Search function popularity

This is a discussion on Search function popularity within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Well, it prompted me to finally create a signature for this site. I'm going to take Bumper up on his suggestion about a post to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Search function popularity

Well, it prompted me to finally create a signature for this site. I'm going to take Bumper up on his suggestion about a post to be linked to, but I've gotta think it over for a bit so I don't waste the mods' time with a quick-and-sloppy job.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

2. Remove Ads

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Well, it prompted me to finally create a signature for this site. I'm going to take Bumper up on his suggestion about a post to be linked to, but I've gotta think it over for a bit so I don't waste the mods' time with a quick-and-sloppy job.
    I think we have discussed this before in previous threads.

Problems with Search?

finding old posts

Search function not working??

Searching not bringing up results as expected

Use better key words in thread titles to aid search

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I think we have discussed this before in previous threads.
    Yup, about every 4 months or soooo....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

My least favorite is, "This may have already been posted, but..." Dude, would it kill you to take 30 seconds to search before you waste time and bandwidth?

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    My least favorite is, "This may have already been posted, but..." Dude, would it kill you to take 30 seconds to search before you waste time and bandwidth?
    I've occasionally posted such a thing when a <search> came up with no winners. Hard to say who's committed some effort prior to a posting and who hasn't. As several have suggested, a search doesn't reliably come up with the results someone else would find, when the search terms are different. Something to consider when bashing others for a presumed failure to search.

Here's a suggestion: When confronted by a nearly irresistible desire to bash someone for lack of search, why not simply do one quick search, present a suitable result in a link along with a statement such as "A quick search found this ..."? The target of your ire doesn't get flamed and dejected for being kicked by you (me, whomever), everyone gets another link to good info, and you (me, whomever) avoid(s) looking ham-handed in treatment of others. Win-win, one could say.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Point taken. Note that I have never even mentioned this before, so it's not like this is a personal attack.

However, that verbiage comes across to me as "I could have searched for this, but didn't feel like it. It's so important that you just HAVE to read it." And it's usually something off-topic that's on its 85th lap around the Internet.

Another option would be to say something like, "I couldn't find where this had been posted before." That shows that you gave it the ol' college try, which is all I expect.

If somebody is asking a question, I will do what I can to help them find an answer if not "the" answer. I will NOT use the search function to belittle somebody else, as I've seen done before. I'll just grumble to myself and keep surfin'. If my attitude is ham-handed, then I guess I'll have to work on that.
    Last edited by Herknav; November 24th, 2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Clarification
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Point taken.
    And I really wasn't flicking raspberries at you. We've all seen posts for which we know a dozen prior example threads exist out there. For those of us that have been doing the ol' bulletin board thang for some years, <search> is a matter of course. But then, so is the banter on the boards ... and that's half the fun. The beauty of a well-populated and -traveled board is that someone's got to know. It's often the fastest way to get an answer, all the while peppering the search engine in hopes of finding it first.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links