Search function popularity

This is a discussion on Search function popularity within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Can we get a banner that points out the search feature? Can anyone else think of a polite way to encourage use of the search ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search function popularity

Search function popularity

Can we get a banner that points out the search feature? Can anyone else think of a polite way to encourage use of the search feature?

-B

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    We already talked about that. Use the search feature.

Just Kidding

It would be an exercise in futility. Folks still won't use it.

I use the search feature often... I think it can use some refining, as i do not always get the thread i am looking for right away.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Can we get a banner that points out the search feature?
    It's in the top-10 links at the top of every page in every forum. I suppose it could be highlighted in a different color in a couple points larger than the surrounding text, but it's right there for all to see, as it is.

Can anyone else think of a polite way to encourage use of the search feature?
    We could all put "Use The Search" in our signature lines.

In this day of Google mania, it's hard to see how folks don't know about the utility of searching. I'm of the opinion it comes down to simple laziness, in many cases, but that's just a guess.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I dunno, I was thinking an additional page when registering. Put it in the "Terms and Conditions", and instead of having a checkbox have both a checkbox and textbox with a question whose answer would be located within the Terms and Conditions. Or mandate all signatures have "Search Function 2008: Discovery we can Believe in!" Or something.

It's almost frustrating when you can read a post and know beyond any doubt that the thought of searching the forums for existing information on the subject of interest never occurred to the person posting.

-B

DC Founder
    While I agree that people should use the search feature and I can do something to change the color of the tag in the blue navigation line to make it more prominent, you will not see a huge increase in it's use. Some people just don't, and won't, use it. As far as additional "terms and conditions" functionality, that would require custom coding changes which I avoid beyond where we are now. It makes it very difficult to upgrade the forum when we have too much custom code.

If anyone wants to post a thread with a complete and detailed explanation of how to use the search feature, I will stick it and add a link to the "welcome message" sent to all new members.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Search feature???? Whats that for????
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

For that matter we could just call for everyone to google everything first, then there would be no need to have a forum. If everyone did there own research chances are 99.9% of every question would be answered without a post.

Forums like traffic, it gets them more sponsors. If people do not want to re-visit he same tired old topics they can easily choose not to click on the post

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
    For that matter we could just call for everyone to google everything first, then there would be no need to have a forum.
    Google is merely a search mechanism. It isn't content. For that, we'll always have discussion forums. Google will just remain one other somewhat-viable alternative for finding certain content. In my experience, though, Google doesn't hold a candle to the basic search tool inherent in the average vBulletin forum (for the forum's own content).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

To me, the search feature sure beats subscribing to all of those threads I've muddled through! I'm not always successful with the search feature, and it may have to do with my keywords from memory, but I try.

Don't most guys just scroll through all the stuff on top until they reach the subforum they want anyway? I'd like to see some automatic "dummy" icon pop up when the exact same question has already been covered.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Searches can save a lot of time. Those new to the forum or any forum have trouble doing simple things and perhaps don't realize 'why' to use the search feature.

But...

I've used the search feature to find some of my own posts from many moons ago without luck...I guess I have to practice up on my 'key words'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I feel the biggest reason Search isn't so popular is because a lot of people post stupid titles to their new thread. A lot of them have absolutely no relativity to whats inside the thread as to content and those using search just end up with a ton of titles that have to be muddled through to check content, sometimes to no avail.

Summary? More clear and accurate post subject titles!
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Search is a great feature but there are some drawbacks.

First, if your new you really don't know the terminology you're searching for. Hmmm, I want a holster for my new gun, so I'll search for "holster". Wow, way too much information to filter through. Much easier to ask my question by starting a new thread.

Secondly, the search is limited to whatever vBulletin decides to include or not include. I've spent a lot of time looking for things I know I've read here, but just can't find again. I don't think Bumper has much control over the search engine itself.

I may be the exception to the rule, but when I do the holster search I actually learn a lot because I'm willing to read and sort through the posts. I think most people want an instant answer. Computers and software have advanced a lot and are currently advancing, but this isn't the Enterprise computer (yet) and I think that's what some people are expecting.

Another thing most people new to computers or forums may not know yet is "Searching" is almost an art form. Sometimes it takes time to find the one thing you are looking for. Many times if it's a topic I'm unfamiliar with I'll do a broad search (like holsters) then narrow it down to "leather holsters", read some more then narrow it further to "custom leather holsters" and then finally stumble upon what I was looking for in the first place. It can be time consuming.

I honestly can't remember any specifics but I know I've found stuff on Google that pointed here, but could not find using the DC search. Different search engines do not all behave the same.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    Another thing most people new to computers or forums may not know yet is "Searching" is almost an art form.
    Good point. Librarians are essentially expert searchers, amongst other things. That takes time and training.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links