SSL/secure login?

This is a discussion on SSL/secure login? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I'd really love it if defensivecarry.com would implement https, so I could log in and view the forum over an encrypted, secure connection. Currently, authentication ...

Thread: SSL/secure login?

SSL/secure login?

I'd really love it if defensivecarry.com would implement https, so I could log in and view the forum over an encrypted, secure connection. Currently, authentication is occurring over an unsecured connection, so:

• someone using an unsecured, public Wifi connection (e.g. at a coffee shop) could have their password snatched right out of the air
    • someone using an anonymity network such as Tor could be vulnerable to exit node eavesdropping
    • pretty much any connection could be vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack

Just a suggestion!
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." - Thomas Paine

My public PGP key

2. Remove Ads

Just my opinion back, but it might be overkill to security enable DC.com. This is not a "high-security" site. There are no financial transactions, or any other high risk transmissions, other than occasional rants and political posts.

I would recommend that you just use a simple, "throw away" password, that you are not using for any other site login anywhere else.

Also, security certificates cost money, and since this is a free site (except for the great volunteer site supporters), it might be a burdensome expense to the administrator.

Anyway, that's my 2¢.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Just my opinion back, but it might be overkill to security enable DC.com. This is not a "high-security" site. There are no financial transactions, or any other high risk transmissions, other than occasional rants and political posts.

I would recommend that you just use a simple, "throw away" password, that you are not using for any other site login anywhere else.

Also, security certificates cost money, and since this is a free site (except for the great volunteer site supporters), it might be a burdensome expense to the administrator.

Anyway, that's my 2¢.
    I would say that this DC forum IS a financially risky site...every time I see another nice gun, I think about how I might buy it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DC Founder
    While I agree that many sites need to be secured, I don't believe we currently have that need. We have never had any reported incidents of accounts being compromised and not sure what someone would do if they did have a password to an account since we don't handle sensitive personal information. Those that donate to the forum do so through PayPal, which is over a secure, encrypted connection. The forum never has access to either your PayPal account or credit card information. All that is returned to us after the transaction is complete is a transaction number, member name, date/time and the amount donated. And that information is available only to me, as the site administrator.

It is a good idea, however, to safeguard your account by periodically changing your password. Those that may access the site through a public computer should also make certain that they log off completely before leaving the computer. Should you ever suspect that your account has been compromised, please let me know immediately. The vBulletin software does keep track of all IP addresses associated with, or used to access, member accounts. IPs originating through a proxy are summarily rejected.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would say that this DC forum IS a financially risky site...every time I see another nice gun, I think about how I might buy it!
    I never though about it that way. And gee, I'm picking up a new gun myself today. I guess you're right!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    The content of our wonderful site is not Secret or even Top Secret. If you are worried about man-in-the middle attacts, you should see what the staff at some NOCs do!

Watch out for the black helicopters circling your house right now. You have already been discovered.

Links