are going to start receiving much less consideration here.

Whether you are conservative or liberal, I expect people to comport themselves with some maturity and self-restraint here. To the liberals here though, especially the ones here only to participate in political discussions, you need to realize that this is not a level playing field. This site is overwhelmingly conservative and there are limits to what I will allow to accommodate you here. Tilt at windmills here if you like, but realize that you are not on your home turf, any more than I would be if I went to the DU and started singing Palin's praises. Your viewpoints will meet with resistance here and there is only so much disruption of my site that I am going to allow. If your arguments contribute to problems here and you get in trouble for it, don't act surprised or get your ass in the air about it. You are in Indian country here. I knew a guy in high school that went to our rival high school, stood on the front lawn and yelled insults at the school, during homecoming week. Well, some large, corn-fed rival schoolboys beat the ever-living crap out of him. Should it have happened to him? Was it fair or right? No, but if he hadn't gone there and waved his private parts at his rivals, he wouldn't have had his ass handed to him.

So, what did I mean by that last paragraph? I imagine it will be massively misconstrued, misquoted and misunderstood by many. What I am trying to say is that liberals are on largely rival territory here and they need to tread lightly. Does this mean they can't share their views or speak their minds? No it does not. It means that they need to understand the political/ideological topography here and the need to exercise some tact and forethought when they post. They need to understand and accept that their opinions may not be well-received here and so choose their words carefully.

Does that mean that conservatives get a free pass here? No, it does not. I don't want anyone acting like a jerk here. Ironically, some of the worst offenders in this area and some of the most notorious people I have had to ban for behavior concerning politics have been conservatives. We have had some really over-the-top liberal problem children here, but most liberals that cause problems here tend to try to find the line and skirt it closely. I think it is part of the mindset. I once saw a King of the Hill episode where Bobby was asking his dad if he could get by with something in a baseball game. He was trying to work the margins of the rules. His dad told him, "Don't play lawyer-ball, Bobby." I love that term and I really hate its practice. I really, really do not like the sort of cat that tries to find the line past which they get banned, so they can snuggle up against it. This sort of person needs to understand that this is not a court of law and GT's rules are not engraved in stone. There is no line someone can follow and stay safe, if I think it is their intention to start trouble. Don't play lawyer-ball with me.

Obviously, this announcement applies primarily to the people who participate in the PI & Furball forums, but I am posting it site-wide. There is applies to everyone and in an election year like this, everyone on the site needs to read this. I closed the PI forum about thirty minutes ago. I received two complaints about people's antics in the PI forum, while I attempted to write the first two paragraphs of this announcement. I think I am going to leave that forum closed until tomorrow morning, 9-5-08. I believe everyone there could use a cooling off period. It probably won't happen, but I would love it if the players in that forum used this down time to examine their participation and conduct in that forum. Many of them take politics, themselves and the things posted in that forum way, way too seriously. Lighten up guys. Nothing you post in that forum is going to solve any of the world's problems and nothing posted there should have the power to raise your blood pressure. If it does, you should seriously reconsider your participation there. Life is too damned short to waste any of it in such a frustrating and pointless endeavor. I could say more, but I suspect that the ones that really need to hear the message aren't listening.

This is a community. Most of us came together to share the companionship of like-minded people. I allow a lot of latitude here, but the subject of politics is driving a wedge between people here and I don't want that to happen. Diversity is a good thing, but there is a very real difference between diversity and anarchy. Thanks for reading. Eric

BTW, the childish 'I'd Hit It' comments concerning Palin need to stop. If you cannot discuss the woman like a reasonable adult, please keep your comments to yourself. EP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links