If You Think We're Too Strict...

This is a discussion on If You Think We're Too Strict... within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Try the S&W forum. The owner of that forum has flatly prohibited ALL, yes, ALL political threads, no exceptions. Anyone who posts a political thread ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Think We're Too Strict...

1943 - 2009

Try the S&W forum.

The owner of that forum has flatly prohibited ALL, yes, ALL political threads, no exceptions. Anyone who posts a political thread over there faces an automatic 30 day suspension from the board.

I am NOT saying that we're going to do this here at DC, so don't get your undies in a bunch. I'm merely illustrating how one forum owner chose to deal with the volatile subject of politics. I don't know if I agree or disagree with him, because on the one hand, it's difficult, maybe impossible, to separate politics and gun control. On the other hand, these discussions can get out of control very easily. I don't envy his position. Enemies have been made and friendships have been broken over political discussions.

We will continue on our present course of allowing political discussions that relate directly to the 2nd Amendment, gun control and the right to bear arms. When they stray or drift, we'll take the necessary action, just like we've always done.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    Enemies have been made over a forum with people you have actually never met?

Wouldnt that be a "virtual enemy"?

I have some that I like to argue with,and some that downright tick me off by being stupid, but I wouldnt call any of them my enemies. I'd still buy anyone on this forum a steak dinner.

Gun Control is political. That's just the way it is. For the most part I think y'all do OK when it comes to moderation, I know that it can be very difficult to know where exactly to draw the line.

All I've got to say about that is better you than me dude...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member

Bravo and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I have some that I like to argue with,and some that downright tick me off by being stupid, but I wouldnt call any of them my enemys. I'd still buy anyone on this forum a steak dinner.

Gun Control is political. That's just the way it is. For the most part I think y'all do OK when it comes to moderation, I know that it can be very difficult to know where exactly to draw the line.

All I've got to say about that is better you than me dude...
    Bravo for the above, and a big thanks to the moderators and to all who help them.

And apologies for my contributions to the political stuff.

I too consider no one here an enemy. Actually, our country needs the open debate of diverse views, but clearly there must be limits here to focus on gun related matters.

The problem is that too many can't keep political debate to the issues, they become personal attacks, and I feel that is wrong. I do agree that debate on any issue is a good thing because it generally increases both sides knowledge of the issue, or it helps one or both of the participants to understand the point of view of the other, and possibly give them a totally new perspective on the issue. When one/both get mad, then they lose and the debate becomes personal. At that point, everyone loses.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PcMakr View Post
    The problem is that too many can't keep political debate to the issues, they become personal attacks, and I feel that is wrong. I do agree that debate on any issue is a good thing because it generally increases both sides knowledge of the issue, or it helps one or both of the participants to understand the point of view of the other, and possibly give them a totally new perspective on the issue. When one/both get mad, then they lose and the debate becomes personal. At that point, everyone loses.
    That however is not the "issue", it's the "attitude" that is the problem.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think it is pretty black and white (absolutely no pun/racism intended)...one is for and one is against 2A. I see no need to debate. Now one only needs to decide how they personally rank 2A with other issues.

Rick

VIP Member
    I think the moderators here do a great job. It definitely isn't an easy one. 2A is a volatile subject and very politically charged. Almost imposible to keep the 2 seperate, but they do a good job of it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd still buy anyone on this forum a steak dinner.

I am down here in Gulfport, Ms right now, but I can get you the address if you want to bring that steak down here.

B.T.T. I really enjoy not having to deal with politics when I get on here. I here all about that stuff all day on the news and at work. I get on here to discuss guns and related topics. I think the Mods here do a great job of keeping things enjoyable.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    Does anybody find it ironic that a forum about Smith & Wesson (I know the forum isn't run by S&W, so don't beat me up over that!).....is banning political posts......after what S&W did a few years ago?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

1943 - 2009

I was speaking rhetorically, I wasn't speaking for myself. Apparently that wasn't as clear as I thought.

The historical record abounds with instances of friends becoming bitter enemies because of politics. That's what I was talking about. I wasn't referring to this forum.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The problem with political opinion arises when one dismisses the fact that somebody else might be right........

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

I'd still buy anyone on this forum a steak dinner.

If I end up going to Jacksonville NC for work, I"ll let ya know.
    J/K, I agree with your sentiment though, as I feel the same way.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Senior Moderator
    I am down here in Gulfport, Ms right now, but I can get you the address if you want to bring that steak down here.
    I'll be in Brookhaven Ms. from Sept.20 to about Oct.20th. I have been asked to assist at the Grand Gulf Nuclear plant and am staying with some kinfolk there.If you can get up that way, that steak might be closer than you think...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
    The problem with political opinion arises when one dismisses the fact that somebody else might be right........
    Well, I for one certainly believe that everone is entitled to their opinion. (Even if it's wrong)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Personally, I think the mods on this forum manages to strike a nice balance between the free flow of ideas and the control of divisive discussion.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links