Biased deletions

Biased deletions

This is a discussion on Biased deletions within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Someone posted a political/ religious comment on a thread, I responded with my view, not being insulting in the least. A third person posted their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biased deletions

Biased deletions

Someone posted a political/ religious comment on a thread, I responded with my view, not being insulting in the least. A third person posted their opinion, which matched the previous posters comments but went a bit further. The thread was then closed based on Forum rule #8:

Quote:
    8. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we do not focus on these subjects in our discussions. We encourage you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.

Fine, not a problem but there was one post deleted, mine, not the other poster that said I would be burning based on different beliefs then them, not the post that raised the issue in the first place, just mine. I found that to be a bit strange and biased. Any other explanations would be welcomed

DC Founder
    Sounds to me like someone just missed the other person's post saying you would be burning in hell. I can tell you that we have no biases no on closing or deleting posts or threads. If they cross the line in our rules, they are handled. If you see another one that should have been deleted, it's probably because we're not perfect.

Post a link and I'll look into it, otherwise I can do nothing.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...k-white-2.html

I responded to post #19, civilly, just explaining my stances on the issues raised. Then in post #34 it states that they believe I will burn for not accepting Jesus.

I understand the purpose of the rule but being the first post was there I didn't think it was an issue to point out that I didn't fit the stereotype/ generalization made. I wasn't offended or being offensive in my reply. I did find the other post to be a bit offensive.

It's not the end of the world I just found it odd that of the three posts mine was the one deleted

1943 - 2009
    This is not meant to be a general discussion thread. The OP asked a question & Bumper said he would look into the matter.

Give him a chance to do that.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    ...Pro; Same sex marriage, I'm not gay...atheist...obviously pro second amendment
    Actually, that may have been edits that I made myself. I guess the point here is that the comments you made above had absolutely nothing to do with our focus here. You might want to review this thread for my previous comments about politics, which we have tried not to be too anal about as long as the political comments are primarily about the 2A or at least something that is within our focus. Sorry, but your post (that was quoted), instead, were all specifically against our rules. The quote of yours in post number 34 has been removed, although it now appears above in this post. I simply missed it when I was cleaning it up after the thread had been closed.

All that being said, we are rapidly approaching the implementation of a policy similar to that posted about in post 1 of this thread, if we cannot keep political comments related to either 2A or our focus, in general.

This is not a political forum, it never has been and never will be. This is partially because it is difficult to maintain order when members are arguing politics and partially because I simply do not want to know who you are voting for to keep my own biases in check. So, if you want to see bias in this forum, declare you are for the "other guy" and I will, unfortunately, probably have a bias against you for supporting someone that will run this country into the ground. Clear enough?
    Bumper

VIP Member
    Jim, I am running/supervising/Mother Den of a small forum of 110 members for our local IDPA club. The previous forum we had was so bad that we actually had members quit the club because of the ferocity verbal matches. Due to some circumstances the old site & forum went down and new ones got rebuilt. In the new forum the Moderators use DCs rules as guidance and I gave very stern warnings about no Cyber Gladiator fights in the forum. Still I had to place a member in limbo because he failed to follow the rules and we are 3 people editing, correcting and issuing polite warnings at least once a day. DC is what? 10K? 11? Bumper and the mods have to be swamped! Mistakes, real or perceived will happen.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Miggy - DC Member Count - 21,694 and growing every day. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    ...All that being said, we are rapidly approaching the implementation of a policy similar to that posted about in post 1 of this thread, if we cannot keep political comments related to either 2A or our focus, in general.

This is not a political forum, it never has been and never will be. This is partially because it is difficult to maintain order when members are arguing politics and partially because I simply do not want to know who you are voting for to keep my own biases in check. So, if you want to see bias in this forum, declare you are for the "other guy" and I will, unfortunately, probably have a bias against you for supporting someone that will run this country into the ground. Clear enough?
    With all respect, Bumper, as admin of a large forum, I sympathize and understand where you are coming from. However, do you think it is really possible to entirely divorce 2A and RKBA discussion from politics? The politics of RKBA and defense of the 2A is integral to any discussion. The problem is when the political discussion wanders away from those subjects. I don't see how you can realistically expect to eliminate all political discourse and still have discussions of RKBA and 2A. I don't see how you can discuss concealed carry without reference to RKBA and 2A, and so, their politics without severely limiting discussion subject areas. Maybe I'm wrong. There is an important difference between DC and the S&W forum, and that is our focus, here at DC - the right to carry.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    With all respect, Bumper, as admin of a large forum, I sympathize and understand where you are coming from. However, do you think it is really possible to entirely divorce 2A and RKBA discussion from politics? The politics of RKBA and defense of the 2A is integral to any discussion. The problem is when the political discussion wanders away from those subjects. I don't see how you can realistically expect to eliminate all political discourse and still have discussions of RKBA and 2A. I don't see how you can discuss concealed carry without reference to RKBA and 2A, and so, their politics without severely limiting discussion subject areas. Maybe I'm wrong. There is an important difference between DC and the S&W forum, and that is our focus, here at DC - the right to carry.
    There are politics associated with concealed carry, 2A and RKBA subjects. We know that and allow those discussions. We always have and always will. What we don't allow, and won't, are general political discussions involving everything else. This is not the place to launch into a general diatribe about party platforms, individual candidates, their policies or what he/she said on the news today, unless it is directly related to our topics.

It's not been easy to enforce our rules lately regarding politics and we have made some exceptions, but general political posts or threads will be deleted without notice. If things don't slow down considerably, we will start issuing infractions for these types of posts. We are going to remove general (non DC topic) political postings on this forum.

For those that don't know how infractions work, an infraction for breaking the rules results in a number of points being levied against a member. Once a member accumulates enough points, the infraction system considers them incorrigible and bans that member automatically. Repeatedly breaking the same rule results in points doubling each instance.

This election is probably the most important that we will vote in. I encourage each of you to do everything within your power to learn the issues and vote for the candidate that makes sense to you. By all means, post anything political that involves our area focus, but beyond those topics, however, we have no interest in your political beliefs. This is simply not the place to discuss general politics....
    Bumper

Visit runnersworld.com forums. Our moderators here not perfect? Close enough! IMO. We have the best moderators on the net.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sometimes the written word does not do justice to the intent, and I am sincerely sorry for any insult.

I'm greatful for this forum.

Thanis,
    If the apology was to me, thanks it was never big deal. I didn't think it was said with bad intent.

Back to the issue, I just responded to a post making generalizations about what a persons views on gun rights would be based on certain other issues.
    I won't bother doing so again, being I'm on double secret probation now

Back to the issue, I just responded to a post making generalizations about what a persons views on gun rights would be based on certain other issues.
    Yes, good tactics... keep poking the bear.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

DC Founder
    There is no "double secret probation" and if there was, you wouldn't be on it for so minor a thing as getting a post edited or deleted. Most people that get infractions simply take it like an adult and move on, but since you didn't get an infraction (nor even a warning) I guess that's what's different here....
    Bumper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links