Question About the Opening DC Screen

Question About the Opening DC Screen

This is a discussion on Question About the Opening DC Screen within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; When I log on to DC, I always go to the defensivecarry.com/vbulletin page, which I then navigate as desired. If I go to the root ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About the Opening DC Screen

Question Question About the Opening DC Screen

When I log on to DC, I always go to the defensivecarry.com/vbulletin page, which I then navigate as desired.

If I go to the root page, www.defensivecarry.com, I get a page which seems to show a bunch of random posts, and then "Latest Forum Topics" under that.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this page, either by user, number of posts or date/time posted.

Is there a way to make sense of this page, or am I missing something?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Actually, I never really pay it any attention. I usually go straight to new posts and see what is going on.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Same here. Hit the active topics mainly from the get-go. I've also used the search feature, checked out some of the links and galleries, and just recently used the blog thingy. I use a shortcut from my desktop, click on today's posts, and stay logged in. I think I know what you're talking about though. Page that lists newest members, most members ever online, etc.....at the bottom? I think it's mainly a statistics page for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Same here. Hit the active topics mainly from the get-go. I've also used the search feature, checked out some of the links and galleries, and just recently used the blog thingy. I use a shortcut from my desktop, click on today's posts, and stay logged in. I think I know what you're talking about though. Page that lists newest members, most members ever online, etc.....at the bottom? I think it's mainly a statistics page for the site.

I too use the shortcut from my desktop, but you can get to this page by just typing in www.defensivecarry.com. Also, when you are already browsing the forum, there seems to be no way to even get back to that page.

I just can't make sense of the info on it. Hoping that Bumper may chime in on this if he gets time.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Also, when you are already browsing the forum, there seems to be no way to even get back to that page.
    Is this the link? It's at the top left of the page...sort of like a line diagram to where you are now, and all the way to the beginning or left I think?
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/

Is this the link? It's at the top left of the page...sort of like a line diagram to where you are now, and all the way to the beginning or left I think?
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/
    No, the link is without the "vbulletin". As if you were going to the forum as a new member: www.defensivecarry.com

I think this page is even one "before" the one you are referring to. Going to the link I provided is the only (apparent) way to get to that page.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Yeah...okay, never been there before. I mean never. That is pretty wild though. I see what you mean.

Yeah...okay, never been there before. I mean never. That is pretty wild though. I see what you mean.
    Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one . Maybe Bumper can shed some more light on this.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

That's what I type in to get here, and I've never seen any rhyme or reason as to what posts are there. I always thought I was being discriminated against since none of the threads I have ever posted ever end up on the front page.

I had thought at some point that those 'new topics' were all under one of the forums, but I have yet to be able to decipher the meaning of it, but then again, I usually go straight to 'New Posts', so I was never too worried about what was on the front page.

I'm not even sure what the front page would look like if I wasn't already logged in.

I, too, await Bumper's answer.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    That's what I type in to get here, and I've never seen any rhyme or reason as to what posts are there. I always thought I was being discriminated against since none of the threads I have ever posted ever end up on the front page.
    You should use this link: www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/ as a shortcut. It will take you right to the forums.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    You should use this link: www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/ as a shortcut. It will take you right to the forums.
    If I am coming on from work, I prefer to keep it simple. I also don't want any shortcuts to defensivecarry on the computer, so I just type it in. The added vbulletin takes too much effort, after all, I'm at work. I just want to surf the internet. I would rather not type in all of that extra stuff.

In any case, from www.defensivecarry.com to New Posts is only a click away.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    When I log on to DC, I always go to the defensivecarry.com/vbulletin page, which I then navigate as desired.

If I go to the root page, www.defensivecarry.com, I get a page which seems to show a bunch of random posts, and then "Latest Forum Topics" under that.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this page, either by user, number of posts or date/time posted.

Is there a way to make sense of this page, or am I missing something?
    I always thought it was strange, but I just accepted it as one of those vBulletin things.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

DC Founder
    Actually, I posted something about deleting that page once and several people complained so I just left it. It is a just sort of a random summary of some of threads, statistics, etc for those that come in to the base URL. I could just as easily have a redirect bring them to the opening forum page and not have to update the darned thing when we get major upgrades....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I could just as easily have a redirect bring them to the opening forum page and not have to update the darned thing when we get major upgrades....
    Doesn't matter to me since I never really go to that page, but it might be a confusing page to prospective newcomers.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I keep the site up on my laptop at all times anyway, all I have to do is re-login from time to time but I have often wondered about that initial page and then my ADD...
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links